Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio signal controlled watch

Options
  • 21-03-2007 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone might clear up a mystery for me.

For about 6 months, my snazzy watch has been in touch with London during the night and when I wake up, the little signal jobbie is on the screen which says it has updated the time for me. Its nice to know its always correct.

Over the past 2 weeks it has given up talking to London and doesnt bother doing any of the cool updating stuff, even if I manually get it to scan for the time.

So.. I assumed by snazzy watch was broken. Until.. I went to Dublin for the night at the weekend and all of a sudden, its back... until I got home to Waterford that is.. now it isnt bothering again.

Has anyone else come across this problem? I didnt think it was a range issue because it worked fine for months!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

whats the make and model of watch...

Maybe is does'nt like blaaaaaa's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Trotter wrote:
    Maybe someone might clear up a mystery for me.

For about 6 months, my snazzy watch has been in touch with London during the night and when I wake up, the little signal jobbie is on the screen which says it has updated the time for me. Its nice to know its always correct.

Over the past 2 weeks it has given up talking to London and doesnt bother doing any of the cool updating stuff, even if I manually get it to scan for the time.

So.. I assumed by snazzy watch was broken. Until.. I went to Dublin for the night at the weekend and all of a sudden, its back... until I got home to Waterford that is.. now it isnt bothering again.

Has anyone else come across this problem? I didnt think it was a range issue because it worked fine for months!

Hey Trotter

Is it a casio wave ceptor.
    I have one of them and it gets updated nightly.
    The only time it didnt work was if I left it in a drawer or something( therefore couldnt pick up the signal)
    You havent changed where you leave it at night by any chance.

Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Maybe the batteries on its way out and can now only pick up stronger signals?
    Maybe it doesn't like colder weather.. ;)

*edit*: Just checked and both Waterford and Dublin are equidistant from London..
    Maybe there are some mountains in the way though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its a Lorus LCD watch. Maybe its a battery thing.. Dunno about the mountains though, I havent moved house since I bought it!

Nothin at all has changed except the signal isnt getting there. Odd!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think that the signal is actually comming from Rugby. Mine sometimes goes for a few days without getting a signal though for no apparent reason. Also there is another transmitter that mine will pick up in Frankfurt for the Centra European time but it never seems to have any trouble getting that signal where ever I am in Europe compared to picking up the UK signal from the UK or Ireland which is a much smaller area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Trotter wrote:
    Its a Lorus LCD watch. Maybe its a battery thing.. Dunno about the mountains though, I havent moved house since I bought it!

Have the mountains moved maybe? ;)

Did you moved the position of the clock lately (other corner of the room etc)? Maybe place it near the window for a test if you do a manual scan. I have one here as well whose contact (to Frankfurt - it's a german clock) only works if placed near the window to catch the signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Have the mountains moved maybe? ;)

Did you moved the position of the clock lately (other corner of the room etc)? Maybe place it near the window for a test if you do a manual scan. I have one here as well whose contact (to Frankfurt - it's a german clock) only works if placed near the window to catch the signal.

Its a watch.. so I've tested it indoors and outdoors at this stage. Its a bummer.

Advertisement