Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mixed signature rules

Options
  • 21-03-2007 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Today there are no guidelines for mixed sigs (text & pics) so the sigs are overflowing with little counters and a few forum logos and a cute poem etc etc... I'm not going to name any particular users here but look in the SIGPO thread if you need examples.
    Also todays image rules only allow for a single picture, something that a lot of users break.

Therefore I suggest Clouds original guidelines be amended according to the below text.

Text only: 4 lines normal size OR 8 lines small size, including space lines and up to 90 chars per line. No text size bigger than 2.
    Images only: Max 10 images including counters and userbars, all totalling no more than 30 KB; 125 px high and 400 px wide.
    (New) Mixed sig (text/pics): Only small size text allowed 4 lines (incl space lines), images (counters, userbars or regular) as above.
    What we want to do is to reduce the total height of the sig. Particularly space lines that can add a lot to the sigs height. With max image 125 px and 4 small text lines it's still quite high.

Quotes are allowed but animated sigs are a big no-no.
    Same sig rules for mods, subscribers and newbies.
    At the moderators discretion - clearly offensive text or images will be removed and a ban can be handed out.

This is max allowed height mixed:
    31404-L-1.jpg
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam ultricies. Aliquam posuere. Cras adipiscing nibh sit amet arcu. Cras libero felis, porta in, posuere eget, nonummy in, enim. Vivamus sollicitudin pede id odio consequat scelerisque. Aliquam erat volutpat. In sollicitudin mi sit amet velit. Vivamus eu leo eget leo tincidunt nonummy. Fusce massa. Pellentesque lorem tortor, condimentum ut, dignissim ut, molestie vitae, neque. Fusce sit amet lorem vel erat vehicula commodo.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think that's too much text. One image or multiple images not exceeding 125 pixels height and 300 pixels in width with a weight of less than or approximately 20kb.

For mixed sigs, the image rules should apply, but there should be only one line of text. No quotes. The reason for no quotes is that it interrupts the thread because it looks like it's part of the thread, as far as I can see.

The total height of the sig shouldn't be more than about 175 pixels. Even at that, I think tall sigs are ugly.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah those sound like decent rules. Its an area we would clean up but the next version of vB has some rules logic for sigs in it apparently. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You should try hiding sigs for a day.
    I haven't looked back :)
    You can always open someones user profile if you're desperate enough to see what crudd they have in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DeVore wrote:
    Yeah those sound like decent rules. Its an area we would clean up but the next version of vB has some rules logic for sigs in it apparently. :)

DeV.

Oh buggar..

(Like my good self, my signature might look small on the outside, it is amazingly complex and interesting on the inside and if needed CAN **** LIKE A TIGER ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You can always open someones user profile if you're desperate enough to see what crudd they have in it.
    I would be of the same view. Sigs get boring to look at over and over again. Set them to invisible ages ago and haven't missed them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Rabies wrote:
    I would be of the same view. Sigs get boring to look at over and over again. Set them to invisible ages ago and haven't missed them at all.

Minimalist ftw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I hid them from day one. Having tried it both way's i found it far easier to read through threads without the clutter of sigs.

EDIT: No both ways jokes please. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I find it entertaining that most of the people who've said that they block sigs have one... What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I for one am intrigued by the sekrit missing image in pams sig....hmmmm...this page intentionally blank?
    [missing image here]

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i blocked them first time I came on, have never seen anyones sig on any forum that didn't make them look like a pratt. Besides it gives threads a much cleaner look.

I just don't understand why people have them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Faith wrote:
    I find it entertaining that most of the people who've said that they block sigs have one... What's the point?

I added the one i have a few days ago to help me to navigate to the forum as it was new forum and i was having trouble finding it. All i have to do now is click on my username and then click on the sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You can just Subscribe to the forum (Forum Tools->Subscribe to Forum) and have all your favourite ones showing in the Subbed menu. Easy peasy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Faith wrote:

Because I don't look at others I'm not supposed to have one?

You don't like it, turn 'em off :)

I did have dialup for quite a long time and sigs/avatars turned off was better. Find it hard to view boards when them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ruu wrote:
    You can just Subscribe to the forum (Forum Tools->Subscribe to Forum) and have all your favourite ones showing in the Subbed menu. Easy peasy. :)
    Of course, with the Javascript problem thats showing up in certain browsers, you may have to temporarily change the time range on the forum page such that you only have a single page of posts before you can get at the subscription option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Faith wrote:
    Well do you always look at yours? Thats if you have one of course, I can't see :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Of course, with the Javascript problem thats showing up in certain browsers, you may have to temporarily change the time range on the forum page such that you only have a single page of posts before you can get at the subscription option.
    Easier to right-click on the forum tools link and select "open in new tab" or "open in new window". This will bring you to a version of the forum page with non-javascript versions of the tools at the bottom automatically scrolling to those tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

So you've never seen my picture of a man eating his own head? How dissapointing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Sigs make me lol :) sometimes....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

DeVore wrote:

DeV.
    So Dev, we'll just wait for the next version on vB?
    If so this thread can be locked.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well, this is an interesting topic and often people come up with ideas that we include or amend. In fact right now there are two discussions going on about political party advertising in sigs... most of them are mixed sigs too. We have to revamp the sig rules to accomodate them and perhaps rejig them entirely.

I'm waiting to see what the new vB gives me in terms of control as it might be pre-inventing the wheel if we set rules down now.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Couple of sigs on this thread break the rules, including mine. Where are the sigpo when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I agree, all these animated sigs make me sick, where is the sigpo when they are needed!

Won't somebody think of my bandwidth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

But then you miss out on gems like this;

centipedes_in_vagina.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any chance we can address these issues? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sully never forgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Biko's original idea would stand, but for the ridiculous amount of text.

Amps sig is a lesson in condensed plenty, but very few will take the time to tidy theirs to this extent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

rkm wrote: »
    Sully never forgets.

No, biko never forgets. He pointed it out, im just bumping it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As a start suggestion, slightly revised from OP.

One or more images not exceeding 125px high / 500px wide / 25kB total. This will allow flickr userbars etc.

Text:
    4 lines normal size OR 8 lines small size, including space lines and up to 90 chars per line. This includes space lines.

Images and text together is ok (today it's actually not allowed, technically)

No text size bigger than 2.
    No animation.
    No centred nor right justified.
    No quote tags.
    No company advertisements.
    Same rules for every user of the site.

Moderators of forum can have rules in their charters about what sigs are allowed in their forum. Only content, not hight/width etc.

Signatures that can be deemed offensive or out of order can be removed even if they adhere to general rules.

Below is the new max (suggestion remember :-)
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam ultricies. Aliquam posuere. Cras adipiscing nibh sit amet arcu. Cras libero felis, porta in, posuere eget, nonummy in, mi sit amet velit. Vivamus eu leo eget leo tincidunt nonummy. Fusce massa. Pellentesque lorem tortor, condimentum ut, dignissim ut, molestie vitae, neque. Fusce sit amet

adipiscing elit. Aliquam ultricies. Aliquam posuere. Cras adipiscing nibh sit amet arcu. Cras libero felis, porta in, posuere eget, nonummy in, enim. Vivamus sollicitudin pede id odio consequat molestie vitae, neque. Fusce sit amet lorem vel erat vehicula commodo. Cras libero felis, porta in, posuere eget, nonummy in, enim. Vivamus sollicitudin pede id odio consequat scelerisque. Aliquam erat volutpat. In sollicitudin mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Jesus, that's worse.

I think hulla's idea on limiting text for those with images is the way to go.

Also, the flickr sigs should be allowed (formally), and max image dimensions adjusted to suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No political sigs please, they can be very divisive.

Advertisement