Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Made some smoked mackerel paté, had it with pittas and salad, yum. Followed by some experimental tiramisu cupcakes, which were a tasty success!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Steak, pepper sauce, roast paprika spuds, honey roast parsnips and some creamed spinach, great Saturday evening/hangover food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had tandoori chicken, jeera rice, dhal and an dry okra curry. Tasty food, but the Tesco Finest peshwari naans were rubbish - really doughy - binned after two bites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night - nothing. Went to the Killeshin in Portlaoise for the night. I ordered fillet steak for my main and when it arrived, it was a sirloin. When I said it to the waitress she looked at me like I'd ten heads, then finally deigned to take it back to the kitchen to "ask the chef". I was like, "Seriously, love, I can tell the difference between a sirloin and a fillet." She came back to announce that they were out of fillet, but I was so annoyed that they hadn't just said that when I ordered that I didn't bother ordering anything else.

Seriously, what kind of chef thinks they can pass off a sirloin as a fillet without anyone noticing??? Needless to say, I won't be rushing back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Last night - nothing. Went to the Killeshin in Portlaoise for the night. I ordered fillet steak for my main and when it arrived, it was a sirloin. When I said it to the waitress she looked at me like I'd ten heads, then finally deigned to take it back to the kitchen to "ask the chef". I was like, "Seriously, love, I can tell the difference between a sirloin and a fillet." She came back to announce that they were out of fillet, but I was so annoyed that they hadn't just said that when I ordered that I didn't bother ordering anything else.

Seriously, what kind of chef thinks they can pass off a sirloin as a fillet without anyone noticing??? Needless to say, I won't be rushing back there.

I hate people trying to pull a fast one like that there.
    Had a rather unhealthy day today,one of those eat all day kind of days.
    Dinner was chicken lasagne and some beef lasagne,both home made,with garlic and cheese potatoes and loads of strawberry ribena :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Stunningly bad service there Honey-ec. What a disaster.

Tonight we had (sorry to gloat) some wonderfully rare fillet steak, with griddled asparagus with bacon, baked potatoes, pepper sauce and salad. (Twas home-cooked though!)

Honey-ec that's incredible, fair play for making a point out of, i know you say you won't be rushing back but what was your fellow diners food like just out of interest?

Tonight was de-boned chicken thighs, stuffed with an apricot/pistachio and slightly orangey stuffing, wrapped up in streaky bacon, with some steamed cabbage just served with lemon juice and plenty of black pepper, and gorgeous paprika roast spuds. Had it with a surprisingly nice honey/mustard sauce. Was all lovely, maybe a little on the sweet side but i was that mood so suited me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dinner on Saturday was bobotie. Delish!
    Lunch on Sunday was leftover bobotie 'sloppy joes' with hot sauce.
    Thanks to neuro-praxis & Honey-ec!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Dinner on Saturday was bobotie. Delish!
    Lunch on Sunday was leftover bobotie 'sloppy joes' with hot sauce.
    Thanks to neuro-praxis & Honey-ec!!

I must try this bobotie thing. I'm getting in to South African cuisine. I was there for a month over Christmas (other half is from Joburg) and ate the following three yum things I'm going to make soon:

Milk Tart
    Malva Pudding (I would actually step over dead bodies to get to this. It is delicious!!)
    potjie (a South African stew made in a little cauldron thing over a fire). It was amazing, made even more amazing that my OH's cousin who made it is a chef and is Indian South African so it was spicer than it would normally be. It was one of the best things I've ever tasted. He gave me a "recipe" which is really just a list of ingredients so it could be interesting cooking it.

I'll report back if I find good recipes. In the meantime, bobotie is on the menu this weekend.

Last night we had pie and chips with sweetcorn. Awesomeness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Baby potatoes, peas and a salmon fillet marinated in sweet chilli. Loads of tomato ketchup and loads of butter. yummmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Haven't actually eaten it yet but I'm in the process of making the Rosemary & Sea salt foccacia from "Baking Made Easy", gonna serve this with mussels in white wine sauce for starters. Is anyone else watching it? Some really nice dishes so far on it...

Mains is braised oxtails in red wine with basil dumplings. Bit of an experiment but there are good smells coming from the oven so I'm optimisitic. Any spare wine goes to the chef :D

Ah, the joys of a day off work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Tonight I made stuffed and roasted pork steak, with baked potatoes, peas, brocolli and carrots. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Prawn Stir fry with mussels, corn, peppers, carrots and noodles in a sweet and sour sauce :p It was delicious I'm very proud of myself :D

164747_10150090178902259_833992258_6014985_1792769_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was duck breasts with pollenta, runner beans, garlic sautéed leeks, honey and ginger carrots with a rhubarb, ginger, soy jus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chicken and mushroom pie in flakey pastry, rather too much of it. Feeling a bit full! Will stick details in the Easy Peasy Recipies thread later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight is going to be butter bean (if they ever cook) and tomato stew with sautéed Jerusalem artichokes and shredded cabbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I had a fish finger sambo and two potato waffles. Trying to decide what to cook next on my cooking rampage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had tagliatele carbonara from the boards.ie cooking club- a little heavy but very tasty!

Our dinner last night was so simple but so unbelievably good. A rich, cheesy cottage pie (yes that's right, bring the cheese) with chunks of buttery French bread and fresh corn on the cob. Pure unadulterated comfort food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I had spaghetti carbonara too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm going to make carbonara shortly :D. I'll also be making Mr. Magnolia's Thai Chicken Noodle Soup later for my parents tonight, and for my lunch tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Tonight I had a very uninspired and boring dinner! A garlic chicken kiev with curly fries.

I had two lovely giant leek and pork sausages from our butcher, they were massive, i must start taking pics. Anyway had 'em with mash of course, made with some mustard and parmesan. I would've liked to have done them in a red wine sauce but had none so setlled for a white wine, beef stock and onion sauce and some roasted parsnip and carrot. It was lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had masterstock chicken with spiced butter, alongside that was special fried rice. Dipping sauce of citrus soy (ponzu) with chopped ginger, spring onion and a squeeze of lime. Another side dish was a chilli salt - chilli powder, sichuan pepper, sea salt and toasted seasme seeds.

Minder wrote: »
    Last night we had masterstock chicken with spiced butter, alongside that was special fried rice. Dipping sauce of citrus soy (ponzu) with chopped ginger, spring onion and a squeeze of lime. Another side dish was a chilli salt - chilli powder, sichuan pepper, sea salt and toasted seasme seeds.

Had to just google this, seems it got a lot of attention on Masterchef Australia, sounds amazing, how did yours turn out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I had popcorn with extra butter in UCI yummy. and she put tons of butter on it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

It must be carbonara week. I had Pasta carbonara a lá Cooking Club Week 33. It was lovely, really creamy. It tasted exactly like what I would pay 15 euro for in a restaurant which has rocked my tiny world a little bit. It cost about 8 euro for the two portions, mostly because I had to buy the cream/cheese/whatnot.

I could cook other things I pay 15 euro for outside! Right?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Had some pizza it was delicious :p

Tomorrow I'm cooking a gammon joint. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Good to see the Carbonara is popular! :)

I had Chicken, Pasta & Boston Beans in a cream and white wine sauce concoction last night.

Also made a nice vegetable soup to have for lunch today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement