Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Decided to be brave and had devilled lambs hearts.....surprisingly tasty and so cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I knew I was doing something with prawns and noodles but was in a bit of a haze today, so just threw stuff in. Melted butter with garlic oil and threw in frozen prawns and peas, boiled up some egg noodles, threw in chicken stock, peanut butter, sweet chillie, chinese five spice, bit of pepper, and coconut into the prawns and boiled it up and threw it over the noodles.
    Was suprised it turned out nice, bit soggy but not bad considering I wasn't bothered.

Ice floats for dessert, cherry ice cream and coke poured over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Roast beef, mushy peas, roast potatoes, and gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

steak sandwich with salad & chips-so nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Smoked haddock, parsley sauce & new baby pots and basil peas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds nice, steak, salad and chips. Can't go wrong there, great combo.

Had (I didn't have to cook it woohoo) roast turkey with roast carrot, onion, parsnip and turnip..suprisingly nice coz I don't even like the usual mashed turnip.
    Roast spuddies, stuffing and gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fired up the BBQ. Had a few sausages, some steaks marinated in garlic, rosemary and thyme, some lamb in cumin, smoked paprika and salt, and some home-made burgers with various fresh herbs and garlic mixed through. That with a simple chopped salad with a dijon mustard dressing, and griddled asparagus from the BBQ with a knob of butter and a squeeze of lemon. Asparagus is in season down here, it's cheap as chips. Went down well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

A week ago I bought a brisket of beef. Brined it for 7 days and we had it yesterday with cabbage cooked in the stock, mashed spuds, parsley sauce and loads of mustard.

Yesterday went and raided the herb garden, and had sausages (needed to be used after the barbecue), pan fried, sitting on a mush of cannellini beans, cooked with garlic, sage and thyme, on rice cooked in stock flavoured with thyme and rosemary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Saturday:

Peppered Steak, carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy.

Sunday:

Soup

Monday (Today):

Chicken wings

• Advertisement

Mushroom soup for us tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Red wine, chorizo and pea risotto served with asparagus and crusty bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

meatloaf, cabbage, black eyed beans, and garlic muffins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 anthonno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I made Colcannon with paprika pork chops. I also, joy of joys, found out that the fancy off licence down the road from me sells magners. It's made my year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had the folks around for lunch yesterday:

Bacon (honey and mustard dressed) and cabbage (stirfried, and boiled to ****e for the Da), carrots and parsley sauce with mash.

YUmm - recently converted to parsley sauce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

and tonight was Bubble and Squeak/Colcannon.
    All the leftovers used up!!:D

Last night I made a pasty-style filling, inspired by Des's recipe of the week, and made a coupe of pasties, and a few pies - changed the filling ingredients to use up what I had in the fridge, used puff pastry instead of shortcrust, and added cheese (because, if you've never made pies, and depending on the ingredients, adding a layer of grated cheese under the pie lid can be the absolute MAKING of a pie.)

Chips, rashers, beans and fried egg for us tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

anthonno wrote: »
    Is that your blog, anthonno (I guess it is from the name in the blog and your Boards moniker...)?

Yes it is. Is that not allowed? I thought it was just selling stuff that was out of bounds. I am not selling anything. No ads on the blog either.

Anthony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had chicken soup from a leftover roast chicken...shredded chicken, lots of sautéed vegetables, garlic, sweetcorn and rice, cooked in a tasty stock with a little tomato puree and black pepper. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Last night I made a pasty-style filling, inspired by Des's recipe of the week, and made a coupe of pasties, and a few pies - changed the filling ingredients to use up what I had in the fridge, used puff pastry instead of shortcrust, and added cheese (because, if you've never made pies, and depending on the ingredients, adding a layer of grated cheese under the pie lid can be the absolute MAKING of a pie.)

What filling did you make? I remember in Oz all the pies had cheese in them, nyom

Ham Salad sandwiches yesterday for us.

Today we have family coming over so we're having;

Roast Beef, carrots, brocolli, peas, potatoes and gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we ate breaded chicken breasts with lemon garlic potatoes, roasted carrots and corn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Im so miserable. Im ill today - the first day Ive managed to take off in the last ten :(

I have lovely steak in the fridge and baby pots and mushrooms and onions and demi glace to make the pepper sauce with, but Im so nauseous I can hardly type without wanting to throw up.

So thats what I didnt have for dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Just made a sort of chicken, garlic and white wine risotto, but it wasn't really a "risotto" because I used brown rice instead of risotto rice- I just don't like the texture of it.

It was absolutely amazing.

This turned out to be a lot more work than I thought. Will use a stock cube next time. Nice soup though. I made the bread to go with it too. Very nice. And all because I found some Emmental in Tesco for half price:D

French Onion Soup

• Advertisement

What filling did you make? I remember in Oz all the pies had cheese in them, nyom

Fried off some beef mince and some onion, with some carrot and celery. Added fresh thyme and a sprig of fresh rosemary, along with a half a head of shredded cabbage, and a few cubed potatoes. Allowed to cook with lid on so the cabbage and spuds would cook in the steam, then added some beef stock cubes, and a good splash of worcestershire sauce. Pepper and salt, and a tablespoon of flour to thicken, lid on, heat all the way down. Stir every so often to prevent sticking and/or burning. The cabbage was a nice touch, added a good flavour but cooked down well to become part of the filling. Threw in peas at the last so they wouldn't cook into mush. So lots of veg, basically!

Last night had shindig, and broke out the barbecue - did the firm favourites; grilled sausages with grilled onions, home-made beef burgers with herbs and garlic; steaks marinated in rosemary, garlic, olive oil and black pepper, and lamb chops in cumin/paprika/salt meshwi mix. Serve with crushed potatoes with butter, salt and chopped parsley, and a chopped salad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement