Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minder wrote: »
    From Ramsay's book - Gordon's Great Escape

Couldn't decide what to make so dinner tonight was a grilled rack of lamb; plate of artichokes with green olives; salad of quinoa with sourdough bread, tomato, cucumber and red onion with herbs and a vinaigrette; grilled black pudding; tomato & avocado bruschetta with basil; plate of walnuts, stilton and honey.

You hound!:D
    You forgot the peeled grapes and real turkish delight and virgin's milk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Saturday:

Me: Lamb Burger then Salmon Sandwich

Mam and Granny: Salmon Sandwich

Sunday:

Roast Lamb, Boiled Potatoes, Carrots, Broccoli and Gravy.

Monday (today):

Me: Pizza

Mam and Granny: Left over Lamb with Carrots, Boiled Potatoes and Gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Seaneh wrote: »
    That recipe looks rather nice but there's no Kasoori Methi in it?

I've been using this one for a while and It's rather nice.

I'll give that one a go. I have the dried methi in the cupboard, just needs a grind in the pestle & mortar to make a powder out of it. Interesting that he adds honey - my makhani was a touch bitter - just an underlying bitter note that maybe came from the char on the chicken.

Tonight is Guinea Fowl in Peanut soup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'll give that one a go. I have the dried methi in the cupboard, just needs a grind in the pestle & mortar to make a powder out of it. Interesting that he adds honey - my makhani was a touch bitter - just an underlying bitter note that maybe came from the char on the chicken.

You dont really need to grind, i just rub it in the palm of my hands and it breaks up fairly handy.

It's such a distinct flavour, I loves it.

I'll take that recipe if ya don't mind sharing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'll take that recipe if ya don't mind sharing?

The Guinea fowl in peanut sauce was inspired by a re-run of Valentine Warner's What to Eat Now! programme. He took a West Africa restaurant owner to see some Guinea Fowl raised in the UK. She made this peanut soup - looked lovely. Unfortunately the recipe isn't in his book, so I picked a copy off the internet and muddled it. A Ghanaian friend at work said she used to have it with dried fish. I chucked three anchovies into the paste for a fishy flavour.

I portioned two guinea fowl - using the back bones for the best ever chicken stock. Fried the bird in some olive oil - added two large sliced onions. Then scorched four tomatoes in a dry pan to blacken the skins a little.

I used unsalted peanuts - dry roasted 100g in the oven and rub the skins off.
    Blitz the softened onions, tomatoes, a whole scotch bonnet chilli (deseeded) and the peanuts until smooth. I used some of the chicken stock to let it out a little. Then cook the meat in the sauce using more chicken stock to make it more soupy. Cooks in about thirty minutes.

That's it - we had it with rice with okra and blackeyed beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Laksa - chicken, veg, tofu and shrimps with beansprouts and rice noodles. Used a store-bought paste, not too impressed, but overall it was pretty good.

Followed with home made lemon meringue pie, YUM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tonight, though the meat sauce was cooked last night, is going to be an experimental lasagne.

A half-pound of lamb mince browned off, a pound of cubed sirloin steak seared off, about a third of a pound of cubed back bacon browned off, onion+carrot+celery sweated down, four large cloves of smashed and minced garlic added to the sweat at the end, a tablespoon or three of tomato paste, a few cups of tomato passata and one of water, a tin of cooked butter beans, some oregano, thyme, basil, fresh-ground black pepper and a bouquet garni thrown in for fits and giggles, all cooked for 90 minutes in the pressure cooker as the meat sauce.

Layered up with regular lasagne sheets and grated cheese (four layers) then topped with a homemade white roux sauce with nutmeg and a little cheese melted into it, and then a last handful of cheese scattered on the top and a little nutmeg as well.

Fingers crossed (though the meat sauce seemed good last night)...

Lasagne and chips for me.

Chicken burger and Chips for mam.

Sparks wrote: »
    experimental lasagne
    And that was a success, but good grief was it a rich dish. A slice 2"X4"X3" in size and I was done with eating and I'm not a small lad...
    I reckon I have eight more servings in that lasagne dish now. All for about €17. Not bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Did the Jamie Oliver herb and lemon chicken http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/jamie-oliver-grilled-lemon-herb-chicken-mash/

Twas only alright as I over did the chicken just enough to make it dry but not enough to ruin it.

Served it with lovely saute mushrooms though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Vietnamese claypot pork, which is a long-term favourite; put it together with the aubergine in tomato from week 22's cooking club (Minder's vietnamese spread) and plain boiled rice.

Lamb burgers for us tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Had homemade wedges, carrots and homemade kfc-ish chicken pieces.

I made meat balls in a spicey tomato sauce and because I was feeling really hungry had them with a big scoop of mashed spuds instead of pasta. had some steamed sugarsnap peas too. nice simple (extremely filling) food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Last night I had an Indian prawn curry with flatbread. It was very hot but really delicious if I say so myself.

Tonight I'm having sautéed potatoes, fried onions, griddled asparagus, garlicky mushrooms with striploin steak. Nummy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Can I ask how you're making the sautéed potatoes? I'm actually in the middle of googling for a nice recipe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Faith wrote: »
    Can I ask how you're making the sautéed potatoes? I'm actually in the middle of googling for a nice recipe!

I do them in the oven it's the easiest way. I coat them in olive oil or these days I'm using low-fat spray oil as I'm dieting then load on sea salt and black pepper. I turn them every ten minutes and depending on how full the pan is they can take between 30 and 45 minutes to cook. It's not traditional but I've never had any complaints yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We had chicken barbecued on skewers tonight. The marinade used was the juice of an orange, the juice of 2 limes and the zest of 1, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, crushed garlic and a little bit of chili that I had left over. It was gorgeous, really tangy. Had it in pitta bread with rocket and with barbecued garlicky potatoes on the side. Love the barbecue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Friday: Roast chicken & roast veg (spuds, parsnips, sweet potatoes, butternut squash & a head of garlic).

Saturday: BBQ - Burgers & sausages for Mrs Billy & the kids, Lamb chops for yours truly. Served with a cracking egg salad Mrs Billy made.

Sunday: Leftovers from Friday went into a Chicken & Veg pie.

• Advertisement

[IMG][/img]P1020323_thumb.jpg

Had some huge free range pork chops in the freezer so fired up the gas BBQ the other night and had them with grilled polenta, aubergine and tomatoes and sage leaves.
    And a bottle of very cheap 2003 Priorat on offer from Tesco.

sesame chicken and rice for tonight! nom

Had a lovely summery lunch today!

Mozzarella, basil and tomato salad, drizzled with balsamic and olive oil with rocket and lettuce and some good bread, all washed down with some chilled white wine.
    [IMG][/img]010_thumb_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

beef stirfry and brown rice, with enough left over for lunch in work tomorrow :)

Homemade kfc-ish chicken dippers, veg and cheesy potato gratin! nom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

chicken goujons & savoury rice

Bacon and Mushroom Pizza for us tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I just wanted a dose of comfort food tonight so had bubble and squeek (using fresh kale and potatos from my garden) cooked with loads of butter so simple and lovely.

Last night was homemade beeforburgers with salad, I seasoned the burgers with loads of sundried tomato pesto, garlic, herbs (fresh rosemary, thyme, sage and marjoram), garam masala and onions and the boyfriend said they were the best he'd ever had so I was well chuffed. :)

Lasanga for me tonight!

• Advertisement

Homemade fried chicken! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement