Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Piri piri chicken and spicy rice. Jamie Oliver's recipe. It was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

unseen wrote: »

Funnily enough, made something quite similar, with our own pastry though instead of puff and used a mixture of feta and gruyere, also I wilt the spinach, then push out all the liquid from it, and in a pan with some butter mix it with the feta, then assemble, either way spinach and cheese pie = win!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Fillet steak, medium, with amazing mashed potatoes made with my new ricer :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Salad of grilled asparagus with baby beetroot, a few sprigs of watercress and some hazelnuts, dressed with a hazelnut vinaigrette and a reduction of the cooking liquid from the beetroot (wine, port, vinegar and sugar). Cheeseboard and a loaf of bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cauliflower and chick pea curry with plain boiled jasmine rice - the curry made with a spoonful of Madras paste. Hit the spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »

Welcome to the world of the ricer - there's no going back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What is so great about a ricer.....
    Should be called a potatoer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Veg and dumpling broth, I'm eating like a Russian in a gulag right now.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What is so great about a ricer.....
    Should be called a potatoer too.

It makes the smoothest mash I've ever had. It's incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm over in Florida,the food is unbelievable.
    Went to the cheese cake factory last night,what a feed. The portions were absolutely gigantic.
    For a starter I had the 'Buffalo Blasts'- ''Chicken, Cheese and Our Spicy Buffalo Sauce all Stuffed in a Spiced Wrapper and Fried until Crisp. Served with Celery Sticks and Blue Cheese Dressing.''

Then I had the cajun jambalaya pasta- ''Our most popular pasta dish! Shrimp and Chicken Sautéed with Onions, Tomato and Peppers in a Very Spicy Cajun Sauce. All on Top of Fresh Linguini. Also available over Rice.''

Then I had the best dessert of my life,the Chocolate Cake Cheesecake.http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/menu/Cheesecake/30th_anniversary_chocolate_cake_cheesecake

• Advertisement

See you when you are light enough to fly again! :pac:

Pasta, pea, bacon, cheesy bake thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Cheesecake Factory rawks. I got some 7 layer chocolate thing there and my boyfriend got plain cheesecake with Splenda. The waiter looked at him in disgust.

Pizza tonight. I taught himself how to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Faith wrote: »

where did you get your ricer Faith, ive hd my eye on one for a while but dont know what kind to get

mike65 wrote: »
    See you when you are light enough to fly again! :pac:

Pasta, pea, bacon, cheesy bake thing.
    Haha,it'll be quite a while
    janeybabe wrote: »
    Cheesecake Factory rawks. I got some 7 layer chocolate thing there and my boyfriend got plain cheesecake with Splenda. The waiter looked at him in disgust.

Pizza tonight. I taught himself how to make it.

Aw the thought of having such a disappointing cheesecake would leave me in tears.

where did you get your ricer Faith, ive hd my eye on one for a while but dont know what kind to get

I got mine on Amazon. I think they're much of a muchness really. The one thing about mine that seems different to others I've read about is that it only has one size. Others seem to come with a few different sized plates for coarser or finer ricing. This is my one.

They pop op in TKMax and Lidl every now and again too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I got mine in Debenhams, pretty cheap too as far as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

mike65 wrote: »
    Veg and dumpling broth, I'm eating like a Russian in a gulag right now.
    Any chance you have a recipe at hand for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had home made salami pizza. Yum.

Tonight we had roast beef with carrots, peas, broccoli and roasted parsnips, with mash. Also yum.

Last night was chicken supreme on a mushroom risotto with green beans and a leek cream. Tonight we had a chicken biryani and a vegetable curry of sweet potato, chickpea and spinach to go with it.

• Advertisement

Any chance you have a recipe at hand for that?

Will post it tomorrow :)

edit I'll do it now.

Atora Original Suet (Shredded)
    Flour
    Water
    Black pepper

Veg stock
    Carrots
    Celery
    Butter beans
    Onion
    Half tin of tinned tomatoes

Obviously you could throw other veg into it - parsnips, peas, leeks or swap stuff around.

Anyway, boil kettle with 1.5 litres of water pour into pot with three broken up veg stock cubs stir until melted, chop up all the veg (I did a basic chop but you could put it in a blender for a very quick blast to soften everything up a bit) and throw in stock bring to a gentle boil and then simmer on a low heat with lid on.

Put 50 g of Atora Original Suet which is already shredded with 100 g flour into a bowl with a shake of black pepper for mixing together by hand using water as the "glue", you don't need much so add a bit at a time. Roll it all together like dough and then split into several small balls (a bit smaller than a golf ball is the right size).

The veg should be about 15 mins into cooking at this stage, put the dumpling in the broth and cook for another 25 mins, then add the tinned tomatoes give it another 5 mins (total time 45 mins approx) and either serve or cool in the fridge for when you need it.

The amounts should be good for 4 pretty full bowls of dumpling broth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Thanks for the reply,much obliged. Hope to try it during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Thai prawn fish cakes, carrot & sweet potato mash and broccoli.

Fish cakes were nice. Not sure I'd pair them with the mash again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

thai green curry, om nom nom...

Shrimp in a spicy cajun sauce with garlic bread for dipping for starter.
    Then had grouper fillets over creamy mash and creamed spinach in a lemon butter sauce.

Last night we had some fairly uninspired but never fail to please chicken fajitas. Tonight we're having beef in red wine. It's been simmering away all afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

greetings wrote: »
    Shrimp in a spicy cajun sauce with garlic bread for dipping for starter.
    Then had grouper fillets over creamy mash and creamed spinach in a lemon butter sauce.

every post of yours lately greetings has had me drooling :D

Last night was a veal meatball ragu on spaghettini. Previous night I cooked some frozen prawn and scallops to add to the remainder of the vegetable curry and served that with a pile of quinoa. Getting a lunch from the leftovers for three of the four work days this week which is keeping me out of the supermarkets. :D

Tonight's a "curry night" at my friend's house. She's a great cook, really intuitive, so I'm looking forward to what delicious treats she's gonna produce. I've whipped up a nice light lemon cheesecake for after.

• Advertisement

Tonight is dal and brown basmati rice (what with my health drive and trying to cut down on meat and all that).

Last night was pearl barley and Coq au (white) Vin (homemade from the freezer).
    Previously I've only used pearl barley as an addition to soups but it makes a really tasty staple for something stewy.

I had such a hippie bag of shopping today! To be honest they are all things we use fairly regularly anyway but I needed to stock up on whole grains as was out of lots of them:

Porridge, quinoa, pearl barley, brown basmati rice, red split lentils, butternut squash - I should have dug out my old stripy woolly jumper!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement