Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hill Billy wrote: »
    couple of mini-naans
    What should naan bread be like.

I get two different ones.

Large ones, pack of 2, from tesco, kind of fluffy, light bread.

Then some in Fresh, mini I suppose they are, but the bread is much denser and doesn't seem to rise at all, like the tesco ones do?

Any ideas?

What ones do you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fresh made Naan is nothing like the store bought kind. A tear-drop shaped flat bread, it will a doughy consistency when torn into pieces for shovelling up curry, but there will be risen 'bubbles' on it that are charred from the wood oven it's been cooked in. The fresh curry house version is nearly always thinner and bigger than the supermarket kind - like the difference between a doughy pizza base and one of those stonebaked restaurant versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

DesF wrote: »
    What ones do you get?
    For the sake of expediency - I generally buy the 6 packs of mini-garlic & coriander naans. Similar in size to mini-pitta pockets. You can just drop them in a toaster to heat them up. (A definite plus when you've got a few little hungry mouths to feed.)

They're nothing like the real mccoy, but tasty enough & good for mopping up sauce.

The naans on offer in most of the Indian restaurants I've dined in in Ireland have been crap. Mrs Billy generally goes for a garlic naan & I'm a keema man myself. Most of the garlic naans though seem to have more than a passing resemblance to the garlic bread that you'd get in Apache Pizza. :(

I've never tried making my own. Must try it soon. If anyone has any tried & trusted recipes - I'd be delighted to hear of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night my bf cooked and was a bit experimental. He put breadcrumbs, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic puree and some random hurbs in a plastic sandwich bag. Coated some chicken in a little bit of flour and then fecked it in the bag and shook it around. He then cooked the chicken in a good bit of olive oil in a frying pan. It was delicious! Like chicken goujuons only much nicer and we knew it was 100% chicken breast! Think we'll have to make it a few more times and experiment with different flavours!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Chicken Vegetable Broth last night.

Omelette tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I know this is a little off topic but the best naan available in Dublin has to be from the Bombay Pantry. It is exactly as described by MAJD and simply gorgeous.

On topic I roasted a whole chicken this evening and stuck bay leaves in the cavity which gave it a really nice flavour, must remember that. Served with roasted asparagus and tasty bread from the Bretzel bakery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Last night I wanted something quick and tasty so I boiled some rice for 10 minutes and fried some fresh tiger prawns and served them with plain rice and a choice of garlic butter or sweet chili sauce.

Made far too much rice so I could use the rest of the tiger prawns today in Nasi Goreng, which I'm currently waffling my second helping of, nyom.

Rump steak with spicy roast potatoes & butternut squash.

Hi r3nu4l,

I made your Tomato/Pepper/Mushroom dish this evening, really enjoyed it.

I used three whole peppers, one of each colour red/green/yellow, a good whack of mushrooms, two red onions, one chopped finely, the other more chunky, and two tins of chopped tomatoes. Salt and pepper and a decent lash of dried mixed herbs.

I didn't use tuna, I used two chicken breasts chopped up small.

I like my portions big, so there's two lots ready to be frozen as soon as they cool down.

So, thanks a lot, I think that's the third or fourth thing I've made from this thread alone.

:)

Des - Fair dues for giving the recipes a lash & also for the feeback. Nice one!

Last night - Thai green chicken curry (extra chilis) with noodles.

• Advertisement

Roast beef with all the trimmings last night.

Have a big thick beef sandwich drenched in Worcestershire sauce sitting on my desk for lunch. Can't imagine that it'll last that long though. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Beef & Guinness pie last night with mash and broccoli.

Slow-roasted belly pork tonight with mash, croquettes and carrots - and lots of crackling!! Yum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had spicy lamb burgers (lamb mince mixed with garlic, cayenne, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce) with all the usual burger trimmings, with marinated grilled vegetable kebabs and "healthy chips" (new potatoes sliced, seasoned and roasted in low-cal spray).

T-Bone & trimmings last night.

Are 'new potatoes' available all year round now? I always thought they were only available in spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Just about everything's available all year round now. Saw Irish purple sprouting in Tescos last week. What's that all about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

New spuds from Cypus, Italy, Israel, and Egypt depending on the time of year.

Mike.

I see.

Nothing like new potatoes, cabbage & boiled ham.

Cod (:() & chips from the chipper last night.

I have the following -

Conchiglie pasta
    tuna
    plum tomatoes
    mushrooms
    green pepper
    onion
    olive oil
    various herbs
    tomato puree concentrate

can this make a meal?

Mike.

Some kind of a pasta bake?

• Advertisement

Fry mushies & onions in olive oil for 4-5 mins, then add sliced peppers & fry for further 5 mins. Now add tomatoes, herbs & puree. Bring to a simmer. (If the tomatoes are fresh rather than tinned - peel them first by scoring with a sharp knife & dropping into boiling water for 30 seconds.) Maybe add a sprinkle of chilli if you have some to the sauce to give it a kick. I'd also chuck in some garlic too.

Cook the pasta as normal & 5 mins before it is due to be ready flake the tuna (I'm presuming here that it is canned?) into the sauce to warm through.

When the pasta is ready - lash it all together & chow down. Maybe with a bit of grated cheese on top?

Cheers for that, I'll have it tomorow. I ended up having cheese and onioned burgers tonight.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Steamed salmon with lemon and black pepper, roasted vegetables(carrots, parsnips, mushroms, broccoli, red & yellow peppers) and Batchelors peas! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I made a really nice soup over the weekend. Made stock from the chicken carcass (the remnents of the day before's dinner) and threw in lots of carrots, a swede, the remaining chicken breast and a couple of chunks of fresh ginger.

Three days later and the chicken flavour is really coming out now. The ginger was a good idea, it made it very warming.

Tonight was very simple pasta and pesto, but tomorrow I shall experiment with pork mince, possibly as meat balls.

Mrs Billy's chili con carne with a couple of slices of bread to mop up the sauce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a really nice soup over the weekend. Made stock from the chicken carcass (the remnents of the day before's dinner) and threw in lots of carrots, a swede, the remaining chicken breast and a couple of chunks of fresh ginger.

Three days later and the chicken flavour is really coming out now. The ginger was a good idea, it made it very warming.

Tonight was very simple pasta and pesto, but tomorrow I shall experiment with pork mince, possibly as meat balls.

Rachel Allen has a recipe for home made sausages with colcannon and apple sauce. I've made it and it's yummy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/homemadeporksausages_85815.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Rachel Allen has a recipe for home made sausages with colcannon and apple sauce. I've made it and it's yummy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/homemadeporksausages_85815.shtml

Technically not a sausage - no casing:confused:

I thought that might be a step too far for the plumy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I had a delicious beef stew last night.

Lamb cutets. They were lovely.

• Advertisement

I went to my mother's for dinner last night.

She did Ray Jowls in batter. And home made chips.

They were lovely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement