Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Vodkat wrote: »
    Whats pork hock? Im a big fan of pork but never heard of that cut before!

It is pork shin or shank (between the knee and ankle of front or back leg).
    It is tough and requires pretty long slow cooking and had great crackling too.
    It is often labelled as Golonka for Polish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight was grilled chicken thighs with the last of our garden tomatoes roasted with fried pollenta and green salad.
    Simple and tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had spaghetti - Sicillian style sausage in tomato sauce for me; tuna and artichoke in tomato sauce for Mrs Minder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

sugar-cured beef fillet on slices of ciabatta, rubbed with garlic, and dressed with olive oil and rocket.

I took a 1lb piece of beef fillet about 10 days ago and cured it in rocksalt, sugar and malt vinegar. Mix the cure ingredients, and cover the beef in them. Then, equally coating all sides of the beef, wrap it (yes, raw) in many pieces of cling film. Sit it in a container and put it in the fridge - I did six days, turning every 12 hours.

Remove from fridge, unwrap and rinse all the salt and sugar mix off under the cold tap. Dry the now hardened and shrunken piece of beef with some kitchen towel. Return to a clean tupperware container and refrigerate for another 24 hours.

Slice paperthin, and serve on slices of bread. It's melt in your mouth and the cure flavour is good; don't eat within 24 hours of washing the cure off the meat, because it's too salty, but that mellows with further time in the fridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Had Smoked Markeral and sauages

Cut some sweet potatoes and boil them in a pan until there done

But olive oil in the pan and let it heat up

Fry the sauasages in the pan

Add onions to the pan allow to cook until sealed

Add Spuds to frying pan cook for around 5 minutes

Add Cherry Tomatoes and Markeral

Cook for around another 3-4 minutes

Dress with Parsley and Olive oil stir it through

Its a Spanish dish usually done with Chorizo but I couldnt find one so I used JUmbo sauagages instead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sounds nice Conor. I'm low on the money front this week at college so just had rice,baked beans and 2 frozen breaded chicken fillets that were on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

greetings wrote: »
    Sounds nice Conor. I'm low on the money front this week at college so just had rice,baked beans and 2 frozen breaded chicken fillets that were on offer.

I know the feeling im in college myself but started more cooking this year was just doing stirfrys for the first few weeks but now im getting more adventrous. havent actually bought any processed food this year bar fish fingers beans and pizza's. got a wok there and its a lifesaver especially when the pan in the house is shite.

Tonight Im making whats left over in the fridge/cupboard so I think breaded Chicken (homemade I reckon this could end badly as ive never done it before) Sweet poataes Spinich and wantever else I can find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tonight, we had fried up some mushrooms, onions, red pepper and venison, made a white wine, cream, smoked paprika sauce, and served the lot in vol au vents, with some wild rice on the side.

It weren't half bad, it weren't.

Also currently spicing some venison (same approach as for spiced beef) which should be ready at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

stuffed chicken breast(bought from the butcher stuffed, in fairness it was half chicken) roasted veg and mash

desert was chocolate biscuit cake made by my mums boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I had plain old fish and chips :D I made the chips myself from nice spuds it was delicious :) Strawberry steamed pudding for desert :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 johnnysexsmith

Made Mac and Cheese with some fried pancetta and spinach last night

Lovelt

Beef stroganoff with rustic fries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We had our first bbq of the season tonight. Hurray! :D I'd forgotten how could bbq food is over the horrible winter months. I'm going to try get a bit more adventerous with what we cook this summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Friday night was steak with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, buttered spinach and a red wine and mint sauce that I had in a restaurant in London recently that I had to recreate. Made a fairly decent stab at it too.

Saturday I had minced chicken wrapped in parma ham to look like a sausage! Served it with dauphinoise potatoes, parsnip purée and griddled asparagus.

Tonight I'm having a seafood lasagne, another experiment. I've really been in the mood for cooking this weekend so went all out. Next week it'll be back to pasta and veg!

Cooked a full chicken and cut off slices and had it with mash and veggies. Tonight I am have some salmon not sure what to do it with yet may check the fridge :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Tonight I am have some salmon not sure what to do it with yet may check the fridge :p

Cous cous and either a salad or baked/green beans or peas! :) That's what I like with salmon :D Quick and easy.

Last night I had roast chicken with mashed potato, mashed turnip and gravy. Yum!

Night before was homemade chicken tikka masala with turmeric-spiced rice and the sauce made with chopped onion, chopped tomatoes (tin of), tikka masala powder and natural yoghurt all blended and then added to the stir-fried chicken and vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Me and my housemate take turns cooking. Last night I made

Oven Cooked Chicken Kievs !!!!!
    Oven Chips
    Pepper Sauce
    Baked Beans
    Sweet corn

Basically anything that was on special offer in dunnes !

Thank god my housemate is not picky!

Last night had some roast chicken and baked ham,roast potatoes,mashed potatoes,mushy peas,stuffing,bread sauce and gravy. There was some cabbage and turnip on the table too.

I did a curry with turkey pieces, peppers, prawns and fried rice. It was my first time putting in prawns but it worked really well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Had chicken pieces and chips last night. Tonight is Rachel Allens pork meatballs and pasta. Made sundried tomato bread last night will have some of that with dinner tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

a big plate of green things tonight it was lovely

colcannon, Brussels sprouts, green beans and some quorn burger thing nearly had broccoli too but i thought that was going too far with the green theme

and some home made stewed apple cake and a cup of tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Tonight is going to be panfried cod with mustard creamed lentils.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Sweet and sour pork with pasta instead of rice !

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I did a curry with turkey pieces, peppers, prawns and fried rice. It was my first time putting in prawns but it worked really well together.

Sounds lovely.
    Had home made kievs with pepper sauce and chips and onion rings from a take away.(Roberto's if irish-stew is looking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Had chicken korma with brown rice tonight, made in my newly acquired slow cooker.

Fried 4 large chicken breasts then sliced into strips (not a big fan of chopping raw chicken and don't trust the slow cooker to cook raw chicken properly yet).

In the meantime chopped three medium onions, one de-seeded chilli and coriander stalks and fried in oil and knob of butter until browned. Grated in a thumb-size of ginger. Added about 150ml red curry paste to the pan.

Threw all the above into the slow cooker with a tin of coconut milk, two large tablespoons of desiccated coconut and a half tin of water. Left the slow cooker on low and headed into college for about 3hrs. Came back and threw in 2/3 tin of chickpeas and some chopped up coriander leaves and put on high for two hrs.

Served with brown rice... very very tasty!

I oven cooked two haddock fillets and served it with nice creamy mash and steamed broccoli and baby carrots. I finished it off by drizzling over some turkey gravy.

Made a cured duck breast - been curing in a mixture of salt, sugar abd spices since the weekend. Thinly sliced on toasted ciabatta with a little rocket and a vinaigrette dressing.

Also made a risotto. Roasted segments of crown prince squash with garlic cloves in their skins. Made the risotto and added the cooked squash and the roasted garlic, some fresh sage and a pile of pecorino. Added some fried sage leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 johnnysexsmith

Last night we had rare bread prok chops briased in an apple and dry cider sauce, baked spuds and carrotts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

went out for dinner last night with my boyfriend.
    for starters i had crab claws and tiger prawns in garlic butter, he had chicken satay on a bed of noodles.

for mains i had seabream and potato wedges, he had fillet steak and chunky hand cut fries

for desert we shared a bannofi pie and malteaser cheesecake.

was a lovely meal and all for 27.50 each :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

went out for dinner last night with my boyfriend.
    for starters i had crab claws and tiger prawns in garlic butter, he had chicken satay on a bed of noodles.

for mains i had seabream and potato wedges, he had fillet steak and chunky hand cut fries

for desert we shared a bannofi pie and malteaser cheesecake.

was a lovely meal and all for 27.50 each :)

That sounds really good, and not bad value either! What restaurant was it?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement