Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Thai Massaman beef curry made with shin of beef that I slow cooked for 5 hours so it melted in the mouth. Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Roast Chicken, Carrots, Stuffing, Potatoes with Gravy for us tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

homemade chicken curry and rice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cookathon tonight. Made sweet and sour pork, while roasting a duckling; also made a chili which will sit in the slow cooker overnight. The pork is lunch tomorrow, the duckling will be tomorrow night in pancakes with hoisin and vegetables; some of the chili will go in the freezer and the rest will make up lunches and dinners for the remainder of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

made tomato sauce based on a recipe by Paolo Tullio i managed to scribble down while he was talking on the Moncrieff show on newstalk. served with penne pasta and roasted chicken fillet wrapped in parma ham.

• Advertisement

Lasagne and Chips for me. So Delicious.

31052010017.th.jpg

Click the thumbnail to see a bigger pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

A nice healthy salad & strawberries afterwards

homemade chicken chow mein!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I wanted a light meal and found a brilliant recipe in a cookbook called Araxi. Grilled asparagus with curried salt, poached duck egg in panko breadcrumbs, vinaigrette.

It was a bit tricky - poached the duck eggs in acidulated water, then chilled in ice water to stop it cooking. Then flour, beaten egg and panko breadcrumbs and into the hot oil for a couple of minutes.

I blanched the asparagus in boiling water, chilled, oiled and sprinkled with a mild curry powder and some salt. Then onto a hot ridge pan for colour. Crispy crumb, soft, runny egg, asparagus with a bite and the tang of the vinaigrette. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

last night i made chilli ramen.

saucepan of chicken stock [i used cube] on medium heat.
    added noodles, beansprouts, think slices of zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, cumin, big squirt of hot chili sauce, salt and pepper, squeeze of lemon, few drops of fish sauce, fresh coriander and fresh red chilli. salt/pepper.

was really good, though i do still feel there is just the smallest something missing.

tonight i made my first homemade chilli. made it vegetarian style, because i just can't be bothered with meat much lately.
    heated chilli oil in big pan, added onions and garlic. broccoli, carrots, courgette, green peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, jalapenos and green chilli [all of the veg chopped] kidney beans and can of lentils.
    added pint and a half of vegetable stock, lime juice, cumin, oregano, paprika, basil, ground coriander, salt and pepper.
    let simmer for about an hour i think. was delicioussss, and will be super tasty for lunch the next couple days!

• Advertisement

Braised lamb shanks in a white wine and tomato sauce with some fresh basil. I cooked mafaldine pasta and dressed it with some of the sauce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Gotta love the weather...

Beer Can Chicken

DSC_2016.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

What did you coat the chicken with?

Last night we had wild trout cooked on a cherry plank in the bbq. Two fillets. One with salt/pepper/olive oil/rosemary/garlic mix. One with dijon and brown sugar.

p0206101941.jpg

First time to try planking and the cherry added an amazing sweet smoky flavor and kept the fish nice and moist. Was really nice and looking forward now to oak smoked ribeye steaks tonight :D

GStormcrow wrote: »
    What did you coat the chicken with?

A spice rub, inside and out. Cumin & mustard & coriander (seeds ground), paprika, dry chilli powder, garlic powder mixed with a tablespoon of veg oil.

Had big bowl of chilli and rice last night. tonight have loverly salmon fillets with cream cheese, spuds and other veg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Last night sausage and mash with onion gravy. Tonight might be crispy potatoes with rib eye steak and garlic butter, haven't decided just yet.

Southern Fried Chicken and Mashed Potatoes.

homemade malaysian / chinese chicken stir fry and brown rice with some of my homegrown lettuce leaves.

Lovely cooking day.

Made spaghetti bolognaise, but went with a very different recipe. Decided to use an Australian Masterchef recipe as inspiration, so used:

A mirepoix (finely diced onion, carrot and celery, sweated until soft) in some olive oil, then beef mince, then chopped garlic; tomato puree, a tin of tomatoes, good beef stock, a glass of red wine, some (and here's the odd bits) ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, black and white pepper, salt, dried oregano, bay leaves.

Near the end I tasted and added a little salt, and a rounded teaspoon of black treacle. I've tried all kinds of sweetness in tomato sauces, and black treacle is my latest favourite!

Also got a new stand mixer, so there's a banana and walnut loaf just out of the oven :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

calzone and potato wedges :)

• Advertisement

falafel on spelt bread.

2hf8cc8.jpg

...and a rounded teaspoon of black treacle. I've tried all kinds of sweetness in tomato sauces, and black treacle is my latest favourite!...

black treacle? sound delish. never heard of it or is it known under other names?

570403.gif

You'll find it on the shelf beside or near the golden syrup. It has the same viscosity as golden syrup, but it's jet black. Again it's produced in the sugar-making process, but it has a strong, curious flavour, hugely sweet but almost toffee, almost coffee, kinda licorice, but also a bit bitter. See? Curious.

Lasagne and Chips.

Made a really soupy thai green curry with extra sauce. Absolutely hit that craving on the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Had a grilled goats cheese started (with pine nuts, rocket and coulis) to start

Couple of hours later Roast rib of beef with wine reduction served with roast spuds (could have been better) and carrott/parsnip mash.

I did up a big pot of spaghetti bolognese after all the chat here. I'll get another couple of meals out of it and they'll all be good.

Had some leftovers from the weekend - mushroom soup; thinly sliced lamb in khobz (flatbreads) with green leaves, houmous and hot sauce. I also made a salad of fried haloumi, tomato, grilled asparagus, pea shoots and lightly boiled duck egg. Dressed with a french vinaigrette.

I used the two legs from the chicken, breasts of which went into last night's green curry. so I cut each leg into two pieces; drumstick and thigh. Then I marinated/coated in a mix of flour and spices and let sit, coming to room temperature. Then I deep fried them and served with corn fritters (made with buttermilk, eggs and a drained can of corn). Extremely tasty.

• Advertisement

Then I deep fried them and served with corn fritters (made with buttermilk, eggs and a drained can of corn). Extremely tasty.

Recipe please.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement