Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

rasher sambo, gonna make something proper later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Cheese and onion crisp sandwitch...yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Leek omelette with cheddar and parmesan.

Used Aldi's vintage cheddar which i am a tad obsessed with these days, i hear Superquinn's one is also very good so will pick up some of that next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Turkey and Ham! :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My mum put her foot down this year and refused to have turkey, so we went a little different. We ended up having roast venison with a red wine sauce, roast potatoes, potato dauphinois, red cabbage, brussel sprouts (yuck), pureéd parsnips with creme fraiche and nutmeg, and stuffing. It was delicious! Absolutely the best Christmas dinner I've had in a long time :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Absolutely trad - turkey (well moistened) ham, bacon, stuffing, bread sauce, gravy, carrots, sprouts and Christmas pud later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Christmas blowout:

Smoked salmon and smoked trout as breakfast/lunch/starter.

Then a couple of hours later we had:

Roast goose stuffed with chestnut, onion, bacon, goose liver,dried cranberry, orange zest, rosemary and breadcrumbs with goose, orange and rosemary jus.

Apple and mustard glazed, slightly spiced ham.

Roast potatoes; roast carrot, parsnip, shallots and garlic; lightly spiced red cabbage and sautéd sprouts with garlic.

My mothers Christmas pudding with brandy butter.

Selection of English cheeses (am in England).

Wines were a slightly too sweet but still nice Riesling (Dr. Loosen)
    and a pretty underwhelming Saint Joseph
    (I missed my own understairs cellar)
    and a really nice Lustau East India sherry with dessert and cheese.

I love goose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Had ham and a three bird roast this year for dinner, damn tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Back to trad this year for the first time in God knows...

Starter - grilled goats cheese topped with pine nuts served on a bed of rocket and drizzled in a mix of olive oil, balsamic vineger and chopped garlic

Mains - Turkey (leg meat great, breast a little over done but fine), roast ham, roast veg, fruiting stuffing and roast spuds ala Jamie Oliver the other night.
    Cranberry and Bread sauces accompanied

Desert - her good selfs lovely trifle which was devine

Later in the evening after guests were returned home and kids were in bed we had some turkey and ham on small squares of brown bread along with a selection of cheese and crackers (the chilli and lime cheddar was the highlight)

On the Wine front the goats cheese was served with a White burgundy (which only I partook but it worked well)

The mains were served with a Kiwi Pinot Noir (Whitehaven) which was greatly enjoyed by herself and then by me on return from drop offs. Continued on the Pinor Noir front until falling asleep sitting up watching The Departed!

A good day!

[QUOTE=Edgedinblue;69734329a three bird roast [/QUOTE]

Do elaborate, please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Appetisers - Pastry shells with prawn and egg mayonnaise; croustades filled with cream cheese and slivers of smoked salmon; deep fried breaded green olives filled with lemon cream cheese - served with shots of sherry granita.

Main course - boned and rolled chicken with sage and onion stuffing; poached turkey crown; roast stuffed turkey legs; boudin blanc; roast carrots, parsnips and carrots; green beans and brussels; gravy.

Cheeseboard, port and a sweet red dessert Spanish wine - Olivares Dulce Monastrell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Christmas eve: A cheese, fruit, chutney, pickle and smoked salmon pate platter with crackers, followed by roast goose, sausage stuffing, honey and mustard glazed ham, creamy garlic potato gratin, the veggies from the goose dish (mushrooms, onions and baby potatoes), broccoli, carrots and mange-tout and gravy. Dessert was home-made rum and raisin fudge and a wonderfully moist Christmas cake made with ground almonds in place of flour with brandy cream and cinnamon ice cream. All washed down with several bottles of sparkling wine. Whew!

Christmas day at the in-laws': Melon, followed by ham, some wonderfully moist and tender turkey, stuffing, chipolatas, pigs in blankets, roast and mash potatoes, caramelised red cabbage, brussels sprouts, carrots, cranberry sauce and gravy. Dessert was Christmas pudding with custard and cream, white chocolate bomb and traditional trifle, and multiple alcoholic beverages.

That was some feasting!

Lunch today was Christmas lunch soup - goose broth with goose, roast veg, red cabbage and sprouts. Yumm!

Tonight we have Christmas ham high tea!!
    Ham with red cabbage and stuffing and some cakes - how posh??

Tomorrow going to do a roast rib of beef with fried polenta, roast tomatoes and runner beans.

I'm so rejoining the gym next week (although it seems such a cliché to do so!).

Do elaborate, please!

it was stuffing wrapped in duck, which was then wrapped in chicken and then that was wrapped in turkey!! very tasty and something different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Today - the same as yesterday only less of everything! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

turkey and gammon Pad Thai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yesterday we had a 3 bird roast with roasties.

Today it was salmon cooked with soy, garlic, ginger and lemon with rice. Scrummy.

Went for roast prime rib of beef with a red wine reduction. Served with mixed veg and another load of roast spuds

Didnt think I would eat again after turkey and ham sambos at lunch but the beef was excellent, cooked perfectly and in a funny way a 'lighter' offering then more leftovers.

Aussie Cab Sav did the honours and nearly repeated the falling asleep on the couch trick but after a momentary "now would be a good time for a little Jameson and ice" hit the sack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Fish and chips tonight with some salsa sauce as dip nom nom nom :D

Frying pan pizza. Very tasty, but I undercooked it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

kylith wrote: »
    Frying pan pizza. Very tasty, but I undercooked it a bit.

sounds interesting - have you a recipe?

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    sounds interesting - have you a recipe?
    From Jamie Oliver:

1.5 cups self raising flour
    0.5 cups tepid water

Put a frying pan on a high heat.

Mix flour, water, a pinch of salt and a glug of olive oil. The recipe said in a food processor, but I don't have one so I used a bowl, a wooden spoon and my hands.

On a well floured board roll out the dough to 1cm thickness. Then put it in the hot frying pan and push well down.

Assemble your toppings. The recipe in the book goes on about whizzing tinned tomatoes with stuff - I used half a jar of tomato sauce, basil, oregano, a clove of garlic, and a good teaspoon of sundried tomato paste. Mozarella is a must, everything else is up to you.

When the base is fully cooked on the bottom put the toppings on, then put the whole thing under a hot grill for about 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

ETA: when googling to see alternative methods I came across a recipe recommending cooking the dough for 5 minutes, then turning it over and cooking the other side in the pan too, then putting the toppings on and putting it under the grill. I'm going to try that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

fillet steak, pureed honeyed carrots and homemade oven chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Made some teriaki salmon sushi (with cucumber and spring onion). Yummmm

went to pub across the road from me today for dinner, had chicken goujons, chips and garlic dip and a giant brownie and ice cream for dessert! nom! stuffed!!

Panfried seasoned lamb steaks with a veg stir fry with garlic and ginger sauce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

roast stuffed loin of pork with mash and carrots and pies, with cheesecake for desert :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Asparagus off the iron griddle with lemon, salt and butter, fresh soda bread and smoked salmon.

Roast leg of lamb with roast spuds and green beans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement