Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Seafood Doria, rocket and mustard green salad and pan fried fillets of mackerel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Dog's eating better than we are at the moment. Last night he had raw chicken wings and chicken necks, husband had nothing and I had a tub of rehydrated chinese noodles. Seriously need to get cooking mojo back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I hate that this thread has slowed down so much! On page 2? omg!

Last night we were at the Wilco gig in Belfast and ate at a fantastic Asian fusion noodle bar beforehand - I had the Singapore noodles with pork and fresh prawns and they were absolutely delicious.

Tonight I made a recipe I got on here - "crunch chicken" - which is basically chicken and broccoli bake. Unfortunately because I'm not very used to processed food anymore (it uses 2 cans of soup and 5 tablespoons of mayo) I found it really salty and didn't enjoy it that much!

Tried to get back on the horse today; made roast belly pork with roast potatoes in duck fat and a side of stewed beans. It was fine, but the quality of the spuds was poor and they tasted vaguely like rain. :(

Last night we had a simple dish of prawns, spinach and spaghettini - light tomato dressing made with garlic, basil and white wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Had a real mixed bag for dinner last night. I had crispy belly of pork and seafood paella/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Last night was Thai red curry with prawns and a garlic & coriander pitta on the side. It was delicious.

Tonight is going to be spicy chicken with flatbreads and hot sauce mayonnaise. But first I've got to get lunch out of the way (nice long lie-in means late lunch). Lunch is going to be fried mushrooms, couple of rashers and egg. Num num :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Peppery pasta carbonara with a poached egg

Yummy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

chicken stir fry with rice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Slow roasted (yes I love slow roasting stuff) leg of lamb with savoy cabbage and a garlicky oniony gravy. Oh yea.

The only thing good about winter and its crappy weather is winter warming food - I'm looking forward to stews, stroganoffs, curries, LOADS of roasts and dark meats. mmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Friday: Dopiaza-style chicken curry, naans, popadums & all the trimmings courtesy of Mrs B.

Saturday: Lunch at the Metro Cafe (average tbh), then dinner at Grill@Ollie's in Skerries (damn good).

Sunday: Roast shoulder of lamb with very garlicky/rosemary potatoes, roasted carrots, parsnips & squash. (Lamb & veg pie already made for tomorrow's dinner.)

Razor clams with root vegetables and red chilli, topped with a parmasaen crust. Goats cheese salad with a soft boiled panko breadcrumbed egg. Deep fried panko prawns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight is going to be a tomatoey, garlicy, lemony chicken pie with rough puff pastry and maybe some carrots.
    It might warrant a pic later;)

Finally uploaded the pic!:D[IMG][/img]P1020844resize_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LOL. I love the decoration!

ooo, pie, now THERE'S AN IDEA!!

I made a chili (on autopilot at this stage) and tonight made a nacho stack - start with corn chips, top with a combination of shredded mozzarella and cheddar; heat the oven and then turn it off and switch the grill on, place the dish of chips and cheese in the hot oven and allow the cheese to melt.

Then spoon over chili, then a home-made spicy tomato salsa, then fresh guacamole, finally sour cream.

Sunday was cold cuts of baked turkey and ham with couscous salad, pasta salad, tomato salad, green salad, coleslaw and garlic bread.

Last night we ended up in Wagamama and had the ebi gyoza (prawn dumplings) and Yasai yaki soba (wok-fried buckwheat noodles with fresh veg, egg, pickled ginger and sesame seeds in a delicious dressing). My husband had chicken gyoza and chicken ramen (soup noodles).

Tonight it's chicken with a pesto crust, roast baby potatoes, carrots and broccoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mrs.scales

ooo, pie, now THERE'S AN IDEA!!

I made a chili (on autopilot at this stage) and tonight made a nacho stack - start with corn chips, top with a combination of shredded mozzarella and cheddar; heat the oven and then turn it off and switch the grill on, place the dish of chips and cheese in the hot oven and allow the cheese to melt.

Then spoon over chili, then a home-made spicy tomato salsa, then fresh guacamole, finally sour cream.

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

Tonight was pork steak covered with ground peppercorns, pan fried with mushrooms, served with a creamy mustardy sauce. Had that with potatoes (par boiled, bashed up and put into a hot oven). We also had loads of different veg as I was clearing out the fridge. Not the healthiest of dinners but very tasty.

Tonight someone needed comforting so it was a rich, warming cottage pie followed by home-made apple crumble and vanilla ice cream, and good coffee. And two bottles of pinot grigio!

flash fried sirloin strips with softened onion, green peppers, chilis and fresh tomatoes - seasoned with chili powder and cumin. Lay on flour tortilla, top with grated cheese, grill until the cheese melts; fold with guacamole, sour cream and a handful of rocket, add extra chili sauce for heat. Eat.

• Advertisement

Rack of lamb with celeriac puree, boiled potatoes, braised gem lettuce and a madeira sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Lamb Kleftiko - potato wedges in a big casserole dish, lemon juice squeezed over, 3 bay leaves popped in,with browned stewing lamb, onions and garlic softened in olive oil, poured over the top, topping of sliced fresh tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese, covered and baked in a low oven (150 degrees) for 6 hours. It was tremendous (and leftovers tonight!).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

One of my favourtes; striploin with balsamic onions & bearnaise sauce. I bought the croquette and it was bloody awful, never again. On the other hand, I love my new griddle pan, in a different league to my last one. €35 in argus <3<3

DSC_2762.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

^^ very similar!

Striploin steaks pan fried served with balsamic onions and chunky chips (no bernaise here!)

St Emillion washed it down (only OK on sale in SQ which explains it)

Made this again - Asian style salad of pan fried sugar cured salmon, papaya and nashi pear, chilli, mint and coriander herbs, topped with half a soft boiled duck egg, and a teaspoon of salmon caviar.

Also made chilli salt squid. It was disappointing - I cut the squid into large pieces, hatched the flesh. When they were fried, they curled up trapping some of the coating in the centre, which then became doughy rather than crisp.:(

Was at a wedding last night with an unusually good menu.

Terrine of chicken to start, with red onion marmalade, followed by parsnip and plum soup and warm bread. The main course was a choice of bream or lamb (I had lamb, the husband had bream) with fresh veg and three kinds of potatoes. It was excellent, although the fish-eaters were disappointed that there was no sauce with the bream. It was all rather delicious, but dessert was a disaster...a thin pastry case filled with raw fruit (apples, oranges, pineapple). I don't know what they were thinking. By dessert though we were all so well seasoned with champagne and wine that nobody seemed to notice. :)

Tonight we're off to a housewarming dinner party where the host really knows how to cook. I can't wait. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight is mutton chops stewed with tomatoes (from the garden, sieved) onion, garlic, celery, carrots, herbs served with olive oil mash.

Last night I went the simple and tasty route; we use this as a 'too tired to cook' dinner instead of buying takeaway, which would cost us $25.

We buy a whole roast chicken from the rotisserie counter at the supermarket, or from one of the 'chicken shops' that are so prevalent in Australia (a store that sells rotisserie chickens, stuff and roasted over a charcoal bed. There is also a deli counter that usually serves roast potatoes or potato dauphinoise, and other things - roast veg, or pasta salad or cous cous salad, coleslaw, and of course the ubiquitous CHIPS.)

Anyway, buy chicken-shop chicken ($10). Get home and raid the store cupboard for rice paper wrappers. There's usually fresh veg in the fridge - spring onion, cucumber, carrot, red and/or green peppers.

Prep takes 10 minutes - we peel and slice all of the veg into fine raw batons and pile it on a large plate. We also bring a large bowl to the table and then bring the kettle of boiled water to the table and fill the bowl half way with boiling water.

Then sauces - one with dark soy with mashed garlic and chopped chili; one with ketjap manis and a fermented chili oil I'm very fond of, and a last one with hoi sin sauce.

We then sit at the table and proceed to make chicken pancakes, similar but not, to duck pancakes. Slide a rice pancake into the bowl of hot water. It takes about 30 seconds to soften. Fish it out (tongs!) and lay flat on your plate. Then put on a teaspoon of whatever sauce you want and pile on shredded chicken and vegetables. Wrap, and eat. The whole thing ends up very satisfying - possibly because it meets a lot of the five flavours; sweet, bitter, salty, sour and umami, most of them are in there and the meal leaves you feeling quite satisfied - you don't have an urge to go and eat something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I made this last night for a few friends

20sdtf7.jpg

its yummy (pie, meat you cant go wrong :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

It looks interesting, but what IS it? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement