Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had a roast leg of lamb. Cooked on the bars of the oven shelf with a tray of thinly sliced root veg underneath to catch all the juices, (potatoes, sweet potatoes and parsnips). For a side dish I braised some white asparagus and served it with a citrus sauce and a garlic and herb breadcrumb crust. Gravy.

Tonight we had a lamb curry with the leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

We had Delicious Rib Eye Steaks, fried mushrooms, onions, red peppers and homemade chips.
    Nyom.
    I estimate 15,000 calories :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night we had homemade pizza....christening our pizza stone.

Pizza 1 was a mozarella, ham, chilli & onion topping
    Pizza 2 was a mozarella, chorizo, green pepper & parmesan top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

tonight was roast chicken, carrots & parsnips, cauli, homemade mushy peas, mash and seasoned roasties t'was yum

Last night we had gubbeen smoked bacon, baked potatoes, red cabbage and some brussels sprouts.

• Advertisement

In an effort to prolong the summer we had two asian salads. The first was a caramel chilli chicken affair. (Previously) cooked chicken coated in a caramel and chilli sauce flavoured with scotch and asian flavours - lime juice, fish sauce, chilli, garlic. Beanshoots also coated in the sticky sauce and then piled on leaves, garnished with crisply fried garlic breadcrumbs.

Second was a prawn and sour mango herb salad.

tonight was homemade chicken and mushroom pies and oven chips and beans - not the healthiest but tasty all the same.

For tomorrow I am cooking the pork steak recipe from the cooking club, more or less cooking it tonight for my parents as I am heading to my own house to my poor abandoned hubbie tomorrow - think we'll be getting a take-away............hmmmm big dirty kebab is calling me:D

Last night we had a starter of breaded mushrooms served with a garlic, chive and lemon mascarpone, followed by rack of lamb with a herby breadcrumb crust, potato and leek gratin, and carrots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Last night I got lazy so just did a quick stir fry.

minced some chili, ginger, garlic and a shallot. threw them into the wok for a few seconds then added diced chicken, when that had a bit of colour on it I threw in some rough dice of onion, red pepper and sugar snap peas, tossed them about for a bit, added a dash or two of soy and then finished it with some honey.

Sometimes the simplest things are amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Haven't posted on this for a while...

Got cooking mojo back, and have recently made the following:

Barbecue spare ribs to die for - details on another thread. Really excellent, will be doing them again.

Hairy bikers fish pie - google that very phrase for a recipe from the BBC website. This is impressive party food, with a sauce that involves poaching white fish, smoked fish, salmon and prawns in a liquor made of fish stock, chopped celery, onion and carrot and a chopped bulb of fennel, flavoured with saffron and vermouth. You poach the fish lightly and then strain the liquor, returning it to the heat and reducing by half before using that liquor to flavour a parsley sauce (that you finish with double cream, naturally). It's really excellent. It takes a while to prepare, but it's so, so well worth it.

Various intermittent pasta filler meals - either tuna and pasta with chopped parsley, garlic an lemon, or a quick carbonara made by caramelising some chopped onion and bacon and stirring that plus a fresh beaten egg and black pepper through hot, strained spaghetti.

Bought a piece of beef fillet recently. Want to cook stroganoff, and a beef wellington. Hmmm... :)

• Advertisement

bought a shoulder or pork and stuffed it and rolled it, served as trad sunday roast with mash, roasties, carrot and parsnip mash and mushy peas served with onion gravy - gosh yo'd swear i was a meat lover - actually rarely eat it but hubbie is a pure carnivore!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Squid and prawn tempura, it was the first time I made it and it was absolutely delicious. I meant to take a photo but it was all eaten before I got a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Went to Fallon and Byrne yesterday for their café lunch and had an exquisite warm goat's cheese tart (I am a creature of habit) with caramelised onions, sticky balsamic dressing and fresh rocket, followed by venison casserole with a herby dumpling and roast potatoes. Perfect food for this weather, although the venison casserole was definitely lacking in the seasoning department. My husband had their butternut squash ravioli in butter and thyme (to die for, seriously) and the seared tuna with pomegranate (again, good quality, but not special in terms of taste).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Canelloni filled with onions, garlic, mushrooms, peppers and olives, topped with tomatoe sauce and lots of cheese.

Saturday was boar pfeffer (a Swiss recipe, where the meat and veg are marineded in red wine for a week before cooking), homemade knopfli, and some veg.

Also, while shopping on Saturday I picked up some gems (chamoix) which had been hunted local to where I was. Can't wait to cook it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Tried one of rachel allens recipes for fish cakes, meh was alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Last night I had gorgeous crispy lamb chops with green beans and gravy, and tonight I'm having smoked coley mornay with green beans. The coley dish is a first for me so i'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

delicious colcannon
    fantastic carrots
    amazing brussel sprouts
    sensational roast potatoes

all fresh from the local farm shop

Mackerel - hard fresh with bright eyes. I filleted the fish and deboned it. Seasoned with a little flour on the skin side and some salt then panfried. Served the fillets on a pile of sliced salad potatoes, a few shallot rings and a handful of rocket and mustard greens. Dressed with a wholegrain mustard and sherry vinegar emulsion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Went to a friends for dinner tonight.
    Roast chicken, boiled spuds Carrots and turnip with gravy. Lovely comforting food for a night like tonight. Finished it off with a lovely glass of Jura 10 year old single malt.

Nice night :)

• Advertisement

Last night we fried off some roughly-chopped chorizo. Removed from pan, then fried off some seasoned rabbit legs in the chorizo oil. Removed from pan, then fried off some carrots, leeks, red onion and celeriac. Stirred in a bit of flour, then deglazed with white wine.

put liquid, veg and chorizo into a casserole dish, mixed in a small tin of chopped tomatoes and added a bit of water.

Put the rabbit legs on top, into the oven, and roasted until the meat was tender.

Served with polenta.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Monday night I had a beef stir fry, made using sirloin steak cooked rare.

Tuesday night I had homemade chicken soup.

Tonight I'm doing something with a lamb steak. Suggestions are appreciated.

Faith wrote: »
    Tonight I'm doing something with a lamb steak. Suggestions are appreciated.

Spice up the raw meat with a little chilli rub. Pan fry but keep it medium rare. Cook a packet of noodles (any type). Stir fry some veg with a little garlic and ginger. Make a dressing of thai fish sauce, lime juice, chilli & garlic to taste, sugar and water. Thinly slice the lamb and pile in a bowl - noodles - veg - lamb. Top with the sauce, chopped peanuts and coriander. Lamb with that crispy, caramelised crust and the flavours of that thai dipping sauce are a match made in heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Last night I had a big bowl of spicy Butter Chicken Masala with oodles of spinach mixed in. No rice or bread as I'm off carbs at the moment.

This evening, I fried up some lardons and some pieces of venison. Removed from pan.
    Fried up some mushrooms, red onions, chestnuts and garlic. Added the meat back in, deglazed the lot with some red wine, and allowed to cook in for a bit.

Served with homemade tagliatelle and a grape reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Made myself a sausage and mushroom lasagne - plenty of onions in it too

Yummy :):)

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Made myself a sausage and mushroom lasagne - plenty of onions in it too

Yummy :):)

recipe please if you wouldn't mind- sounds interesting - love sausage and love lasagne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    recipe please if you wouldn't mind- sounds interesting - love sausage and love lasagne

I just got the recipe from here. - Put in 1 and a half onions instead and left out the wine and 'dried Italian seasoning blend' :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Minder wrote: »
    Spice up the raw meat with a little chilli rub. Pan fry but keep it medium rare. Cook a packet of noodles (any type). Stir fry some veg with a little garlic and ginger. Make a dressing of thai fish sauce, lime juice, chilli & garlic to taste, sugar and water. Thinly slice the lamb and pile in a bowl - noodles - veg - lamb. Top with the sauce, chopped peanuts and coriander. Lamb with that crispy, caramelised crust and the flavours of that thai dipping sauce are a match made in heaven.

I had the above, more or less. It was delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

Must be the time of year!

I too made a lovely big pot of Beef stew on Wed night, and boiled up some spuds and Golden Ball Turnips together in a pot and added them to the left over stew for dinner tonight - Deelish!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement