Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night I made a very nice roast chicken with lemon, garlic and rosemary wirth potatoes, carrot and parsnip mash, broccoli, stuffing and gravy. Perfect Sunday winter food! Tonight, I'm knackered and lazy so it'll be pasta with grated smoked cheese, butter and garlic in front of the fire. i also have dome m +s chocolate puddings in the freezer for emergencies. Tonight, it's so cold and miserable, and it's Monday that I'm going to eat them! mmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Minder wrote: »
    Corned Pork? Isn't that just bacon? Corning traditionally refers to the size of the salt grains used to cure the joint. Bacon is cured pork. So what are the aussies selling as corned pork?

Not quite the same consistency or cut as a piece of bacon as you'd understand it in the UK/Ireland. The supermarket version is a boned and rolled cut with no fat on, wrapped in an elastic mesh and vaccum packed. You boil it in the mesh to keep it together. The finished product, when sliced, has a consistency halfway between a piece of boiled bacon and a piece of corned beef.

They just do not know how to do pig products in this country. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roast free-range chicken with roasted spuds, garlic, squash, carrots & parsnips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night I made two pork pies. Am trying one tonight. How long will a pork pie keep in the fridge if unopened?

Water for "dinner" last night. Had a bugger of a molar extracted. :(
    Last night I made two pork pies. Am trying one tonight. How long will a pork pie keep in the fridge if unopened?
    Minder - A maximum of 3 to 4 days is the recommendation for cooked food to be stored in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I had an omlette last night with onion, tomato, mushrooms, herbs, seasoning and a little cheddar.

I did not enjoy it at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds great, exactly how I do mine. It is great! :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I had an omlette last night with onion, tomato, mushrooms, herbs, seasoning and a little cheddar.

I did not enjoy it at all!

What herbs did you use? Was there something too strong in it?

Hill Billy wrote: »
    A maximum of 3 to 4 days is the recommendation for cooked food to be stored in the fridge.

Sure, 3 to 4 days is normal for cooked food. But the shelf life on a shop bought pork pie runs to weeks. There may be a load of preservatives in the shop bought variety that are not present in the homemade version, but the recipe includes a quantity of bacon - the curing agents in the bacon are supposed to help prolong the life of the pie. Also the recipe suggests keeping for 24 to 48 hours before opening. That wouldn't leave long to eat the thing.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sure, 3 to 4 days is normal for cooked food. But the shelf life on a shop bought pork pie runs to weeks. There may be a load of preservatives in the shop bought variety that are not present in the homemade version, but the recipe includes a quantity of bacon - the curing agents in the bacon are supposed to help prolong the life of the pie. Also the recipe suggests keeping for 24 to 48 hours before opening. That wouldn't leave long to eat the thing.:(

Assuming the pastry creates a seal and reckoning the amount of salt likely to be in it, and if your fridge temperature is steady and it's not crowded by a bunch of stuff with fluctuating temps, I'd wrap it in greaseproof paper, put it in an air-tight container and happily try a slice up to 10 days after cooking it. Once I sliced it I'd probably try and eat it within three days though.

Apparently Hugh Fearnsley Whittinginginstables recommends up to two weeks for a home-made pork pie in the fridge.

Lasagna out of the freezer cabinet. Ahem :o

Mike.

What herbs did you use? Was there something too strong in it?

It was a real basic meal - I fried some onions and mushrooms and then added whisked eggs, chopped ham and some salt and pepper. As it was setting, I sprinkled it with dried green herbs and topped it with thinkly sliced tomatoes and cheese, and popped it under the grill.

It was just kind of rubbery and gross. Maybe I have simply gone off omlettes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Fillet steak, boiled potatoes and peas with onions and mushrooms in gravy.

More tuna/spud based nosh -

Steamed and mashed spud, a tin of tuna, black and butter beans, 2 thick slices of onion, a large mushroom thinly sliced, grated cheese, mixed herbs.

20 mins at Gas mark 6/230C. Very tasty.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Homemade chicken curry...twas yummmm!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Roast chicken breast, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, carrot and parsnip mash, gravy and homemade cranberry sauce. My quick stab at Thanksgiving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Thought thanksgiving was next thursday?!!:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had turkey in gravy frozen from the last time I cooked turkey breast. We had this with mashed potatoes, croquettes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. And stuffing.
    Thanksgiving must've been on my mind..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

It was a real basic meal - I fried some onions and mushrooms and then added whisked eggs, chopped ham and some salt and pepper. As it was setting, I sprinkled it with dried green herbs and topped it with thinkly sliced tomatoes and cheese, and popped it under the grill.

It was just kind of rubbery and gross. Maybe I have simply gone off omlettes.

Could have been because you put it under the grill. Next time cook it as normal until its almost set (it doesn't matter if its a bit runny), then add your cheese and whatever else and fold over in half. The heat will continue to cook the slightly runny eggs and the your cheese will be nicely melted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Doubt it. I always finish mine off under the grill. Rubbery means it was over-cooked be it on the pan or under the grill. Dried herbs can be very strong, I'd only use fresh on an omlette.

Last night I had home made chicken curry, yum. Tonight we had visitors and got a huge Chinese takeaway - even more yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night, for dinner I had...

A chunk of deer, wrapped in bacon, then wrapped in pastry.
    Pommes Duchess
    Red cabbage
    Roast chestnuts

Rather tasty :)

Rice with fried chicken, mushrooms and onions.

Mike.

Striploin with spicy wedges & beans.

Last night we had a real treat dinner - Nachos Supreme.

First we made a basic cheese sauce (butter, flour, milk, salt, pepper, cheese) and heated up the grill. We drizzled a layer of thin, crispy plain nachos in cheese sauce, then added more nachos on top, drizzling them in some more sauce. We topped this with a few more nachos, which we covered in cheddar. We put it all under the grill to melt and brown slightly. Once out from under the grill, we topped with heaps of tomato salsa, fresh chopped onions, scallions and jalapenos and a good drizzle of sour cream. Absolutely delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Garlic and herb sausages, Creamy mash and fried leftover cabbage with bacon bits. Tonight it's lamb chops, baby potatoes, veg to be decided and gravy for him and for myself I'm going to boil some brown rice with a vegetable stock cube while I stir fry carrots, peppers, mushrooms, onions, chinese leaf, mangetout, beansprouts and a bit of garlic. Then I'm going to throw the rice into the wok with a good dash of soy, toss it around and serve. Mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Macaroni and Cheese....can't get enough of it at the moment, it being exam season and all! Easiest thing in the world to make.

Rabbit pie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Where did you get the bunny?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement