Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 johnnysexsmith

Pan fried Hake with roasted vine tomatoes, samphire and homemade potatoe wedges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

attachment.php?attachmentid=130428&stc=1&d=1286651553

My best moments in the kitchen usually come from cupboard raiding and being disinclined to go out to the shops. So tonight, from left-over mashed potato, salmon and pre-cooked crab (bought on offer in tesco), I made these fine beasties.

I didn't have breadcrumbs or flour, so for the crust I ground up some cream crackers in a (retired) coffee grinder. It worked really well. :) I love that, when you're forced to improvise but it still comes together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Cold, cooked, smoked trout with cold, roasted beetroot and watercress, rack of lamb with a red wine and mushroom sauce, broccolli and roasted parsnips, followed by tiramisu and a cheese board. Can't move now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

:pac::pac::pac:
    Practicing for Christmas? Good thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Chinese take away last night. Singapore chow mein with chips and black bean sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Oyster Beignets With a Sorrel Velouté

Also baked bream with Spanish flavours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Although I haven't eaten any of them yet, I spent the day making soups. I made tomato and basil, broccoli and blue cheese, and potato and leek. I then froze them all in individual portions. I like soup, but I always hate having to eat the same one day after day when you make a big batch, so it was great to freeze a load of them :).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tonight we had chicken tagine with spices. It was my second time using the tagine, and the better one. Food was delish. Juts wish we had some naan bread for dipping into the sauce.

CHICKEN TAGINE WITH PLUMS AND SPICES

The Chef
    Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin

Servings
    Serves 4

Ingredients
    ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large chicken, cut into eight pieces
    Fine sea salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon Madras curry powder (optional)
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger or powder
    2 tablespoons finely chopped preserved lemon, rind only, flesh discarded (available from Kalustyan’s, 123 Lexington Avenue, near 28th Street or Dean & Deluca, 560 Broadway, at Prince Street)
    2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
    4 prune plums, quartered and stones removed
    1 ½ cups chicken stock or water
    2 tablespoons almond slivers, toasted

Cooking Instructions
    Place a tagine (or large heavy-bottomed casserole) at least 10 inches in diameter over high heat, and add the oil. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, place the chicken pieces skin-side-down in the pot. When the oil starts to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon each of the coriander, cumin, turmeric, and curry powder (if using) over the chicken. Cook until the chicken is golden brown, about 15 minutes. (Check regularly to make sure that the chicken is not sticking to the pan.)

Spread the onion, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes on a cutting board, and season generously with the salt and pepper. Add them to the tagine, covering the chicken. Sprinkle with the remaining coriander, cumin, turmeric, and curry powder. Add the lemon rind and chicken stock, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add the plums and cook for a further 15 minutes or until chicken is tender. (It may take a little longer if you’re using a tagine.)

To serve, place about ½ cup of couscous on each plate, top with a few pieces of chicken, and spoon some cooking liquid and vegetables over each plate. Garnish with almond slivers.

phppKa8iBPM.jpg

Had a huge feed from the chinese buffet :D

Lemon sole with a baked spud and wilted spinach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Mejadra recipe that was in the guardian a few days ago

Mildly spiced rice, lentils and fried onions topped with greek yoghurt. It was serious comfort food and seriously yum. Really looking forward to the leftovers I've got for my lunch!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I have to start checking this thread more often! :)

I saw some oxtail in the Tesco last chance saloon fridge and gave it a try because I had never had it before. I did it with barley and carrots and riced horseradish potato.

I had oxtail last night! Asian flavours - sour from tamarind paste, then chilli, garlic, ginger, shallot, stock, kafir lime leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar. Braised for two hours then sweet potato added and braised again for another hour. Made it at the weekend. Ate it with white rice. The flavour is very good but it is almost too rich. As Sweeper says; oxtail - crave it, have it, then don't need it for another six months.

Minder wrote: »
    I had oxtail last night! Asian flavours - sour from tamarind paste, then chilli, garlic, ginger, shallot, stock, kafir lime leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar. Braised for two hours then sweet potato added and braised again for another hour. Made it at the weekend. Ate it with white rice. The flavour is very good but it is almost too rich. As Sweeper says; oxtail - crave it, have it, then don't need it for another six months.

Ha! Yeah, we were actually going to try a Jamaican recipe, but went with traditional Irish because I had half a can of Guinness left over from Magic Monkey's cake.

Roast cod with ratatooee (I know its not spelt correctly at all!) and parsnip crisps. Really need to eat some meat after 3 days of fish :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

spanish omelette with goats cheese and rocket salad

it was bleeding beautiful

i had never made spanish omelette before, i was thought it was some mad complicated dish (i used to live with spanish people and it would take them hours to make)

but it was so easy and quick

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Mejadra recipe that was in the guardian a few days ago

Mildly spiced rice, lentils and fried onions topped with greek yoghurt. It was serious comfort food and seriously yum. Really looking forward to the leftovers I've got for my lunch!!

OMG:eek::eek: this looks great

do you think i could use red lentils? as i have everything else in the cupboard (well, the yogurt is in the fridge):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Haven't contributed to this thread in ages!!
    So:

In the oven now I have 4 pork hocks slow roasting on a bed of onion, garlic, celery, leek and thyme with some malty ale (Autumn Blaze from Lidl - not great to drink but should make nice gravy).
    After about 4 hours I'll take them out and crisp them up in a hot oven for about 40 minutes and will serve with roast beetroot, roast carrots, roast potatoes, sautéed leeks and cabbage and yummy porky, beery, garlicy, mustardy concentrated gravy!!

€6 for the 4 hocks (would feed 8 easily)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight was stir fried pork hock meat (from last night's dinner) with onion, ginger, garlic, preserved black beans, Chinese leaves, chicken stock, dry sherry and soy sauce served with Thai fragrant rice.
    Nice:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

irishbird wrote: »
    OMG:eek::eek: this looks great

do you think i could use red lentils? as i have everything else in the cupboard (well, the yogurt is in the fridge):)
    I really don't know, I've only ever cooked with puy lentils - although I've some red ones sitting in the press calling me, I don't know how they'd react!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Well done one here for me again but it was good!

Pan fried Striploin seasoned lightly with tons of slow fired onions and topped off with garlic and herb mash. All very nice and consumed with a bottle of Argento Malbec from SQ which scanned at €6! It was lovely and for that price worked very well with the dish

We made a crazy pizza that I had in Germany once. It had bratwurst in curry ketchup and chips with ketchup and mayonnaise. Along with a bottle of Berliner Kindl from Aldi.

Currywurst-Pizza mit Pommes rot-weiss.

Pheasant biryani with a side dish of aubergines in a spicy tomato sauce.

I always seem to be posting fast food here,and only eat it really once a week.
    Singapore chow mein and a 3 in 1 with black bean sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Made puff-pastry pie filled with vegetables in smoked cheese white sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Pan fried teriyaki marinated darnes of salmon served with noodles topped with pan fried pepper strips. Most tasty and very easy and quick to do

We had bacon and cabbage, which I had had before but never made myself. Boiled the ham last night and cut it into good-sized cubes. Cooked the potatoes and shredded cabbage in the ham water. Mashed the potatoes with sour cream and wholegrain mustard. Then mixed it all together abd sprinkled over some sauteed baby scallions.

I was really pleased with how it tasted. :)

Dessert was a piece of CombatCow's Cooking Club cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I had home made chicken korma, followed by some carrot cake I made the other day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

salmon with parsley sauce, champ & brocolli & carrots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Tonight was stir fried pork hock meat (from last night's dinner) with onion, ginger, garlic, preserved black beans, Chinese leaves, chicken stock, dry sherry and soy sauce served with Thai fragrant rice.
    Nice:D

Whats pork hock? Im a big fan of pork but never heard of that cut before!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement