Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Made pizza from scratch last night. didnt realise how easy it actually is! hahah had mozerella and pepperoni on top! nom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Planning on some Spicy Tuna and Garlic Pasta

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Kitchen expirements tonight.

Earl Grey panacottta with lavendar and blackberry compote - excellent! Really loved it. Finally got the tea/cream ratio taste right. Was driving me nuts for a while - think its cos I dont like milky tea.

I smoked some nuts (oh to be in AH sometimes) in my whole smoking frenzy (its going well! Will report soon! - ref to Deepsense posts if you dont know what Im on about) - unusual and made my mouth worry. Will not be putting dried chillis inth echippings again....bad bad mistake. I nearly wiped Doneycarney off the map with a localised equivilent of mace (not the herb kind)

Lyons tea - no way. Barrys still rules no matter what tea pot you use. Long running arguement here.

Taking the mushrooms out tomorrow! Im both curious and scared of dying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

bonkey wrote: »
    How can you say this, and not share?????

;)
    You tease! Give it over!

Or Ill set the rosemary on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tonight, we had pan-fried wild salmon with a saffron-cream sauce, served with baby new potatoes, and spinach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 anthonno

Chicken breast coated in pesto and cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and served with sticky carrots, mashed potatoes and asparagus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night Mrs Beer did chicken thighs roast with soy, honey, ginger, garlic, spring onion and Shaoxing wine (dry sherry would do too). Served with braised cabbage and Thai fragrant rice!
    All washed down with a bottle of Sancerre .

VERY nice it was too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Last night we had Indian Spiced Lamb Burgers - Lamb mince with coriander, onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, garam masala - and fried potatoes.

For dessert we had Poached Spiced Pears with icecream and chocolate sauce, yum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Steak, mashed potatoes, carrots and pepper sauce for us tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

^ Almost the same...Angus striploins were half price in Tesco, so we threw a couple on the pan and ate them medium rare with some home-made rooster wedges, fried mushrooms, onions and pepper sauce. Melt in the mouth; fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I had some kitchen time today so made dinner and dessert. Dinner was rib eye steaks with chips, a spinach pot with cream and gruyere cheese; and a confited half head of garlic.

Dessert was a recipe from David Everitt Mathias' book of the same name. I made a caramel icecream flavoured with wattleseeds; a wattleseed cream; filo pastry crisps and a caramel sauce. Great dessert and a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

had some sushi, with haddock, cod, salmon and chicken tonight. :-P nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Nothing new here, chicken..again.
    Really taking advantage of Dunnes free range chicken offers. Got 50% extra free. So coated the chicken in sunflower oil, garlic oil, thyme, rosemary and loads of paprika and salt n pepper. Roasted it for a hour and baked some spuds along with it then stuffed them with loads of cheese.
    So lazy didn't even bother with veg sorry I didn't now, a few roasted carrots would of been nice.

Made another attempt at Brownies for dessert, bit undercooked but still full of chocolatey naughtyness. Lethal dessert though with a pile of sugar, butter and chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 anthonno

We had lamb jalfrezi with cous cous. Used paste, but it worked out nice.

Lamb jalfrezi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

red thai chicken curry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Last night it was roast chicken and ham with a selction of veg, Chips and gravy.

Today it was steak with baked potato and grilled mushrooms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Last night was spicy chicken & veg stir fry with chilli mayonnaise on a flatbread.

Tonight its pork chops, roast potatoes, onion gravy and some veg of some sort. Can't wait.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Shepard's Pir for us tonight.

My mam's first time to make it, hope it's nice!

Tonight we had a fab prawn stir fry with organic raw prawns (so hard to find!), bok choy, onion, Chinese spring onion, baby corn, sugar snap peas and water chestnuts, with a ginger and sweet chilli sauce and basmati.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Inspired by foodaholic's Week 12 recipe, this is my latest attempt to emulate Indian butter chicken:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5632

It's not the same as the restaurant/takeaway one that you get in Ireland and the UK, but it was without doubt the best curry that I have ever made.

I mostly went with this legend's recipe...

... along with a standard recipe for marinating the chicken and making the pilau rice which I found by googling.

I got the spices in Spiceland on South Richmond St. in Dublin.

It was lovely, but not really the same as in the restaurant. I'd love to hear from someone who worked in an Indian takeway and has THE recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

bonkey wrote: »
    How can you say this, and not share?????

;)

Made this again tonight, and measured as I went.

Use a tablespoon and a teaspoon, and use the same spoon for each item, realising that some things will heap on the spoon, and some will be more liquid and sit level, but that's still "1 tablespoon" for this recipe.

For the veg part, this is enough sauce to cover one third of a large head of white cabbage, shredded, mixed with three large grated carrots and one large finely sliced onion (slice in quarters before slicing thinly). You can also add finely sliced celery if you wish, but I keep forgetting.

The blender bowl attachment on a stick blender, if you have one, is just perfect for whizzing this lot up together, so I just throw all the dressing ingredients in the bowl of my braun stick blender.

• 4 tbsps mayonnaise (Hellmans is perfectly acceptable - if you use your own home-made, the flavour will be different and there may be ingredients you want to change)
    • 2 tbsps sugar (not heaped tablespoons - level as possible, and use raw sugar if you can)
    • 2 tbsps wine vinegar - I use aged red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar would also be fine
    • 2 tbsps flavourless oil like sunflower oil
    • 1 tbsp dijon mustard
    • 4 tbsps low-fat cream
    • 1 tbsp lemon juice
    • 1 level tsp celery salt
    • 1 level tsp garlic powder
    • A crunch of black pepper

Blend in the blender. Leave to sit for five minutes. Come back and blend again. (This is enough to ensure the sugar has dissolved and isn't sitting in there like some granulated unpleasantness waiting to happen.)

Pour over your bowl of prepared vegetables This makes a tangy, creamy coleslaw sauce that's more than enough to dress a large bowl of coleslaw.

This is rather excellent if you make your own loaf of soda bread (look to darina allen for inspiration on a recipe), cut thick slices, butter sparingly and then heap with closeslaw. Eat, making optional 'snarf snarf' noises.

Made that this evening, and there's a quiche in the oven.

Very long Sunday lunch with friends yesterday - almost 8 hours at the table!!:D

We had:
    Olives, gherkins and saucission with a some rosé for nibbles.

Followed by rare roast rib of beef on the bone with fried polenta (made with homemade chicken stock and fried in beef fat!) and roast butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, shallots, garlic with rosemary and braised broccoli leaves (from the garden) and a red wine/chicken stock/beef bits jus.
    Washed down with a very nice Kiwi Bordeaux blend.

No dessert, just a selection of mostly Irish cheese.

A long afternoon/evening of conversation, beer, Cognac, rum, beer and finally open rare beef sandwiches with horseradish and sliced gherkins on sourdough rye bread.

Got the beef in Supervalue Fermoy last week. Thought it looked good and at €12.50 for 1.5KG, very good value. It was!!:D

Have a nice pot of roast vegetable soup for today!!
    (I love having homemade stock)

I mostly went with this legend's recipe...

That guy is class!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tonight we had seared tuna, asparagus, boiled spuds sprinkled with wild garlic, and sauce bearnaise.

Other than the tuna being every-so-slightly overdone, I was pretty happy.

Tonight I ate at a friend's. It was a very simple meal - roasted, shredded chicken, with broccoli, carrots and brown rice. However its crowning glory was a very delicious warm relish that was prepared to go with the chicken. I don't know what was in it, but I saw onion, celery and Jack Daniels go into the pan at various stages. It was thick and delicious and transformed a dull dinner into a delight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i'm pretty new to this cooking malarkey to be honest but last night i got it soooo right! made what i'm calling 4-curry fruit'n'veg curry' haha. just made it up as i went along but daaayum it was delicious.

fried some onions and garlic in oil in a saucepan.
    added some red curry paste and green curry paste.
    + half can of coconut milk.
    + madras curry powder.
    + spoonful of jalfrezi sauce that happened to be sitting in fridge.
    +one large potato chopped small
    +small apple chopped small
    +broccoli
    +biggg squeeze of lemon juice
    + chopped fresh coriander
    +little chopped jalapenos
    +salt n pepper

-would have added cauliflower and cahsews if i'd had any.

just let it stew a while with the lid on.
    tasted amazing :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Tonight I ate at a friend's. It was a very simple meal - roasted, shredded chicken, with broccoli, carrots and brown rice. However its crowning glory was a very delicious warm relish that was prepared to go with the chicken. I don't know what was in it, but I saw onion, celery and Jack Daniels go into the pan at various stages. It was thick and delicious and transformed a dull dinner into a delight. :)

oh, can you get the recipe or is it just of those where you just lash in what is to hand

irishbird wrote: »
    oh, can you get the recipe or is it just of those where you just lash in what is to hand

I'll ask my friend for the recipe and get back to you.

If you love relishes though, I've made the following recipe at Christmas a few times to give as gifts, and it is absolutely fabulous:

Spicy Tomato Relish

Serves 30

2 large red onions
    2½ kg ripe tomatoes (I used canned)
    150g raisins, coarsely chopped
    6 cloves garlic, crushed
    10 small red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
    juice and peel of 1 lemon (peel cut into long strips)
    2 tablespoons grated ginger
    3 teaspoons ground allspice
    2 teaspoons ground cloves
    3 teaspoons salt
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    2 cups Bundaberg Sugar (White or Raw depending on preference)
    1 tablespoon cornflour
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (extra)

1. Place onions in a food processor and process until finely chopped; place in a large saucepan. Cut tomatoes into halves and process in batches until chopped, but not pureed (there should still be chunks of tomato visible). Add to onions, along with all other ingredients, except for cornflour and extra vinegar. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 1–1½ hours or until starting to thicken.

2. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until very thick. Stir often to stop mixture sticking to base of pan.

3. Combine cornflour with extra apple cider vinegar. Add to tomato mixture and simmer, stirring for 2 minutes .Turn off heat and let stand for 10 minutes, then spoon into clean warm jars and seal. Turn the jars upside down for 2 minutes, then invert and leave to cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

cumberland sausages and puy lentils braised with carrot, cougette, celery and onion.

I baked the sausages and didn't like them too much (very dry and tasteless).

Left the sausages and ate the puy lentils... yummmmmmyyyyy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Picked up crab claws at the Farmers Market on Sunday. This evening I spent a half an hour cracking them and picking through the shells for the meat. Also had a few fresh prawns. I butterflied these. Pan fried some chilli and ginger in butter, added the prawns, a few cherry tomatoes and a splash of shaosing wine. Then the crab, a few thinly sliced mange toute and a pile of noodles. Very satisfying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement