Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Sunday: Mr Magnolia's Spicy Thai Chicken Soup (well, very similar)

How'd it go down? How'd you tweak it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

T'was lovely thanks Mr M.

My chicken goes in raw & I use thai green curry paste (instead of madras or other indian-style) & not quite as much fish sauce or sugar. Matchsticks of ginger & chopped fresh chillies go in too.

I also use scallions instead of onion - add the whites during cooking & then the greens right at the end so they add a bit of bite.

A tin of bamboo shoots is a great addition.

I'll be back on an asian-kick tonight with thai yellow chicken curry with baby egg plants, okra & green beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fried plaice with skinny chips and mushy peas, none of it from the chipper! YUM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Homemade chicken saag with pilau rice (bonus really low fat )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Free range pork strips stir fried with carrot, onion, ginger, garlic, spring onion, preserved black beans, soy sauce, dry sherry with Thai fragrant rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Sea Bass with chilli, tarragon mustard and a side of a new warm salad i put together which i was delighted with :

potatoes(sliced), beetroot (cubed,cooked in caramelised sugar and balsamic), finely chopped tarragon & mint, small amount of spinach(raw) and rocket. finished with Serrano ham and hazelnut oil. mix all together. looks great on the plate too, didnt last long on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Risotto alla lodigiana, from Giorgio Locatelli's Made in Ialy. First time making risotto, very pleased with the results. It was very basic in ingredients and presentation, but the taste is amazing.

For dessert, made Nigella Lawson's old fashioned chocolate cake. Doused the layers with grappa, sandwiched it with homemade apricot jam and added orange blossom water to the icing. Very nice, but the icing is too sweet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

BaZmO*'s Tagliatelle Carbonara recipe for dinner, followed by a delicious raspberry cheesecake. I haven't made cheesecake in years!

I'm coming back home for a short break & Mrs Billy has a massaman curry all ready & waiting for me when I land tonight. God bless her! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Roast veg with cous cous and feta cheese. Yum yum

Roast lamb with floury roast potatoes, green beans and roast parsnips. The potatoes were excellent, but they came from an unidentified bin of something-or-others so I've no idea what kind they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

On holidays from work so have been cooking (and eating) like a woman possessed.
    Last nights dinner was sizzling garlic and chilli prawns with crusty sundried tomato bread followed by lamb knuckles braised in red wine, served with creamy mash and green beans. Cheese board to follow. Got a beautiful strawberry jam with green peppercorns in it last week, it was delicious with goats cheese.

Took a trip to Howth today so tonights dinner was calamari with garlic mayo, followed by mixed seafood spaghetti and buttered sourdough, yum. Some great bargains to be had out there...

The diet starts on Monday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Tuesday's lefover risotto was tonight's arancini, or "little oranges" - risotto rice rolled into balls, stuffed with a filling, breadcrumbed and deep-fried. In this case, the filling was ragù alla bolognese. Locatelli's recipe says to use peas, mozzarella, and basil (optional) as well, but I didn't have any so I left them out.

Probably could have done with a thinner surrounding of rice and more ragù, but still - crispy breadcrumb coating, deliciously soft buttery, parmesan-ey rice and rich beef and pork meat sauce. Absolutely amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Didnt get to shop or eat last night until after 9 as the kids where hyper!

Didnt want anything too heavy so stir fried some fresh veg with noodles and 5 spice. Then seasoned some lamb steaks and fried them with fresh lemon juice.

Very nice indeed but maybe too much stir fry!

In honour of the forgotten irish recipes thread, there's bacon, cabbage and potatoes on for this evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

bought fresh tuna in the market in Galway today, had it with a walnut and apple salad and boiled potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Roast stuffed pork fillet, served on a small portion of parmesan mash and with stir fired veg on the side

Nice Valpollicello washed it down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had a Japanese themed dinner. I stuffed some gyoza wrappers with pumpkin and chilli sauce; also made tempura prawns with a jalapeno ponzu sauce; main was a rack of lamb with aji amarillo pepper, soba noodles and a spicy miso sauce. I had a packet of pimento de padron, so I flashed fried those with a little sea salt.

Just made pasta with bacon, mushroom and cream sauce - I won't call it carbonara because it's pretty far removed from that, but yeah, that was our sunday lunch. Nyom.

Except I had a glass of wine and now I want the rest of the bottle. Boo hiss. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

My mums roast chicken & gravy dinner - cant beat it.

Tonight we had a Sri Lankan crab curry. I get frozen blue swimmer crabs from my local chinese supermarket. Cleaned and ready to cook. The curry had a huge flavour without a huge chilli kick, the sweet crab meat and the coconut based sauce were an ideal match. Definite repeater for this recipe.

Hi Minder.
    Would this work ok with normal crab meat (ie, meat from brown crabs)? Nana Billy has a load of crab waiting for me when I get home next weekend and would love to try this if you could post the full recipe.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Hi Minder.
    Would this work ok with normal crab meat (ie, meat from brown crabs)? Nana Billy has a load of crab waiting for me when I get home next weekend and would love to try this if you could post the full recipe.

The recipe I used is from Serendip: My Sri Lankan Kitchen by Peter Kuruvita,

Peter Kuruvita: Crab curry

His ingredients

2 green mud crabs or (1 box of frozen cleaned Blue Swimmer Crabs)
    400 ml coconut milk (1 can)
    1 piece goroka (aka kokum)
    1 cinnamon quill
    1 tbsp chilli powder (I used Aji Amarillo - medium heat and big fruit flavour)
    2 tsp cumin seeds, dry-roasted and ground
    1 tsp fenugreek seeds
    ¼ tsp ground turmeric
    50 gm ghee
    3 small onions, finely chopped
    2cm piece ginger, finely chopped
    10 fresh curry leaves
    1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
    3 small green chillies, finely chopped
    5 cm piece of pandanus leaf
    ¼ tsp dill seeds
    1 cup (loosely packed) coriander leaves
    1 murunga sprig, leaves picked
    ½ a lime, juice only

I have highlighted in blue the ingredients I didn't have for this recipe. Here's how I made it.

Dry roast the cumin, cinnamon, fenugreek, goroka and grind to a fine powder in a coffee (spice) grinder. Fry the onions and ginger in the ghee until soft - low heat, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the ground spices and the tumeric and cook it for a couple of minutes. Blitz the onion mixture with the coconut milk and some water until smooth, then return to the pan. Add salt and a little sugar, the curry leaves, lemongrass, dill seeds; when the sauce is simmering add the crabs. Cook for 12 minutes. Scatter with finely chopped fresh coriander and squeeze over the lime.

In the recipe online, Peter suggests picking out the crab meat once the crabs are cooked, then adding that to the finished sauce. So it should work with brown crabs. I would cook the sauce for 10 minutes, then add the cooked crab meat.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had chilli con carne last night, left overs did me today, Mrs Beertons had some too. Googled the meal, and this is the one I made. I'll be making it again, that's a definate, fab receipe. Below feeds 4/6.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    225g/ 8 oz onions, finely chopped
    900g/2 lb ground beef mince
    ½ tbsp ground black pepper
    175g/6 oz tomato purée
    ½ tbsp finely chopped garlic
    20g/½ oz ground cumin seed
    25g/1 oz plain chilli powder
    1/8 cup Dijon mustard
    ½ tbsp sea salt
    ½ tbsp dried basil
    ½ tbsp dried oregano
    450g/1 lb can of chopped plum tomatoes, drained
    ½ cup of red wine
    ½ tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    450g/1 lb can red kidney beans
    1 small can pitted black olives
    Serves 4 to 6
    HOW TO MAKE IT
    1 -- Heat the olive oil in a very large saucepan. Add the onions and cook over a low heat, covered, for about 10 minutes or until tender and transparent.
    2 -- Crumble the minced beef into the saucepan and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook over a medium high heat, stirring often until the meat is well browned.
    Spoon out any excess liquid fat (if using round beef there should be little or none).
    3 -- Lower the heat and add in the pepper, tomato purée, garlic, cumin, chilli powder, mustard, salt, basil and oregano; stir well to combine.
    4 -- After two to three minutes add the drained tomatoes, red wine, lemon juice, dill, parsley and kidney beans. Stir well and simmer, uncovered, for 15 - 20 minutes.
    5 -- Taste and correct the seasoning. Add the olives, if using, simmer for another five minutes to heat through and serve immediately on accompanied by sour cream, diced avocado, cheddar cheese or grated parmesan. Tortilla chips or some good bread are ideal to go on the side -- as is a cold beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I had verrry slow cooked beef shin stew with red wine. Only thing is I bought about 1Kg of beef shin, and didn't check the bag. The butcher didn't chop it up for me (aaaaaaa!) so spent about an hour with my puny knives trying to cut it up into chunks. It worked in the end.

I had the stew bubbling away for 5 hours yesterday and 1.5 hours today and served it with broccoli. The beef literally falls apart. YUM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Bazmo's Carbonara for me last night, pic on the cooking club thread it was gorgeous. Tonight was Thai red curry with prawns and baby potatoes. No pic as I had it eaten so quickly totally forgot. It was very nice though with lashings of fresh coriander!

Stewed ox-tails with pan-fried macaroni.

Mmmm ox tail... I find it so rich that I'll crave it, and I'll have it, and enjoy it, and not want it again for another year. :D

Home-made beef curry made by my mum, with Sharwoods curry powder, sultanas, mango chutney and a grated apple in it. There's nothing in it remotely authentic to any of the origins of curry, but it's still very edible.

• Advertisement

Mmmm ox tail... I find it so rich that I'll crave it, and I'll have it, and enjoy it, and not want it again for another year. :D

Home-made beef curry made by my mum, with Sharwoods curry powder, sultanas, mango chutney and a grated apple in it. There's nothing in it remotely authentic to any of the origins of curry, but it's still very edible.

Sounds like the Creda cooker cookbook recipe - remember the cookbook? very short, very wide with a thick yellow spiral binding...... and one curry recipe in it;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement