Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This beaut courtesy of Rick Stein. A real simple tasty recipe that doesn't require a shedload of ingredients.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/grilledfilletofseaba_90802.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Picked up some beautiful fillets of hake on the way home - so I made a spicy fish stew with onion, garlic, white wine, coriander seed, saffron, bay, chilli and tomato. The stew cooks for a while without the fish to balance the flavours - boiled potatoes are added to the stew to pick up the flavours, then the fish is added to keep the fillets from falling apart. Lovely light dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

i am driven crazy by descriptions with the lack of pictures

I love to see photos along with the recipe, too... wouldn't go as far as to say it drives me crazy, though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

meh i was drunk :)
    I love to see photos along with the recipe, too... wouldn't go as far as to say it drives me crazy, though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

We have famly coming over today.

Roast Lamb, Brocolli, Carrots, Potatoes and Gravy.

Apple Tart for afters.

Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Baby minted spuds (lazy way pre prepared ones), coleslaw and I marinaded pork chops in garlic oil, sea salt&fresh pepper, paprika, mustard and apple juice..num num.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Made a Mushroom Risotto from a recipe provided by foodahilic, which was lovely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had escalopes of veal with salad for lunch, then I made coconut shrimp with plum dipping sauce for tea. Yummy!

Egg Fried Rice for me.

Mam and granny had a salad with left over lamb from yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I made fish goujons (hake) in beer batter with new-potato wedges and homemade tartar sauce:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

fishcakes with potatoes & vegetables

Malaysian beef stir fry

Had Faith's Pesto Chicken tonight.

I had it with mashed spuds rather than pasta.

It's delicious, will deffo be having it again soon!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Glad you enjoyed it :).

I had roast chicken, gravy, veg and mashed potatoes. Followed recently by chocolate chip cookies from the 'Best Ever Fat Chewy Cookies' recipe on the next page. Going to make xxdilemmaxx's risotto tomorrow, with smoked coley rather than haddock (they had none).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tonight was prawn and asparagus served with wild-garlic pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

Made minced beef frittata last night. first time making frittata - turned out pretty good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Slow cooker beef stew. Used beef shin and made a rich gravy from onions, flour, beef consomme, chopped rosemary, worcestershire sauce, English mustard and tomato puree. Added carrots, chunky mushrooms and potatoes. Left to cook for 7 hours on 'high' and came home to a house smelling of hot stew. Ate with slices of buttered fresh bread.

...sleep now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5919

With bacon, red chilli and onions
    meh i was drunk :)

Ah, the joys! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight, after being away from home for nearly four weeks and doing no cooking I offered to cook for my parents tonight. I'm making a beef and sweet potato casserole thing. It's a weight watchers recipe (my mum is on WW). My dad is the main cook in the house as he works at home and only likes to make things from packets so casserole from scratch might be a bit beyond him and my mum really wanted to try it

I actually haven't missed cooking for myself at all! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I had a very odd combination of thai green curry with spaghetti! And it was yum

• Advertisement

Tonight I'm having Peppered steak, mashed potatoes, mushrooms and pepper sauce.

Mam and granny are having 'salmon, spring onions and tomato' sandwiches.

lughanighetta* with saffron & porcini risotto.

* Its a Swiss specialty from the Ticino....a spicy sausage.

Rack of lamb with kabsa spice, grilled aubergine and broadbeans, quinoa cooked in chicken stock with tumeric and parsley, a drizzle of balsamic and a watercress sauce.

Sounds Gorgeous! any chance you have that typed out for posting? would love to try it.
    Minder wrote: »
    Rack of lamb with kabsa spice, grilled aubergine and broadbeans, quinoa cooked in chicken stock with tumeric and parsley, a drizzle of balsamic and a watercress sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have also done pork roasts in the fryer and had great results.

This deep frying of a whole roast/turkey is interesting as I hadn't really heard of that being done before, and I imagine it wouldn't be suitable for everyone. But does it not make the meat a bit greasy?

For lunch today, I had tomato and mozarella salad, mixed-leaf salad*, both drizzled with an olive oil / balsamic mix, accompanied by home-made chicken pate on toast.

* Its been a while since I was shopping in Ireland, but the markets here have unbelievable salad choices. This salad was made up of cress, two types of rocket, two types of beet leaf, portulak (purslane, I think...wiki says its also called pigweed), dandelion stalks, and a couple of things I can't even begin to spell in German, let alone translate to English....then with some sliced radish and shavings of carrot added...and a bit of shredded wild garlic (just cause its in season too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭AlmostFamous

For dinner last night I had chicken, beans and mash I also put some kimberly biscuits on my plate because there was some room. :pac: om nom nom

Minder wrote: »
    Sounds Gorgeous! any chance you have that typed out for posting? would love to try it.

Kabsa

The meal I cooked was inspired by this recipe from Madalene at www.Britishlarder.org. I use a chicken stock cube and half a tsp of tumeric in lots of water to cook the quinoa. Once soft, drain and stir in a knob of butter and some chopped parsley. Cut an aubergine into thick discs and cook on a ridge pan until soft.

For the watrecress sauce, take 1 onion, thinly sliced and fry in a little oil until soft, add 250ml chicken stock and 250ml cream and reduce by half. Add a bag of watercress, cook for a couple of minutes to wilt then blend for 4 or 5 minutes. This sauce needs to be gently reheated or it will lose it's vibrant colour.

Take a rack of lamb (french trim) and cut it into two pieces with three or four bones a piece. Score the fat side lightly into a diamond pattern. Season with salt. Pan fry the fat side to colour then flip it over and dust the fat side with the spice. Colour the other sides then finish in the oven at 180c for about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven a rest, covered in tin foil.

Sorry, I didn't weigh the lamb so adjust the oven time according to the weight and how you like it cooked. 12 minutes is very pink but with no blueness.

Plate up a cresent of the quinoa, a layer of aubergine in front of that, then carve the lamb and lay the meat in front of that. The broadbeans were the frozen variety - quickly heated through and scattered over the aubergine.

Spoon the watercress sauce around the plate then drizzle with the best balsamic you can find. If it isn't thick, you could try reducing it over a medium heat to thicken it.

The picture at British Larder is a good guide to plating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i made seasoned sweet potato wedges, roasted asparagus [neither of which i'd made before -was so good!] and served with hake [of the donegal catch variety so no effort there]. delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

had salt chilli king prawns and fried rice was loverly. tonight pizza! nom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement