Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pasta with green pepprer, onion, chopped plum tomato, half tin of tuna, mushrooms. All mixed together and served hot! Turned out quite well, though yet again I under estimated the lenght of time pasta can take to cook.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Raosted stuffed chicken breast served with roast potatos (with garlic & rosemary) and carrots and broccoli, with homemade chicken gravy seasoned with a touch of thyme. Delish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pad thai noodles - homemade.

Same as last night minus pasta and onion, plus spuds and peas.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A burger & chips while dashing for a train. :(
    Fast food in all senses of the term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Prawns in a garlic, cream and white wine sauce with fettucine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Prawns in a garlic, cream and white wine sauce with fettucine.

Sounds divine!

What recipe did you use? I can never manage to get meals like that to work out well.

Lamb chops, broccoli & spuds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Cheese, ham & tomato toasties.

sirloin strips flash fried, with brocolli spears, sliced mushrooms and pak choi in oyster sauce and beef stock, with a splash of soy and a spoon of cornflour for thickening, served with steamed rice.

• Advertisement

Lamb couscous with rose harissa on the side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A Kick ass Coddle.

DesF wrote: »
    I went to my mother's for dinner last night.

She did Ray Jowls in batter. And home made chips.

They were lovely.

Ray Jowls - is that skate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't know tbh, it tasted exactly like, well, Ray.

My mother said it was from some underneath part of the fish?

There were about forty, or so, inch spheres of fish anyway.

I'll ask her again later.

Faith wrote: »
    Sounds divine!
    What recipe did you use? I can never manage to get meals like that to work out well.

Put your pasta on to cook - this hardly takes 10 minutes.

Melt 1tbsp of butter in 1tbsp of olive oil. Crush 2 cloves of garlic and add them to the butter and oil - don't have it too hot, you don't want them to brown. Turn up the heat and add raw, deveined, peeled prawns, (I find around 400g to be more than enough for two people). As they take the slightest bit of colour, toss in about half a glass of white wine (150-200ml). This will stop the garlic browning and turning bitter. At this point I grate in around a half teaspoon of nutmeg and a add few good grinds of black pepper.

As the prawns cook, stir 1tsp of cornflour into a 200ml tub of single cream. When the prawns are cooked and the alcohol has cooked off the wine, pour the cream and cornflour into the mix, stirring constantly. The cornflour will help to thicken the mix - the cream will start thick, thin out as it heats and then thicken up again. This takes about 2 minutes max.

Turn the heat right down to keep the sauce from congealing as you drain your pasta. Stir about a tbsp of chopped fresh parsley through the sauce, then toss it with the pasta. Plate up in warm dishes and scoff heartily.

Boil in the bag chicken and rice with peas.

One knife, one fork, one plate.

Nice :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night, small bit of fillet steak, onion rings and mash (daughter liked the mash but not the rings!)

Tonight, (cause i wont get to post in the morn), is beef strog as requested by the pregnant ms kenco who wants to eaten something that tastes like something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Minced beef & lamb, garlic in a lettuce leaf. I **** you not.

Pork chops with roasted red onion, garlic cloves & spicy spuds.

Penne with garlicky tomato sauce, buffalo mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and parmesan cheese baked until golden.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Vermicelli pasta with bacon, onion and garlic tomato sauce with basil and oregano (and lots of grated stinky parmesan).
    Yum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Chicken breasts stuffed with brie and rosemary and homemade garlic potatoe wedges. Very nice!

Pasta/Tuna bake with cheese, peas and half a jar of sauce.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Starter of toasted bread with pesto, peppers and feta cheese. Followed by lamb chops (I think they were chops anyway!), potatoes gratin, mint sauce, gravy, roast potatoes, mushy peas and cabbage. I was then too full for dessert!

Lamb chops with rice with peas and cumin seeds. Simple and effective. It's getting hotter and hotter over here so our interest in eating is waning. I'm boiling a piece of corned pork this evening so we have cold meat to pick at with salads for a couple of days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ray D'Arcy's 'Smoked Haddock with Champ, Poached Egg and Black Pudding', it was on 'The Restaurant' last week.

I'd a Chili Chicken Salad at the weekend too.

Wild line-caught Atlantic Salmon - poached (as in the method of cooking). ;)
    With boiled spuds & a cucumber salad.

I'm boiling a piece of corned pork this evening so we have cold meat to pick at with salads for a couple of days.

Corned Pork? Isn't that just bacon? Corning traditionally refers to the size of the salt grains used to cure the joint. Bacon is cured pork. So what are the aussies selling as corned pork?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken pieces on the bone marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, mustard powder, worcestershire sauce and sage then roasted with sausages and chunks of onion thrown in around them. Roasted baby potatoes, sugarsnap peas and green beans. Pavlova for dessert.

• Advertisement

Tonight I'm mainly having potato with sausage and kidney beans and butter beans, the bangers and spuds are precooked and I'll throw the lot into an oven dish and cook for 25 mins.

Its cold and wet outside, winter food time. :)

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement