Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*burps* :)

ChickenandMushroomPie2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

@ S.R.F.C.

The masterstock chicken was very good, but with all the flavour boosters,it could hardly fail. I used chicken thighs, poached in the stock for 20 minutes then roasted in the oven with the spiced butter for 20 minutes. The masterstock I made from scratch, it was chicken stock, shaoshing wine, soy sauce, star anise, cinnamon stick, dried shiitake mushrooms, dried tangerine peel, fresh ginger, garlic and spring onion. I skimmed the finished stock and froze it - will see what it's like after a few uses. I made one before - seduced by the tales of age old masterstocks, but after a few uses it had a film on top that gave me the shudders, so I binned it.

Last night we had pies - made months ago, they'd lurked in the dark recesses of the freezer so last night I cooked them frpm frozen in a 150c oven for just over an hour. Turned out very well. One was a beef and guinness and the other I think was a venison. Need a motief to be able to identify a previously made pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mike65 wrote: »
    *burps* :)

ChickenandMushroomPie2.jpg

Bit of a beast, did you finish it?
    What is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was going to ask the same question Rigger.
    Take away for me tonight.
    Chicken curry with noodles and chips,was so full after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

A piece of Upside Down apple pie with a glass of strong red dessert wine is the ticket for a relaxing night.

DSC04803.jpg

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Bit of a beast, did you finish it?
    What is it?
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    I was going to ask the same question Rigger.

Tis this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I was in Zest in Clane last night; it was a bit meh. I fancied simple, tasty food and had smokies to start, pasta and meatballs, and their ice cream. The 3 others all had the swordfish main - €20 for a griddled swordfish steak, and nothing with it. Generally unnimpressed. Nothing was delicious enough to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I had punjabi chicken curry, first time cooking it. Real homely dish

Onion bhaji cutlets and lamb pasanda with basmati and naan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Beef, pork and chicken in Black Pepper sauce with egg fried rice, from the Chinese recipes thread

Enjoyed by all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Saturday night we had:

Asian crab cakes with carrot and fennel slaw.

Slow roast shoulder of pork with a garlic, ginger, lemon zest, chilli and spice coating.
    Ginger and lemon cabbage.
    Roast Jerusalem artichokes.
    Butterbean stew.

Irish cheese board.

Twas good but there were too many flavours going on on the main course plate, also I'd hoped that the pork would be more falling apart after 4 hours.
    I'm my own harshest critic;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I was out for dinner yest (Avenue in Maynooth) so I had bruschetta which were very tasty followed by some amazing lamb - it was so soft I could have eaten it with a spoon! The lamb was served with very creamy mash and baby carrots. Sticky toffee pudding to finish, gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

chicken and barley stew made in the slow cooker:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I started out planning to make BaZmO*'s carbonara from the Cooking Club, but it mutated according to ingredients. Instead of tagliatelle, I used linguine. I used pork belly cubes from Aldi, which I fried until lovely and crispy with some garlic. Because I haven't been eating much veg, I threw in a rake of petit pois and fried them with the bacon. I didn't have any parmesan, but I had half a ball of mozzarella which needed to be used up, so I added it to the frying pan to melt it, then added cream and and egg. The residual heat cooked the egg, and with a bit of seasoning it was DELICIOUS! :D

Chips, mackerel omlette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

A nice dish of macaroni cheese. :)
    A roux + cheese, into pasta, into the oven. Nom.

Saturday I was at a family celebration Persian style - Sister in Law's Brother in Law (make sense?) got married. Dinner was whole roast lamb and lots of other goodies.

Last night I made a roast poussin with wilted spinach and anya potatoes, a brown bread sauce and a tarragon emulsion. The brown bread sauce was a chicken stock reduction with shallots, a slice of brown bread, cream and two smoked mussels. The flavour was very good but the recipe I used was too heavy on the cream. The mussels add a smokey umami flavour thats not at all fishy. Next time less cream and more stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Tonight I made a stuffed roasted red pepper. Inside the pepper I had a mix of quinoa, red pesto, goats cheese, mushrooms and olives. It was fab.

I made too much quinoa so will be having it for breakfast with blueberries, natural yoghurt and honey.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Had some lovely chicken fajitas, made with some carrot, long red sweet peppers, cumin, paprika and assorted other things lying about. Was delish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Minder wrote: »
    Saturday I was at a family celebration Persian style - Sister in Law's Brother in Law (make sense?) got married. Dinner was whole roast lamb and lots of other goodies.

Last night I made a roast poussin with wilted spinach and anya potatoes, a brown bread sauce and a tarragon emulsion. The brown bread sauce was a chicken stock reduction with shallots, a slice of brown bread, cream and two smoked mussels. The flavour was very good but the recipe I used was too heavy on the cream. The mussels add a smokey umami flavour thats not at all fishy. Next time less cream and more stock.

Ignore my ignorance but whats a Poussion ? Anya spuds ? You should be on telly !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

four18 wrote: »
    Ignore my ignorance but whats a Poussion ? Anya spuds ? You should be on telly !!

A poussin is a small/young chicken. They're great with a spice rub, spatchcocked and done on the barbie. You've got me on the anya spuds, though... *runs off to google*

Back on-topic, last night consisted of a Lemsip and an early night, as I'm smothered :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

linda mcCarthy vegan sausage rolls and chips

have an experiment in the slow cooker, it was ment to be mongolian beef, but the beef i had in the fridge didnt smell right so into the bin it went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I marinated some chicken in brine, garlic, lime juice and chilli and grilled it. Ate it with pittas and mange tout. :D

I also made shortbread, but I made an mess of it, it's really dry and crumbely.
    I guess I got the ratios of flour to fat wrong. :(
    It's tasty crumbles though! Can't imagine what I will do with a tray of crumbled shortbread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

reallyrose wrote: »
    Can't imagine what I will do with a tray of crumbled shortbread.

You could turn it into the base of a cheesecake?

Last night was battered plaice, mushy peas, roast baby potatoes and rocket.

Tonight was fillet steak cooked medium rare, potato wedges, roast balsamic red onions and rocket.

Tomorrow will be spaghetti and meatballs with fresh ciabatta :)

Anya is a type of salad potato, finger thick and a bit knobbly. Nice nutty flavour. Tonight we had a risotto of smoked haddock with jerusalem artichoke puree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Made an absolute killing in Tesco today in the reduced section, gonna be eating like kings for weeks! :)

Today we had pork chow mein, it was alright, the noodles were lovely though, stir fried them with soy sauce after they were cooked.

Sticky toffee cake with sultanas and prunes for dessert, made some toffee sauce and put some whipped cream on top when it was warm from the oven, yum!

Salmon fillet with lemon juice and black pepper, spinach and creamy mashed potato. YUM

Last night we had smoked mackerel pate with crudites, chicken and lentil curry with brown rice and a baked apple with frozen yoghurt.

Last night we had smoked mackerel pate with crudites, chicken and lentil curry with brown rice and a baked apple with frozen yoghurt.

can I come and live at your house??:pac::p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Chicken curry.
    Hmmmmm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement