Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Oh God a fry....

Yes I have tried barramundi - it's goood. But I've been deprived of the humble fry, because this lot can't do sausages and rashers to save their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Oh God a fry....

Yes I have tried barramundi - it's goood. But I've been deprived of the humble fry, because this lot can't do sausages and rashers to save their lives.
    Not pork ones, no.

But you gotta get to Woolies and get their peppered beef sausages. They are delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

God I'd love a fry for my dinner - haven't had one since I was at home with me mammy. She used to make sausages, rashers, eggs, pudding, beans, a pile of chips (or fried potatoes if we had leftover boiled spuds) and lashings of turnover bread and real butter, with a mug of tea. What a treat. I need to stop thinking about this, my arteries are clogging psychosomatically...

Last night I made roast chicken breasts on the bone, roast new potatoes, boiled carrots and brussells sprouts with gravy. The whole thing took less than an hour including prep, I was very surprised and pleased!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Had picked up 8 razor clams yesterday from the fishmongers, and decided to have them with pasta this evening. Got the garlic, onion, white wine and cream sauce nicely reduced, stuck on the pasta, cleaned and cut the clams and sat back for a few minutes with a nice kiwi sauvignon blanc to let them cook.

fish and suace looked good so took the pasta off to drain and noticed a load of ant bodies floating on top on the water, urggghgh

spent a minute deliberating, eat or not? decided the food was too good to waste so decided to go for it, didn't notice the ants while eating but it did kinda take the pleasure out of the meal. :(

stupid ants.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

growler wrote: »
    Had picked up 8 razor clams yesterday from the fishmongers, and decided to have them with pasta this evening. Got the garlic, onion, white wine and cream sauce nicely reduced, stuck on the pasta, cleaned and cut the clams and sat back for a few minutes with a nice kiwi sauvignon blanc to let them cook.

fish and suace looked good so took the pasta off to drain and noticed a load of ant bodies floating on top on the water, urggghgh

spent a minute deliberating, eat or not? decided the food was too good to waste so decided to go for it, didn't notice the ants while eating but it did kinda take the pleasure out of the meal. :(

stupid ants.

That is sooo gross, i normally like reading this thread to pick up tips and stuff but that's just ewwwww!!!

• Advertisement

ants can climb into the kettle looking for water, then get boiled when you turn it on for a cuppa, or a pot of pasta water. I think I'd have just made another helping of pasta tbh. I don't need the protein that badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

ants can climb into the kettle looking for water, then get boiled when you turn it on for a cuppa, or a pot of pasta water. I think I'd have just made another helping of pasta tbh. I don't need the protein that badly.

I did thik of it, but is was some of this wheat-free pasta the girlfriend had bought and it takes 8+ minutes to cook , if I left the clams sitting for that long they'd not be as nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Friday night : Stir fried noodles with confit of duck, roast corn and pickled plums

Saturday night : Merguez with homous and salad in pitta bread.

Sunday night : BBQ - Steak, butterflied prawns, Polish sausage, burgers - all at a fireworks party.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Was at my parent's house last night for dinner and we had the remaining half of the Christmas ham from last year. It was fantastic! I had forgotten how wonderful good ham tastes. Served with green beans, mashed parnips, mashed spuds and a weird onion/garlic white sauce.

Saturday night I roasted a piece of M&S's 21 days matured beef rare/medium rare. Lovely bloody meat with lots and lots of flavour. Served with the usual sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Last night I had (farmed) salmon fillet, mashed potatoes with onion, butter, salt and pepper and cabbage. :)

• Advertisement

Saturday night was a couple of pizzas from the local take away. Sunday was leftover pizza and various grazing moments. Tonight was Irish stew with herbs from the garden. Tomorrow is Melbourne Cup day so we've people over and there'll be barbecue bits and pieces - ribs, burgers, salads and I think some baked potato sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Yesterday I spent most of the day cooking a beef and guinness pie but it was worth the effort because it was lovely, next time I'll make double the filling and freeze it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Seeing as I only started cooking properly in the past month or so, its an achievement I made a proper dinner for myself. I made a pasta bake with tomatoes and cheese sauce with chicken and sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lets see how you feel in the morning before declaring *success* ;)

Mike.

Tonights feast was bean casserole as printed here, a word to the wise if you are having it with boiled/mashed spuds start the potatos 10 mins before you start the casserole. I did'nt so it got a bit boiled-off ie dryish.

I've got 50% of it left and I'll add chicken and the unused plum tomato and have it with nice quick noodles.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobytobe

Toad in the hole with onion gravy and mashed potato with lots of milk and REAL butter. Heart attack on a plate, mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast chicken, roast carrots & parsnips, baked potato with cheese, gravy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Open Wheaten Bread Sambo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i dont eat dinner.. i hate it , i have two breakfasts instead!

Last night was tuna and pasta.

Pasta with a drop of olive oil placed in a saucepan and cooked until ready
    In a frying pan:
    Olive oil
    2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
    red, yellow and green bell peppers (diced)
    button mushrooms (sliced)
    One tin of chopped tomatoes
    Dried mixed herbs
    8 fresh basil leaves (torn and added at last minute)
    One tin of tuna steak (drained and added at last minute)

Very tasty :)

Mike 65...I love that site! Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Sounds good r3nu4l, I think I'll try that.

With rice though, I don't like Pasta.

Will it freeze ok?

Would it be ok with Chicken do you think?

It's a quick and dirty dinner :) It's even quicker if made with cous cous instead of pasta :)

It should be fine with chicken although in that case, cook the chicken first before adding the veg, Slice it thinly to cook it faster.

I should have said that I also normally add red onion to that dinner but didn't have any onions last night. :( Also the fresh basil is depending on the plant surviving on my kitchen window sill:D

As for freezing it...not sure what the deal is for freezing chicken. I don't generally but that's because I migh usually have the same dinner two nights in a row. I'd say Hill Bill or MAJD would know!

r3nu4l wrote: »
    As for freezing it...not sure what the deal is for freezing chicken. I don't generally but that's because I migh usually have the same dinner two nights in a row. I'd say Hill Bill or MAJD would know!

I freeze cooked chicken all the time, to avoid eating the same dinner two nights in a row!

I'm still ticking along nicely :)

There was a thread about it recently enough too.

I have two tins of tomatoes in my press that I've been wondering what to do with for ages, your recipe looks like the answer.

edit, yep here's that thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055169800

There's absolutely no problem freezing cooked chicken :)

Don't freeze cooked chicken if it was frozen to start with, if it was fresh you can but thaw it full and reheat it thoroughly.

Mike.

DesF wrote: »
    ...to avoid eating the same dinner two nights in a row!
    Funny I've never minded that :)
    DesF wrote:
    I have two tins of tomatoes in my press that I've been wondering what to do with for ages, your recipe looks like the answer.
    Just be aware that I usually drain a bit (not all) of the liquid from the can before adding the chopped tomatoes as otherwise the plates can end up swimming in liquid if you don't :) It's a lot cheaper than buying a bolognese sauce and at least you know eaxactly what's gone into it!

mike65 wrote: »
    Don't freeze cooked chicken if it was frozen to start with, if it was fresh you can but thaw it full and reheat it thoroughly.

Mike.

There's no problem freezing cooked chicken that was frozen while raw Mike. Once, as you say, it has all been frozen/cooked/frozen/thawed properly.

I'll bow to the fact you are still here!

Mike.

This is just for reference Mike. I don't generally revert to the interweb but, to go some way to proving the point...
    If the chicken comes with wrap already I usually cover it in tin foil as well to prevent freezer burn. Freezer burn will show light brown spots on the skin of the chicken. Although it won't hurt you it's best to add something that will give it a kick such as a glaze before taking it out of the oven.

Chickens and other meats can be left in the freezer for up to 1 year. If it's in there 2 years it's still OK to eat, but it may be tasteless.

Also, you can defrost chicken, cook it well and if you have any left over you can re-freeze it.

Source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A bowl of Mrs Billy's homemade chicken curry & a couple of mini-naans for me last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement