Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was salmon en croute, pan fried potatoes and samphire grass in butter and lemon. I also cooked some venison pies, beef pies and two dragon pies for freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ooo, a pastry night! Sounds good!

Am making another batch of quince jelly, so did a beef, broccoli, mushroom n oyster sauce stir fry with boiled rice. Quick and tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Chicken korma with saffron rice.
    The kids had fun smashing and grinding the spices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Minder wrote: »
    Dinner was salmon en croute, pan fried potatoes and samphire grass in butter and lemon. I also cooked some venison pies, beef pies and two dragon pies for freezing.

Minder, whats a dragon pie?

havin roast turkey today with all the trimmings cant wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was grilled, spatchcocked quail, slow roast tomatoes, cubed, fried potatoes, braised cabbage and a mulled wine and thyme jus (which I managed to spill down my front, resulting in a frantic striptease in the kitchen and a slightly scalded belly and many leaves cut off my aloe plant(very useful plant for burns):o:o:o)
    What jus was left was very tasty, though!!;)

I got the quails reduced in Dunne's a few weeks ago and froze them - they often have them in at weekends and often reduce them on a Monday!:D
    I love bargins!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We had prawn cocktail and roast chicken.

The prawn cocktail is from Ramsay's Cookalong 70s Night, but without the avocado (because I forgot to get one):

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5704

The main was roast chicken. I made the stuffing with breadcrumbs, celery and Danish blue cheese. Basting was with Frank's RedHot sauce... any excuse to use the Frank's! :D

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5702

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

tomato soup, steak with tomatoes & onions & chips & salad. & apple strudel for desert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Quiche and coleslaw for me.

Chocolate cake for afters.

Roast beef, carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy for mam and granny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Whole Deep fried turkey, (18lbs) with roasties, green beans and roasted root veg with herbs, Lemon Tart to finish.

I've always wondered how you deep fry a whole turkey.

• Advertisement

Minder, whats a dragon pie?

Take a regular beef pie filling and add a tablespoon of green peppercorns (the brined ones) and add a whole green chilli to each pie - prick the chilli or slash the sides then add the pastry lid.

Yesterday was roast lamb, pilaf rice, glazed chicken wings, pasta with meatballs, roast parsnips with seasme seeds. Desserts included a rhubarb and white chocolate trifle, a strawberry trifle for the kids, cream filled meringue and a sponge cake flavoured with orange blossom water.

You need a big pot, 40-50l and enough oil to cover the turkey.
    A big powerful gas burner and a turkey.
    Measure the amount of oil you need in the pot by putting the turkey in and covering with water.
    remove bird and mark level, this is your oil fill level.
    Heat oil to 325 deg F and slowly put bird in, this is dangerous if the turkey is wet, so make sure you do the measuring the day before and allow the turkey to dry overnight.
    Lower in to oil and cook for 3.5mins per pound.
    Nicest turkey you will ever eat in my experience.
    I also injected mine with marinade made from Apple juice Beer, Honey, and Cajun seasoning.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Measure the amount of oil you need in the pot by putting the turkey in and covering with water.
    Heat oil to 325 deg F and slowly put bird in, this is dangerous if the turkey is wet, so make sure you do the measuring the day before and allow the turkey to dry overnight.
    I also injected mine with marinade made from Apple juice Beer, Honey, and Cajun seasoning.

Do you have some sort of cradle to take it out? Homemade wire frame or other gadget?

That is very interesting... Though the thought of managing a 50 litre pot with something deep frying in it gives me the heebies.

Made quince jelly today so not much other cooking - boiled a whole chicken, that'll be soup and risotto for the next two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Last night I had:

Stir-fried honeyed chicken breast with stir-fry vegetables, mango and boiled rice. Really tasty!
    This sound great. Must try it. Thanks....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had rack of lamb with roasted new potatoes, carrots, green beans and warm red pepper chutney (as made by Derry Clarke on the Afternoon Show the other day, it was delicious), and gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minder wrote: »
    Do you have some sort of cradle to take it out? Homemade wire frame or other gadget?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E270Qx5OpxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNLYL24qUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9mq29BaLLk

Thanks for those. That's brilliant. :D

CJ, would you take some photos of this being done and post them the next time you do it? Sounds very interesting!

This is a short thread from 06 of the same procedure.
    I now cook at 325 not 350F sorry for the Fahrenheit but the long temp probe I have only reads in degs F.

I don't use peanut oil anymore, too expensive and hard to find.
    You can buy 20l drums of frying oil in cash and carry places for 20 euro, one of these is good for at least 3-4 frying sessions.
    If you don't have a big enough pot I have seen beer kegs sawn off and used but they are a little bit too wide for a good fry, better a tall pot than wide.

Be assured this kind of cooking isn't for the weak or non-safety aware cook. Large quantities of boiling oil are not to be trifled with, always cook outside on non flammable surfaces, not decking or wood.
    You will encounter some oil splashing and for this reason you should do it on a surface that won't be marred by oil.

That Alton Brown stuff is over the top no need to hang the bird from a ladder.

I have been doing this for a few years now and have never had any problems, I have got more experienced and know what happens when the turkey is too wet going in:rolleyes:

but being able to cook a bird that size in a short time with very little hassle is a great thing for entertaining a lot of people.
    The biggest I ever cooked was 23lbs and that was almost at the limit of the pot, I have a 27lber but might have to just do the crown and then the legs.
    I have also done pork roasts in the fryer and had great results.

• Advertisement

Me: Quiche and Coleslaw - leftovers from yesterday

Mam and Granny - Salad

This is a short thread from 06 of the same procedure.

That's cool. I would have never thought you could deep fry a whole turkey!

That's cool. I would have never thought you could deep fry a whole turkey!
    Actually it's not as crazy as it sounds, the turkey cooks from the inside as well as the outside, being hollow and all that so the maximum thickness is probably only 4"
    Still a lot but oil carries a lot of heat unlike air which will cook a turkey as well but slower.
    The outside is sealed and the meat gets pressure steamed from within.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was out for lunch and had scampi, salad and shoestring chips.

Last night I had chicken liver pate and smoke salmon pate.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Last night I grabbed a Chinese on my way home from the boozer :D

Tonight I'm making Faith's pesto chicken again, can't wait :p

xzanti wrote: »

Could either yourself or Faith post here/pm me the recipe please?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

had chicken supreme and mash yesterday, having a big duuuuuuurty bowl of chilli today cant wait! nom!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Could either yourself or Faith post here/pm me the recipe please?

Thank you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828512

xzanti wrote: »

Faith wrote: »
    Thank you very much.

The pics in that thread are mouth-watering!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

*pats belly* :D

That was delish, I added some herbs this time (thyme & parsley) and it gave it a little extra kick, went easy on the pesto though after last time :o;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement