Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

So last night the party at the friend's house turned out not to be a housewarming, but a surprise Christmas party for me and my husband because we missed Christmas this year while he was in hospital. :)

We were fed a delicious feast of turkey, ham, pigs in blankets, stuffing, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, roast parsnips and carrots, Brussels sprouts and gravy, all in the presence of the Christmas tree, to the soundtrack of carols and amidst stockingfuls of presents. Magic night! Dessert was eton mess and a boozy Christmas cake and lots of mulled wine and, of course, the obligatory chocolate from the selection boxes!

Tonight dinner was a bowl of muesli. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Surf and turf - Sirloin steaks with greek salad and chips. Prawns in Powder Brick Pastry with Gremolata and Aioli, following a recipe from a masterclass by Matt Moran on Australian Masterchef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Chicken noodles with chilli bean sauce, choi sum and enoki mushrooms.

Chicken and chorizo in a spicy, garlicky tomato sauce, with onion, red pepper and sweetcorn. With spaghetti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Darkginger wrote: »
    It looks interesting, but what IS it? :)

Its a lamb shank pie, looks like something desperate dan would have :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

Mexican feast- Pork carnitas, salsa, refried beans- all homemade- with wraps and nachos. And a bottle of beer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Darkginger wrote: »
    It looks interesting, but what IS it? :)
    foodaholic wrote: »
    I made this last night for a few friends

20sdtf7.jpg

its yummy (pie, meat you cant go wrong :D)

Desperate%20Dan%20cow%20pie.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Great thread. Lat's nights dinner was this:

brisket.jpg

Smoked brisket served with southern BBQ sauce and a bean salad. The brisket was smoked for 14 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

That looks divine. Pleae explain in minute detail how you did this. Please! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Oo, NEED the recipe for lamb shank pie - I LOVE the look of it :)

Tonight's extravaganza (for 2, no pics, cos we ate it!) was a fish pie with a difference - the fish was halibut, scallops (with roe) and prawns, in a cheese and white sauce, under a potato rosti topping - an adaptation of a recipe from Delia Smith, but without any pickled cucumbers, dill (spit!) or capers. It was tremendous :) Served with Aldi's best petits pois.

The rosti topping - dead simple - white potatoes, skin on, big chunks, cook for 12 mins in boiling water )let the water boil first then add the spuds), drain and allow to cool. Grate, whilst you melt a couple of ounces of butter in a pan. Add grated potato, stir gently to coat spud shreds. Use in place of mash on things like shepherd's pie, and bake for around 30-40 mins until it goes crispy and brown on top. Just don't squish it down - it's almost like a hash brown topping, and very very yummy. I should not be eating it.

Tomorrow is bratwurst (Aldi again!) with a warm German potato salad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Kimia wrote: »
    That looks divine. Pleae explain in minute detail how you did this. Please! :)

It's pretty easy but does require a smoker. Mine is this one http://store.cookshack.com/p-113-smokette-original-model-sm009-2.aspx
    You simply place the meat on the rack fat up. Place 2 ounces of hickory wood in the smoke unit. Turn the temperature to 115C and leave for 14 hours.

You can do this on a regular charcoal/gas BBQ with a smoke box, but you have to attend to it during the long cooking time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tonight didn't feel like cooking (a persistent theme at the moment here!) but made chicken wings anyway - deep fried and then well drained on kitchen paper; while still hot, tossed half in chili sauce (Nandos peri peri mixed with melted butter) and the other half in a BBQ mix - get a jar of BBQ sauce and toss with a tablespoon of melted butter and - this is important - about a tablespoon of ketjap manis - it improves the flavour a lot. Thoroughly enjoyed them.

Yesterday was definitely one of those days where you have to fulfill a hankering. SuperValu sausages, Heinz baked beans, potato waffle and fried egg. And a mug of tea. Perfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

tonight I made a minced beef wellington served with creamed mash, brocolli and onion gravy - t'was fab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Minced beef wellington? That's really interesting - do you make a sort of log out of minced beef with some flavours, meatloaf-style, and then wrap in puff pastry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Last nigth was comfort food, roast chicken, carot battons, brocilli, creamy mash and gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

last night was turkey and morel vol au vents, served with some wild rice.

Tonight shall be venison sausages, served with lentil salad and beetroot salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Minced beef wellington? That's really interesting - do you make a sort of log out of minced beef with some flavours, meatloaf-style, and then wrap in puff pastry?

Yeah thats it, its Jamie Olivers dish adjusted to my taste, you add onions, mushrooms, carrot, potatoes, peppers etc all diced up and add some flavouring like chilli, garlic paparika, cumin, tumeric etc etc.... whatever I can lay my hands on to be honest I amn't great at following receipes I always just bung in whatever.

My mam is going through chemo at the mo and she isn't really "tasting" food so I am trying to cook really nice flavoursome food when I am up home helping her so hence I am trawling the internet to spice up dished for her - my Da thinks its Xmas all the time!!!! - Keep all the ideas coming folks they are all helping - cheers:D

Warm goat's cheese tart with dressed leaves followed by a juicy striploin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night was a massive BBQ'd t-bone steak courtesy of the US Marine Corp detachment in Bern. And quite a few cheap beers too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Chinese style Pork chops with stir fried peppers, mushrooms, corn and red onion (with some basic stir fry sauce). Quite nice but I overdid the pork a little (browned on the pan and then baked in the oven for slightly too long!)

Beef and mushrooms in Guinness with roasties and steamed carrots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Fillet steaks with home made cajun wedges and baby carrots served in a little melted butter and sprinkled with tarragon

Very good if I say so myself! Drink was a Crozes Hermitage from the SQ sale. Wasnt bad but wasnt great either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Last night was Normandy Pork with cider and apples, mash and petits pois. Today it's roast chicken with stuffing, sprouts, carrots, roast spuds and bread sauce. Like a mini Christmas, really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pinky99

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Okay, I know a lot of people get stuck in a routine of eating the same dinners every week so hopefully this thread will give us all some useful ideas or something to laugh at.

If you see something you'd like to try ask the poster to post a recipe in another thread :)

Last night I had:

Stir-fried honeyed chicken breast with stir-fry vegetables, mango and boiled rice

Really tasty!

*The night before, I had curried omlette with peppers, garden peas spring onion, tumeric, ginger and a dash of soy sauce. Tasted great, I swear!

whats the recipe for the chicken with stir fry veg? It sounds lovely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

went to the wicklow heather (http://www.thewicklowheather.com ) for my birthday dinner was lovely:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Tonight I had teriyaki chicken skewers with stir fried broccoli, carrots, peppers & onions. I made a mix of schiracha sauce, soy sauce, orange juice, olive oil and black pepper and threw it onto the veg at the finish. It was very delicious and hot hot hot!

Leek and potato soup, followed by corned beef, carrots, mashed turnip and jacket potatoes with parsley sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I was treated to a wonderful dinner last night courtesy of Swiss friend of mine.
    The entire evening was 'help yourself' with platters of food put out & you just dug in.

Starters:
    Loin of pork poached in stock, cooled, sliced thinly & served with a shallot, carrot & garlic vinaigrette
    Chicken, beetroot & carrot terrine
    Pork, morels & pancetta terrine
    Salad of fennel, orange & pomegranate with a white balsamic dressing

Mains:
    Roasted ox bones (see below :)), roast beef fillet & rack of lamb
    Accompanied by spätzli (small egg noodles), boiled radishes, steamed red cabbage & a phenomenal gravy.

Afters:
    A huge selection of cheeses (Swiss, Italian, French & English) & finally, cheesecake, coffee & grappa.

129036.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Nice.

Last night, we had griddled entrecote of venison, fried knopfli, red cabbage, and a bacon/mushroom/red-wine/grape sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement