Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Once again, I find myself having fallen out of practice of posting here...

Tonight, we had beef and chorizo stew served with tagliatelle.

Fry off chorizo cut into strips.
    Remove from pan, but leave the oil in there.
    Fry off some onion and red pepper in the oil. Remove from pan.
    Jack up teh heat, fry off strips of beef, throw the rest back in, add a spoonful of flour.
    Deglaze with sherry, add water to make a sauce, and maybe a touch of stock if the sauce isn't rich enough.
    Mix through fresh pasta, and sprinkle finely cut spring-onion greens over before serving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 anthonno

Had this for lunch today. Started it when I got up, so it was cooked in plenty of time and did not leave us sitting drooling looking at the oven door.

Beef stew with red wine and herbs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

had mashed spuds with cheese, cauliflour, stuffing and chicken breast wrapped in rashers. was gorgeous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Chicken and leek pie her indoors whipped up, scrummy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

Cabbage and bacon, old sytle! with mashed spuds and brown sauce. mix the cabbage, spuds, brown sauce and a knob of butter, and mash oooo delis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had home-made burgers. I overdid it on the salt and they were pretty bad. Thursday was meatballs. Wednesday was gourmet mac 'n' cheese. Tuesday was moussaka, and everything before that is a blur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Odd mix of food today. Lunch was mostly home made - chicken liver pate and red onion marmalade I did myself, toasted sourdough (did the toasting bit :D), blue cheese, sliced apples and some prosciutto.

Dinner, slow cooked pork belly. Will be double cooking for tommorrow with bacon and cabbage, and stir fry some with chili bean oil and buttered noodles.

The dressing on this is nice and salty. Made a lovely lunch with some white rolls.

Salad Nicoise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Cod, salad, crusty bread and peas.

Made this up as I was going along, but it turned out quite well.

Teriyaki chicken with noodles and stir fried vegetables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Venison with a chocolate & raspberry vinegar sauce; moussaka; braised red cabbage; anya potatoes; goats cheese salad; sourdough loaves; aubergines with feta, mint, pinenuts & dried cranberries. Family party. Carrot cake; tiramisu; chocolate cake.

goodfella's chicken bbq pizza and potatoe salad ummm!
    Today I made tomatoe soup for starters, and roast beef, with potatoes for our sunday lunch hopefully it will taste as nice as it smells!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bit of a made up lasagne.

Onion, garlic, chicken breasts, kidney beans, cannellini beans and tomato sauce. Fried the onion, garlic and chopped chicken pieces. Made the sauce using two tins of tomatoes, parsley, basil, tomato puree, a little bit of tabassco sauce, cayenne pepper, rosemary and a touch of milk. Mixed this together and put a bit of it in with the chicken. Then I worked on building the layers of the lasagne, had to use a second tray because the mixture was rather large. Used a block of cheese and three mozzarella balls. Cooked it for about 40 mins.

Quite tasty if a little dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Minder wrote: »
    Last night was an individual venison pie - shortcrust base & puff pastry lid, served with boiled spuds and buttered spinach. The pies were made weeks back and freeze really well - can even be reheated from frozen. Beats baked beans.

Sounds yum Minder. Can I ask what you dish you cook the individual pies in? Have been looking for dishes to do something similiar, but all seem too small!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sounds yum Minder. Can I ask what you dish you cook the individual pies in? Have been looking for dishes to do something similiar, but all seem too small!

I found some individual metal pie dishes on a website ages ago. Sorry, can't remember the name, but I do remember it was an effort to find some.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary, roast potatoes, diced carrot and turnip, broccoli, gravy and mint sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

Roast leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary, roast potatoes, diced carrot and turnip, broccoli, gravy and mint sauce.
    snap

Roast pork, peas, sweetcorn, gravy, roast potatoes and apple sauce

Saturday was goulash, courtesy of Mrs. Bonkey.
    Yesterday was roast chicken, roast spuds, and veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Shepards pie..again, but a very very naughty banofee pie for after (thank god for Carnation pre made toffee goo)!

• Advertisement

Today I had a chicken burger, with mushrooms (microwaved with butter, dash of salt, pepper & butter for 40 seconds), onion, rocket & corn. Yum except I totally burnt the chicken burger, better luck tomorrow night!

Vietnamese sweet claypot pork with a second dish of pork belly with chili bean sauce and spices, with rice and stir fried greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Just after finishing off a fresh?? chicken and vegetable soup(brothy without the barley) made it yesterday(?) but I baked some yeast brown bread to night(children love to see bread treble in size) put the two together.
    Simple but absolutely fulfilling in this cold weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Like some others, I've fallen out of the habit of posting here (have been cooking and eating, though!).

Last night did lamb leg steaks pan seared and low oven cooked till pink but tender with fried polenta wedges and a tomato sauce with roast red pepper, pinenuts and marjoram.

Same thing reheated tonight! (the mrs is away, so its amazing I'm cooking at all - cooked a beef stew on Sat and had that on Sunday too, so being quite good)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Made these a couple of weeks ago actually, but just posting now:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5326

The burgers were just minced beef with some spice. Here's the recipe for the buns, if anyone's interested:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/11877

Last night had steak and eggs with chips. Quick and easy.

I had pasta with pesto and garlic doughballs.

Last night was picata milanese. Luverly it was, too.

Tonight, we shall have rack of lamb roasted with a herb, garlic and breadcrumb coat. This will be served with potato and leek gratin, and a not-quite-ratatouille of mediterannean veg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

The last few days have been spend at home in chill and Ive been foraging in a few different houses.

Monday was steak and all the trimmings and yesterday was bacon chops (delicious invention, like a rasher you dream about – an inch thick and not too salty) – not to be confused with normal pork chops. Fried onions and really creamy mash and lathers of butter over it all.

I.am.the.size.of.a.small.house.scratch.that.big.big.big.house.

Worth.it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

Minder wrote: »
    I found some individual metal pie dishes on a website ages ago. Sorry, can't remember the name, but I do remember it was an effort to find some.
    I bought some white oval ceramic ones in Heatons for €2 each.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement