Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

January wrote: »
    Why has your shepards pie got cheese on the top of it :eek::eek:

Yeah, the best part of a shepherd's pie is the crispy potato.
    My father insists on putting sliced tomatoes on too:eek::eek:WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

just made chicken mulligatawny soup. had a bowl there now, rest is for later. was damn tasty though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Chicken curry,rice and chips,was well needed. I'm starving looking around the forum now though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Made this tonight with mashed potatoes. Was lovely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Today has been one of those days, so dinner was a bag of Milkybar White Moments :o.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Had some salmon and smoked mackerel in white sauce, with mash potato with spring onions in it, and carrots. Smoked mackerel was reduced from €2.75 to 90c for a lovely pack of it, win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Rack of lamb on special offer. So lamb rack, quinoa with tumeric and diced aubergine, steamed broccoli and a watercress sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Faith - F&D mod synchronicity. Tucking into Double Deckers & Tiffins (comforts of home) & a glass or two of Primitivo rot wein.

Bad day at the office & can't even be bothered walking the 50m from my flat to either the kebab house, Thai or Chinese restaurants or even McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight we had glazed ham with goosefat roasties and steamed veg. It actually wasn't that good. The ham was from Aldi and was quite fatty (in the interior fillet as opposed to round the outside). It was 1kg when we bought it, and after just two medium servings at dinner there are only about 3 small slices left for a single sambo tomorrow. A bit disappointing all round.

My husband made some absolutely killer brownies though (exam stress baking :)). I had one of those with a cuppa this eve too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Well I haven't been here in an absolute AGE - since the big hack/crash in fact. But sure I'll take up where I left off:

Last night - bobotie. I used to eat this in Ciao on Baggot St. Bridge all the time (lovely place which was sadly replaced by a Milano a couple of years back). Last night was my first time making it and it was absolutely gorgeous. Definitely going in the "regular" pile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What a coincidence! There was a recipe only posted for that yesterday (here). I'd never heard of it until then. Must give it a shot.

Is your recipe any different?

We eat bobotie fairly regularly as it's cheap and tasty. The recipe we use Hill Billy is a bit more traditional than the one you just linked to - Bobotie by Antony Worrall Thompson. <- That's how my South African friends make it, give or take a housewife's tweaking.

Edit: You've never heard of it? I've posted in here about eating it several times! :)

Tonight we had glazed ham with goosefat roasties and steamed veg. It actually wasn't that good. The ham was from Aldi and was quite fatty (in the interior fillet as opposed to round the outside). It was 1kg when we bought it, and after just two medium servings at dinner there are only about 3 small slices left for a single sambo tomorrow. A bit disappointing all round.

My husband made some absolutely killer brownies though (exam stress baking :)). I had one of those with a cuppa this eve too.

Hmmmm I'd love a brownie.
    I'd some nice smoked bacon,creamy mash and gravy today. Lots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Made chicken goujan type things, crushed some garlic rubbed it into the chicken, made breadcrumbs with paprika, thyme, salt and pepper. Covered the chicken with the breadcrumbs and put in the oven for about 20 mins. Had it with pasta that had been cooked with spinach and a little bit of balsamic vinegar.

Really quick, easy and tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Hill Billy wrote: »
    What a coincidence! There was a recipe only posted for that yesterday (here). I'd never heard of it until then. Must give it a shot.

Is your recipe any different?

Mine is more like the AWT one posted below, with a few slight adjustment to make it Weight Watchers friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I made curry last night, I'll have to make it more watery...was trying for chinese style currry but it will never be the same!

Tasty curry for leftovers though...mmmm nom nom nom....

@Faith, I love the idea of the Milkybar white moments....*rummages for white chocolate*

Dinner was a pasta dish of penne with a gorgonzola sauce - cheese, white wine, cream, toasted pinenuts and fennel fronds. Rich - almost too rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

emaleth wrote: »
    Yum. Could we have a recipe, please?

Hey - extremely easy using a shop-bought paste!!

The thing I find about shop-bought pastes is they benefit hugely from rounding off - adding extra flavours and ingredients to really introduce some pizaz pizzazz pizass life into them.

I use a jar of Sharwoods madras curry paste.

Finely slice an onion. Add some ghee to a pan and allow to melt. Add the onion to the ghee and start to soften. Add about two teaspoons of fresh ginger, chopped as fine as possible, or blitzed to a paste. Cook the ginger and onions and allow them to take colour without burning.

Add a couple of tablespoons of the paste. Cook until the 'rawness' has gone off it. Then add your cubes of raw lamb. Seal the meat in the paste, then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and top up the sauce with water until it's just shy of the top of the meat in the pan. Add a tablespoon of tomato puree if you wish.

Cook gently - do not boil, as this will turn your lamb into rubber.

Before serving, stir through a handful of chopped coriander (to taste). The sharwoods madras sauce is reasonably hot so you can also add chili or leave it out, depending if you're a chili nut.

I take the same approach to a green curry paste - you can either go paste + coconut milk + meat, or you can go paste + bruised lemongrass stalks + meat to seal + coconut milk + crumpled kaffir lime leaves + fish sauce to finish - and the latter method makes a huge difference!

I am able to cook a madras from scratch, and I have a variety of recipe books to help me do it, but I find that the result is often indistinguishable from the Sharwoods method, because the spices that I store in my pantry are relatively stale in the grand scheme of things. You don't realise quite how stale until you get your hands on some fresh spice and then you see the difference (which is considerable).

Mum made a nice chicken stir fry with peppers,onions and sweetcorn with some sort of garlic and chilli sauce,served with boiled rice. Simple but delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

tesco veggie burgers and brown rice, the burgers were suprisingly nice:)

• Advertisement

Chilli, good old Friday night food. So delicious. Leftovers in wraps for lunch tomorrow (well, they will be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

lazy day food, fish finger sambos with batch bread:p

Fillet of seabass with buttery mash potatoes and asparagus with a beurre blanc cream.

I've just prepared a beef madras and put it in the slow cooker for the day. Looking forward to some melt-in-the-mouth curry later. Will have some raita, chutney, naan and basmati with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Had Jamie Olivers Chicken pie.... Was amazing! Never tasted a pie like it before.
    1h7yn4.jpg

Last night was:
    Miso soup with tofu, spring onion and wakme.
    Grilled chicken thighs with fine green beans, jus and some nice bread.

Had friends over so made deep fried chilli tofu with stirfried mushrooms and udon noodles; sticky wings with a sauce made from tommy K, BBQ sauce and worcester sauce; grilled aubergine salad with chilli and mint leaves, garlic & chilli ponzu sauce; egg fried rice.

Last night had:

Fried Chinese spiced tofu with stir-fried cabbage and sugarsnaps with garlic, ginger, chilli, preserved black beans, sherry, soy and chicken stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

spag bol. simple sauce of white wine and passata with herbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Roast chicken - rubbed in a salt, pepper, butter and tarragon mix into the skin and pre boiled lemon in the cavity. Served with hasselback spuds and broccoli boiled and then tossed in lemon infused olive oil

All washed down with buckets of Chiliean Merlot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement