Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Had turkey chimichangas and butternut squash wedges. No matter what i do with turkey mince or what i put on it, it still tastes nasty! im beginning to think i just dont like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Had turkey chimichangas and butternut squash wedges. No matter what i do with turkey mince or what i put on it, it still tastes nasty! im beginning to think i just dont like it!

Try this recipe for turkey meatballs - It's from The Ottolenghi Cookbook. I haven't made the red pepper dipping sauce - any dipping sauce will do, sweet chilli or BBQ sauce is great.

Dinner tonight is jerk pork chops and jollof rice.

Minder wrote: »
    Try this recipe for turkey meatballs - It's from The Ottolenghi Cookbook. I haven't made the red pepper dipping sauce - any dipping sauce will do, sweet chilli or BBQ sauce is great.

Will defo give this a go!! thanks a mill minder! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Lasagne and chips for me again tonight. Was delish!

Spag bol sauce and boiled potatoes for mam and granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I made a Chicken Paella last night. It was a WW recipe and was really good. I thought maybe being careful with calories and fat might take some of the taste away but it worked well.

Made enough for tonight too! :)

I've been really pleased with the WW recipes so far, most of them are just lower fat version of meals I enjoy and the difference is not that noticeable.

Still, I really really really miss real butter! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Recipe please.:)

You need buttermilk, eggs, salt and pepper, baking powder, flour and a drained tin of sweetcorn. The object is to make a very thick batter.

Using my swanky new stand mixer (stop making that gesture with your hand :D) I put around one cup of flour, one large or two small eggs, half a cup of buttermilk, a level tablespoon of baking powder, and a good grind of pepper and a good pinch of salt, into the bowl and whisked it up. You want a very thick batter - one that drops off the spoon and sits in a heap instead of spreading out.

Once the batter is done, let it rest until you're ready to cook the fritters, then fold through a can of drained sweetcorn. As the batter sits between batches, the corn will sink a bit so ensure you give it a stir before spooning out the next lot of fritters.

You can use a good non-stick pan with no oil or you can use a little oil, but using a lot of oil (e.g. a centimeter in the pan) to fry the fritters isn't great IMO because they just soak it up like grease sponges.

Drop spoons of batter into the hot pan, and cook a bit like pancakes. If you rest a lid or cover on the pan while cooking, it will help the fritters 'rise' as the baking powder reacts with the buttermilk. When golden brown underneath, flip and cook on the other side. This is where the thickness of the batter is important - too thin, and when you try to flip the fritter batter scatters everywhere and you end up with a real mess.

These are excellent served with fried chicken and a sweet chili sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

made white bread tonight. came out looking great and tasted awesome... there's none left now :(

2rz86dy.jpg

2d85atd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Peppered Steak, Broccoli and boiled potatoes for us last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had a dateen over for dindins, she told me she likes indian food so I did Chicken makhani, nan bread, rice, a really simple tomato salad and some nice beer. Was a lovely night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

First, fair dues Hill Billy for modding, hope this does not hinder your excellent posts!

Herself was out so I was home alone with the kids.
    Got them to sleep while a nice peice of Striploin marinated in mixed pepper, herbs, balsamic vin and extra virg oil.

Fried and served up with some cajun spuds and loverly old style fried onions!

A nice Malbec helped it down while France struggled in SA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks kenco! I certainly hope not.

Last night I green tea ramen noodles with prawns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Roast beef with all the trimmings yesterday. Leaning towards a takeaway today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

World Cup food........

P1010282.jpg

teriyaki chicken with noodles

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

last night was chili ramen with loadsa veg.

tonight i experimented and made a kind of veggie enchiladad with butter beans, kidney beans,zuchinni, mushrooms ,red peppers and sweet potatoes. served with homemade salsa and lemony/garlic mayo.

definitely be making that again, was gorgeous. already looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Chicken Makhani, curried okra and rice. I fired up the BBQ and grilled the marinated chicken to get a smokey flavour before adding it to the sauce. Well worth the effort.

ive got a massive bunch of basil that my mum bought at the market yesterday that i wanna use up today. here's my ideas:

-chicken basil stir fry for dinner
    -basil hummus (some of which ill freeze)
    -a big pot of tomato sauce (that ill make into portions and freeze)

any other ideas for me? :)

p.s. i know this isn't strictly a 'here's what i had for dinner lastnight' post but i hope its with the spirit of things seeing as a few nice recipes might come out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

ive got a massive bunch of basil that my mum bought at the market yesterday that i wanna use up today. here's my ideas:

-chicken basil stir fry for dinner
    -basil hummus (some of which ill freeze)
    -a big pot of tomato sauce (that ill make into portions and freeze)

any other ideas for me? :)

p.s. i know this isn't strictly a 'here's what i had for dinner lastnight' post but i hope its with the spirit of things seeing as a few nice recipes might come out of it.
    My son makes delicious mashed potatoes with basil and sun dried tomatoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Last night was chicken stuffed with roasted red pepper and mozarella, wrapped in Serrano ham with a roasted pepper salad and roasted baby new potatoes. Tonight is going to be homemade meat sung made with minced pork chops and its going to be spicy cos I have a hangover and need a kick heat wise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last night was chicken stuffed with roasted red pepper and mozarella, wrapped in Serrano ham with a roasted pepper salad and roasted baby new potatoes.

That sounds fantastic!

• Advertisement

Chicken Makhani, curried okra and rice. I fired up the BBQ and grilled the marinated chicken to get a smokey flavour before adding it to the sauce. Well worth the effort.

What recipe did you use for the makhani?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Did Irish Stew the other night (I'd been craving it for a few days and haven't made it in ages).

I reckon it was the best Irish Stew I've made.

What was different about it was that I used beer and water to make it up as opposed to my usual water. The beer I used was a light, pale ale (Shepherd Neame 4-4-2 Hop Beer from Lidl - not terribly interesting to drink but makes a fantastic Irish Stew!).
    Twas shoulder of mutton I used.
    It had onions, carrots, celery, leek and potato and some presoaked pearl barley in it and was flavoured with fresh thyme and winter savory, salt and pepper and chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to serve.

I highly recommend using a light beer for this dish!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Seaneh wrote: »

I use the makhani recipe from www.mamtaskitchen.com. The recipes there are brilliant and I've been told that my makhani tastes way nicer than one bought in Indian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night did, on the gas bbq, lamb leg kebabs which I marinated in lemon zest and juice, fresh marjoram, garlic and olive oil.
    With that we had some wilted spinach from the garden, red cargo rice with olives, garlic, lemon and flat leaf parsley chopped through it and some greek style yoghurt (Lidl) with chopped fresh mint and lemon juice in.
    Yummm
    All washed down with a Fleurie that was a few years past its best.

Had chilli and rice last night. tonight, meh, who knows!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made a gorgeous lasagna this evening, which we had with garlic bread and salad. Goulash is also bubbling away on the stove, which I'll freeze and defrost when I don't have time to cook things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Valaiser-style pork chop (topped with grilled tomato and cheese) with rösti & veg - asparagus, french beans, carrots & cauliflower. Accompanied by a Valais pinot noir. (Swiss wine ftw!)

Seaneh wrote: »

From Ramsay's book - Gordon's Great Escape

Couldn't decide what to make so dinner tonight was a grilled rack of lamb; plate of artichokes with green olives; salad of quinoa with sourdough bread, tomato, cucumber and red onion with herbs and a vinaigrette; grilled black pudding; tomato & avocado bruschetta with basil; plate of walnuts, stilton and honey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I had laksa from the local noodle shop. Which means that some night this week I'll be having nicer laksa that I've made myself. :/

• Advertisement

From Ramsay's book - Gordon's Great Escape

Couldn't decide what to make so dinner tonight was a grilled rack of lamb; plate of artichokes with green olives; salad of quinoa with sourdough bread, tomato, cucumber and red onion with herbs and a vinaigrette; grilled black pudding; tomato & avocado bruschetta with basil; plate of walnuts, stilton and honey.

That recipe looks rather nice but there's no Kasoori Methi in it?

I've been using this one for a while and It's rather nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement