Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

its called the tower bistro, its in the martello hotel in bray, their bar food is fantastic too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I some how managed to FORGET to eat dinner last night... Ended up having a very hurried mug of the soup I made for lunch with the heel of a loaf of bread at about 9 as I didn't want to eat anything too heavy that late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Made some pumpkin and amaretti ravioli with the leftover squash from thursday night.

have a homemade chicken korma simmering away as i type :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Quick seafood pasta - crab and tuna stirred through spaghetti with olive oil, chili, little garlic, lemon and parsley.

• Advertisement

have lasange in the oven and just defrosting some beef for a stew in the slow cooker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG all the stuff on this thread sounds SOOOO GOOD! I live at home so i just eat what my mum gives me which, don't get me wrong, is lovely and all but it tends to get a bit repetitive cos she's not that adventurous in the kitchen. The kitchen isn't big enough for two of us!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

pizza from the cooking club with homemade tomato sauce with tomatoes from the garden

fecking lovely but i am still stuffed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Sea bass in garlic & chilli marinade with rice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Irish stew tonight.
    Made with mutton shoulder.
    Carrots, onion, leek, celery, turnip, potato, pearl barley, blonde ale, water, thyme, salt , pepper.
    Very nice.

• Advertisement

Had a first try of a cured fillet of beef following a recipe posted by the Sweeper. Made some grilled ciabatta sliced, rubbed with a little garlic, wiped with a teaspoon of rhubard chutney and laid the thinly sliced beef on top. Added a leaf or two of lambs lettuce and a drop of pistachio oil. Stunning! Beef melts in the mouth. Definitely a keeper.:D Thanks Sweep.

If that wasn't enough, we also had baked aubergine topped with a salad of feta, chilli, pumpkin seeds, fresh mint and dried cranberries. Alongside that was a bowl of quinoa and a couple of roast spatchcocked poussins with ras al hanout and lemon juice.

If that sounds like tonnes of food - it was. So we are eating it all again tonight - mostly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

I had stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, parsnip and turnips yumyum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Sausages and colcannon. I been dreaming of this and it was the perfect way to end a cold miserable rainy day. Mashed potato with steamed cabbage and leeks, butter, milk, salt, pepper and a grated cheddar. With grilled Clonakilty sausages.

l8r42.jpg

There was gravy too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

fxcam1288719624205.jpg

Made a thai green king prawn curry last night with a recipe from the bbc good food website. Used chopped baby potatoes (boiled then fried off in the pan) and mange tout.

Served with boiled rice and naan bread. Was delish. Everyone wanted seconds so will double up next time haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Looking at that photo of sausages and colcannon- I want some now!!

We had a super quick and tasty pasta dish last night:

Stick pasta on (I used spaghetti but any kind works)

Fry an onion until golden, add a pack of smoked rashers chopped up into small pieces. Fry the onion and bacon until the bacon is crispy. Add some toasted pine nuts. At the end, while you're draining the pasta, add a handful of baby spinach to the pan and stir until it wilts. Add some black pepper as well.Tip the pasta into the mix and add a good handful of parmesan. Delish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

rylie wrote: »
    Looking at that photo of sausages and colcannon- I want some now!!

you ain't the only one, have taken the leek and parsley sausages out of the freezer, can't wait:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Better late than never...

On Hallowe'en I cooked corned beef (silverside) with buttery mashed potatoes & curly kale.

Funny thing is that in all my years of cooking it was my first time ever doing a joint of corned beef. Turned out great & Mrs Billy & the boys loved it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sausages and colcannon. I been dreaming of this and it was the perfect way to end a cold miserable rainy day. Mashed potato with steamed cabbage and leeks, butter, milk, salt, pepper and a grated cheddar. With grilled Clonakilty sausages.

l8r42.jpg

There was gravy too...

WOW.........just WOW....mmmmmmm that looks SOOOO.....GOOOOOD:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we are having Beef and Adzuki stew tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Carrot and Corriander soup (Baxters), hope to have either a greek salad (Marks and Spencers) or Beetroot Salad (also Marks and Spencers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Had spicy mince pasta bake thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight was honey and mustard glazed bacon and sweet heart cabbage with parsley sauce and steamed spuds.

Not sure where I heard this but if you grate a carrot, onion, celery, half a bay leaf, some black pepper and a clove into the milk, boil it up and let it infuse for an hour, and use it for the sauce it tastes so much better. Also some Dijon mustard in the sauce and lots of flat leaf parsley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

^ heard that one from rachel allen myself! never wouldve thought about doing it that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Had homemade vegetable soup which was really good, and some fresh brown bread. Followed by a slice of sponge cake, also homemade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Doing a few v. quick rice meals recently - boil rice for 10 mins, drain, return to pan, stir through some sesame oil and a splash of soy (a SPLASH mind), some chopped ripe tomatoes, various other chopped salad veggies of choice - e.g. corn, spring onions, capsicum (green and / or red) and a protein source of some kind e.g. cooked chicken, or prawns. It's a peculiar warm rice salad effect - but sesame oil and the tomato are a good mix with jasmine rice. Start to finish less than 15 minutes including time to boil the kettle first and pour into a bowl at the end.

Have just decided, this morning, to bake a christmas cake for the first time this year.

Was thinking 'where will I go for a recipe' and of course, things like that, first stop: Delia.

Had a pyrex box in the fridge with some confit duck legs waiting to be used. Today was the day. Crying out for an easy dinner. So a frying pan of potato parmentier, a salad of baby spinach leaves and some sweet tomatoes and a roast leg of confit duck dressed with syrupy Belazu balsamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Home made veg stew, used a tin of coconut milk as well as a stock cube, and every veg i could find in the fridge, fab.

Tonight was honey and mustard glazed bacon and sweet heart cabbage with parsley sauce and steamed spuds.

Not sure where I heard this but if you grate a carrot, onion, celery, half a bay leaf, some black pepper and a clove into the milk, boil it up and let it infuse for an hour, and use it for the sauce it tastes so much better. Also some Dijon mustard in the sauce and lots of flat leaf parsley.

yeah, carrot, onion and celery are the basis of just about everything on the planet worth eating!

Minder wrote: »
    Had a first try of a cured fillet of beef following a recipe posted by the Sweeper. Made some grilled ciabatta sliced, rubbed with a little garlic, wiped with a teaspoon of rhubard chutney and laid the thinly sliced beef on top. Added a leaf or two of lambs lettuce and a drop of pistachio oil. Stunning! Beef melts in the mouth. Definitely a keeper.:D Thanks Sweep.

If that wasn't enough, we also had baked aubergine topped with a salad of feta, chilli, pumpkin seeds, fresh mint and dried cranberries. Alongside that was a bowl of quinoa and a couple of roast spatchcocked poussins with ras al hanout and lemon juice.

If that sounds like tonnes of food - it was. So we are eating it all again tonight - mostly cold.

link to recipe, PLEASE!

• Advertisement

Last night I have a lovely Irish stew I made with some EXTREMELY cheap mutton I got in a local butcher. Went in looking for beef shin, got chatting, he told me he didn't have any but if I was looking to make a stew he'd do me a deal on some stewing mutton. Was perfect for the mood I was in. Made the stew sans spuds (actually finely cubed one medium spud and cooked it in the stew to let it thicken it a but) and served it in a bowl over a big mound of buttery mash. Was yummy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement