Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Im having homemade Mousaka tonight love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Having the Delux Boneless Box in KFC to myself tonight. Oh yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tonight was potato, leek and wild garlic gratin, roast beef, and boiled veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

Panang Curry made with homemade paste & Brown Rice. My first try with this curry was nice but doesn't compare with my Thai Green Curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Beef rendang. Got fleeced by a butcher at a market (a 'porterhouse' in australia, as opposed to being a double thickness t-bone steak, is just a thick sirloin. Trays of 'porterhouse' were advertised on special with a set price per tray. I thought 'those can go in the freezer' I requested one but was rummaging in my handbag as he packed the plastic bag. Got home, got a bagful of about nine pieces of scraggly arsed bottom sirloin. Wanker. Upshot: beef rendang. (Because when life gives you lemons, make pickled lemons and seal them in kilner jars and give them to friends as presents.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Im my favourite Bern restaurant -
    Smoked salmon and horseradish mousse on toast to start (shared between three of us).
    Then I had braised Gitzi (young goat) with roast spuds and veg.
    Pal 1 had a massive veal steak with white asparagus and herb butter.
    Pal 2 went for a quite spicy and alcoholic steak tartar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight is going to be Frank's chicken wings, roast butternut squash and salad.

Tomorrow will be a pigfest! (we got us some free range (almost organic) pork from a friend)

Roscarberry white pudding topped with bacon, caramelised onions with fennel and grated chocolate to start
    followed by Hugh Watteleybottom's Aromatic Pork Shoulder Donnie Brasco with mustard mash and greens from the garden.
    Rhubarb will feature in the desert somewhere.
    Cheese!
    Wine
    Sherry
    Beer!

Edit:
    Ginger cordial, lemon & lime juice and rum with mint leaves as an aperitif.
    The white pudding starter will be served with rocket, mustard and chive salad from the garden.
    And I'm serving Japanese rice rather than mash.
    Greens will be fried tenderstem broccoli and broccoli leaves.
    Mrs beer is making rhubarb icecream/frozen yoghurt.

I love Sunday lunch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

massaman curry (made with homemade paste) with brown rice. jum

can i ask how you make your homemade curry paste?

today's dinner was noodles with asparagus, mushrooms and red pepper in a bought sachet of sauce -thai basil and lemongrass. tasty enough, but the red peppers did NOT belong in it.

can i ask how you make your homemade curry paste?

yeah sure, here it is. (bear in mind that the amounts here will do one portion. when i make this i make enough for a bunch of curries and make it into portions for keeping in the freezer. one portion of paste is about one heaped tbsp)

Ingredients
    · 4 dried large red chillies, soaked and chopped
    · 2 roasted cardamom pods, shell removed
    · ¼ tsp cinnamon, roasted.
    · 1 tsp roasted galangal.
    · 1 tbsp roasted lemongrass.
    · ½ tsp ground coriander, roasted.
    · 1 tsp coriander seeds, roasted.
    · 1 1/2 tbsp roasted shallot.
    · 1 tbsp roasted garlic.
    · 1/2 tbsp fresh turmeric.

Method
    Pound ingredients in a mortar until you get a smooth paste. It is best to add the ingredients one-at-a-time rather than all at once, starting with the driest ingredient and working towards the wettest.

• Advertisement

Tonight is going to be Frank's chicken wings, roast butternut squash and salad.

Tomorrow will be a pigfest! (we got us some free range (almost organic) pork from a friend)

Roscarberry white pudding topped with bacon, caramelised onions with fennel and grated chocolate to start
    followed by Hugh Watteleybottom's Aromatic Pork Shoulder Donnie Brasco with mustard mash and greens from the garden.
    Rhubarb will feature in the desert somewhere.
    Cheese!
    Wine
    Sherry
    Beer!

I love Sunday lunch!!

Add port to that list and we're all coming for dinner.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Im my favourite Bern restaurant

Which is your fave? (And we must still meet up for beer sometime)

Anyway...

last night we had sticky spare ribs, baked potatoes and skewers of turkey satay, all from the grill. Accompanied by peanut sauce (for the satay), wild garlic sauce (for the potato), and a big green salad.

Our guests brought a homemade walnut parfait for dessert.

· 1 1/2 tbsp roasted shallot.
    · 1 tbsp roasted garlic.

Chop, then roast.....or roast then chop?

Roast with or without oil?

Add port to that list and we're all coming for dinner.

I've gotten to like thick, sherry with cheese but there is port there too (and starboard - I kid you not) or sloe gin, if you like!

Ah sloe gin!! I am rather partial to that.

Today's dinner was reheats. Good reheats, but still reheats.

bonkey wrote: »
    Chop, then roast.....or roast then chop?

Roast with or without oil?

i chopped after roasting. i figured that otherwise it would all get burnt in the roasting process (if it had already been chopped into small pieces). i used a tiny bit of veg oil.

bonkey wrote: »
    Which is your fave? (And we must still meet up for beer sometime)
    Della Casa - between Bundesplatz and the Bahnhof. Klotzli Kellar in the Altstadt comes a close second. That beer sounds like a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BrianIsNinja

Mmmmmm ..... :pac: .... Tenders and Vanilla shake ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20OiFWyOPvM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Roast Beef for mam and granny tonight.

I'll be having a Lamb burger.

We'll be having potatoes, carrots, broccoli and gravy with the lamb/beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

A real Mammy dinner tonight. Roast rib of beef (on the bone), roast potatoes, mash, carrots, broccoli and marrowfat peas. Haven't had them for years. Rhubarb crumble for desert.

• Advertisement

Word of warning:

I did this dish as per recipe (well, admittedly, my shoulder was boned and tied and was maybe a little smaller than Hugh's) and going against my instinct, did not cover it - as per recipe - and ended up with a very dried out piece of black pork.

If anyone fancies a go, I'd recommend covering it with foil for all but the hot start and end cooking bits and reducing the time to about 12 hours.
    Also make sure that your pork has lots of fat.

FAIL:mad:

Still, a good day and starter was fab as was desert, cheese, wine, sherry, port, beer .....

herb crusted steak with sweet potato oven chips and balsamic salad.

qpq9hv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Roast Beef tonight with carrots, broccoli, peas, potatoes and gravy. We have family coming over again.

I'll be having Steak, carrots, muchrooms and potatoes with Pepper sauce. Can't stand Roast beef.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

herb crusted steak with sweet potato oven chips and balsamic salad.

qpq9hv.jpg

Wow :o

I had a cheeseburger meal in Supermacs.. I'll say no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

damn, that steak looks good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I had squid and prawn with garlic and olive oil, rice and salad.

damn, that steak looks good!

Ingredients

· 1 inch thick steak
    · 1 tbsp sea salt, finely ground
    · 4 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
    · 4 tbsp very finely chopped fresh rosemary (and/or thyme)
    · Olive oil

Method

1. Take the steak from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature. Steaks other than fillet steak must be well tenderised should be trimmed of most of the fat.

2. Rub olive oil on the steak to coat. Rub in the pepper, being very generous. Do the same for the fresh rosemary.

3. Leave at room temperature for at least 45 – 60 mins.

4. Just before cooking sprinkle on the salt on both sides and pat the steak.

5. Heat a cast iron pan to a very high heat until it smokes. (if you dont have a cast iron pan and you are using a normal pan you may have to cook steaks one at a time and for a longer period of time). Pour in a tsp olive oil and then immediately place the steak in the pan, pushing down on it with your hands or the back of a spoon to seal it.

6. Cooking times as follows (for a 1 inch steak on a cast iron pan at high temp):

• 20 seconds – 60 seconds per side: blue / rare
    • 60 seconds90 seconds per side: medium rare
    • 1 ½ mins - 2 ½ mins per side: medium
    • 2 ½ mins – 3 ½ per side: well done

7. Don’t pierce the steak with a fork when turning, use a spoon or tongs or your hands. Don’t forget to again sear the other side immediately after turning.

8. Let the steak rest for a few minutes before serving.

Tonight I had gruel for dinner. I shít you not.

Am in a Swiss hospital. They starve me for the past 3 days (tummy bug), tell me this morning that I'm well enough to eat again and then give me gruel!

Not happy.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Tonight I had gruel for dinner. I shít you not.

Am in a Swiss hospital. They starve me for the past 3 days (tummy bug), tell me this morning that I'm well enough to eat again and then give me gruel!

Not happy.

i think i have a recipe for that too! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Currently making butternut squash soup. :) First attempt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement