Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Roast lamb, floury boiled potatoes in their jackets, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and peas, with mint sauce and gravy.

Oh my, mmm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A really good fillet steak drizzled with garlic butter and mashed potatoes last night. Shepherd's pie tonight. Nearly ready!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Made a gorgeous wild venison stew the other day, totally delicious and only €5 for all the ingredients including the meat.

Tonight it will be roasted lamb's hearts with something. Haven't decided on the something yet though. Lamb's hearts were also suprisingly good value at 63 cent each and fresh in this morning to the butcher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Fair play tSubh, that sounds interesting. What's lamb's heart like? Have you tried it before? Would you normally only start the prep around this time?

Sorry for the barrage of questions :-)

Oh, I was lazy last night. Went out for a Steak Sambo.

My mum used to cook hearts for us all the time when I was younger, especially on Valentine's day (yes, she has that kind of sense of humour)

They're a bit tough as they're pure muscle but for that reason they're lean and probably have the least amount of fat that you're going to get on meat. I think they taste fantastic though, but maybe I'm just a bit weird as I'm a bit of an offal fiend.

Going by my mum they should take about 40 mins to an hour to cook, depending on the oven, at about 180 C. Timing wise I'm a bit later starting than I should be, but I'm feeling lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My own mother used to cook hearts for us too, still does on occasion, delicious stuff altogether.

Cool, thanks. Enjoy! What's in your avatar jar BTW?

Cool, thanks. Enjoy! What's in your avatar jar BTW?
    Me or tSD?

It's a jar of jam in her's I reckon, given her username. Red Jam.

tSubh. Thanks Des, you're probably correct :)

Yup, it's heart-shaped strawberry jam :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Home made quiche with a garden rocket salad with avocado and figs and fig vinegarette. Yesterday was honey chicken with bamboo shoots. Tonight will be a packet of noodles in front of the telly as I am officially all creatived out.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Quick and easy:

fry Chopped mushrooms and garlic in olive oil, then add thyme, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.

Toast some crusty bread, then spread\melt some soft cheese on top (I used a small amount of feta). Then serve with the mushrooms on the toast.

:D nice

Shepards Pie last night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had porridge from the Porridge man for brunch today. I must say, it's one of the best inventions ever: Fast-food porridge. He's got a little van thingy and sells all sorts of flavoured porridge. Mmm, healthy!

http://www.stoatsporridgebars.co.uk/

Only available in Scotland right now, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Mac and cheese! Yummy delicious cheesy baked goodness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Chicken enchiladas, with salsa and creme fraische, spiced rice and salad.

Tonight will probably be a nibbles dinner as we're having some friends round for Halloween fun...melon and strawberry chunks, corn chips and salsa, pizza fingers, spicy mulled wine and tea-brack...and I'll try to avoid the chocolate!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Home made quiche with a garden rocket salad with avocado and figs and fig vinegarette. Yesterday was honey chicken with bamboo shoots. Tonight will be a packet of noodles in front of the telly as I am officially all creatived out.

Mmm sounds nice, what sort of quiche did you make? I only ever make one sort, broccoli and cheese but would love another idea!

I have a 10" loose bottom pie dish that cooks shortcrust pastry to a dream, so I use 9oz flour, 4.5 oz butter, a pinch of salt and about 3 tblsp iced water to make the pastry.

I also have a two-pint mixing jug, and I have an idea on the jug of what volume will fill my quiche tin (about 1.5 pints).

Depending what's available and the size the eggs are, I'll use a combination of:

8 - 12 eggs
    between two and four handfuls of grated cheddar
    a splash of milk, usually used to bring the ingredients level up to the required volume

That's my basic mix. Less cheese and more eggs/milk gives a lighter quiche in texture, but I use quiche in a way similar to using frittatta, to get rid of whatever is in the fridge...

So I'll add broccolli that I've steamed first and allowed to cool, but also mushrooms (fry them off first), spring onions, chives, red or green capsicum (pepper) chopped finely and also fried off first, chopped tomatoes, or halved cherry tomatoes, and then a pig-based meat product - so either trimmed and chopped rashers, fried off, or strips of ham, or better yet the stringy pieces you can pull off a piece of corned beef or corned pork the day after it's been cooked.

I mix all my filling ingredients in my large jug (ensuring the ones that have been fried off are cooled before adding them) and then pour the lot into the raw pastry case. My tin has a loose bottom that has a load of holes in it so the pastry case cooks beautifully without needing to be blind-baked before hand.

I always season with fresh ground black pepper and a big handful of chopped fresh parsley, but will scrimp on the salt if I've used bacon in the ingredients.

I stick it in the oven at gas mark 5 for an hour and it rises into a thing of beauty (and then sinks a little disappointingly as it cools, but hey).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I made a quiche lorraine during the summer. I was given about 40 pheasants eggs by a driver at work, and thought a quiche would be a good way to use them up. The result was so rich that a small finger would suffice. Ended up taking it into work to feed the gang because it was too much for us at home. Pheasant eggs are about half the size of a chicken eggs with a larger volume of yolk to white. Very good in baking apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

last night i was on the breadline so had to do what was in the fridge (which wasnt a whole pile!) so had a Chicken, Cheese, Tomato and Pasta bake, it was nice i am surprised to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roasted a shoulder of lamb with cumin, paprika and salt rub.
    Slices of that in a large flat bread with homous, salad and hot sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

blah wrote: »
    Quick and easy:

fry Chopped mushrooms and garlic in olive oil, then add thyme, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.

Toast some crusty bread, then spread\melt some soft cheese on top (I used a small amount of feta). Then serve with the mushrooms on the toast.

:D nice

I spent half a day thinking about this idea, then went home and made it, but with goat's cheese. Even my boyfriend, who doesn't like mushrooms, thought it was great. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bacon, spuds & curly kale.

Tonight it's grilled salmon with boiled baby potatoes, carrots and green beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spaghetti bolognese with peas tonight, Tuna pie last night (and for todays lunch!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Three pints of Guinness & a Jameson for dinner last night. :o

Had a ridiculously salty bacon sandwich from a caff this morning - absolutely disgusting. :mad:

I'm thinking fish and chips tonight. Definitely.

Hey majd, have you tried Baramundi yet?

Delicious fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

last night tomato, basil and pasta soup, lamb with potatos and peas and the most delicious gravy known to man!
    tonight: who knows - going away for the weekend so i'll be eating whatever the hotel chef makes me :D

• Advertisement

A fry. Yes a fry.

Sausages, pudding, rashers, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, spice burgers, egg, fried bread and a mug of steaming tea.

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement