Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Today I made Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon as per this recipe. It was sensational.

The only thing I did differently to Julia was add two teaspoons of sugar and, next time, I will take out the shallots. I guess I just don't like them whole. I also used only 200g of mushrooms because that was all I had and the shop was out of them. Oh, and I used rashers of bacon and not a joint.

Also, I skipped the step where you sieve the sauce and skim off the fat. My meat was fairly lean so I didn't see the point in this.

So I suppose I made a few changes but essentially it was the same dish. It had the same heart. And it really was a glorious, comforting winter's dinner, with lots left for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Just in the door from training, too hungry to grab anything else so it was a pretty simple marinated pork tenderloin covered in cayenne pepper and black pepper..

Tasted ALOT better than it looks trust me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Tonight was baked haddock topped with herby/lemon breadcrumbing, used a garlic/mayo mixture to "stick" it to the fish, had with some roasted cherry tomatoes, roasted baby spuds, and a lovely creamy/leek sauce made with white wine and some lemon zest/juice too. Was delicious but probably left the fish in a minute too long. Been too long without fish, always end up sticking with chicken/pork/beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Boilermaker chili. That's beer chili, to you and me, but boilermaker sounds fancier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Jerk chicken with rice and peas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

something involving lamb chops:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm going to have a roast butternut squash and bacon risotto, I think. Mmm, comforting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I made cheese-stuffed-burgers and they were a disaster. :(
    They refused to cook in the middle, while burning on the outside and then fell to bits.

I followed this recipe to the dot!: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bacon-onion-and-cheese-stuffed-burger-recipe/index.html

I was cooking dinner for my boyfriend and the poor guy arrived to my flat to find it full of smoke containing a shrieking harridan shouting at the cooker. :pac:
    Bless him, he very stoutly said that the mis-shapen lumps were very nice.

It's my first total disaster in ages, very depressing. But it's all a learning experiance. I think the burgers were too thick, I didn't flatten the two pattys enough before putting them together with the filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

reallyrose wrote: »
    It's my first total disaster in ages, very depressing. But it's all a learning experiance. I think the burgers were too thick, I didn't flatten the two pattys enough before putting them together with the filling.

Possibly too thick all right, as well maybe giving them a go on the pan for a couple minutes each side and then finish in the oven would've been worth a shot, that's generally how i do my burgers because i like to do them on a high heat each side first, kinda of similar to steaks.

Ah well though as you say it's all a learning experience and now you now!

Seeing as i'm here, had a kind of spag bol tonight, was just what i was in the mood for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Grilled quails with chilli salt, udon noodles with mushrooms and cauli in oyster sauce.

• Advertisement

steak tonight, with some homemade wedges:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My first ever attempt at quiche

4 eggs (I used duck eggs)
    250ml cream
    125ml milk
    1 pack baby spinach, washed and chopped
    6 good sized mushrooms, chopped

My shop bought pastry was so dry it disintigrated, so I scoured the internet for an alternative (was out of white flour and eggs). Found one made with mashed potato and brown flour, so I made that, then I realised that it wasn't just brown flour, it was soda bread flour. So that went in the bin. Then I greased a dish and cooked it like a fritatta.

It was very tasty, but I think next time I'd reverse the quantities of milk and cream, it's very, very rich. So much so that although it's delicious it's kind of unpleasent.

Lamb and roasted root veg was on the cards tonight but being an avid lamb loather I just stuck to the veg. Slapped a bit of cayenne and black pepper on them. Happy out.

(FYI, it's not burnt, just caramelised :o )

Went for a late lunch in the Ballymore Inn yesterday - bliss, as always.

Started with celeriac & bacon soup, with lashings of their homemade sourdough, followed by a spinach, serrano ham & asiago pizza. God, I love that place, although I am mourning the removal of their Greek lamb pizza from the menu :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dumpling weighted veg broth.

Mussels in white wine, grilled sardines, sourdough sticks, cheeseboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭SarahMs

A 'made up' Beef Stroganoff recipe, boiled rice and roasted veg (sweet potato, carrots, peppers and courgette)

Chicken and Bacon wrap with saute potatoes

ChickenandBaconwithfriedpotato.jpg

meatballs and rice tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Sausie sambos :)

• Advertisement

One slice of a mega-wheel pizza from Mizzoni's. Had spent the entire afternoon grazing on nuts & Pringles, so by the time the bloody pizza arrived, I wasn't hungry anymore.

Last night we had braised short ribs with potatoes, cauliflower puree and a red wine sauce. Very rich, much like oxtail. So I stripped the remaining ribs and made a ragu out of the meat.

rasher sambo, forgot to take meat out of the freezer last nigh:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Cooked a thai prawn curry for myself and my boyfriend instead of getting a chinese.

It was gorgeous and I didn't feel bloated after :p We both licked our plates! :D Before you try it you should read the comments below the recipe though. I put in less chopped tomatoes, some peppers and more curry paste.

Heres the link :Dhttp://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7418/easy-thai-prawn-curry

Cod and chips from the chipper :) (they ain't cheap are they? I remember when you could get chips and a sausage for 30p)

Ended up baking while everyone was eating so I had some brownies and I peeled the skin off a baked potato! (I hate the insides of baked potatoes, skin is dreamy when all crispy!)

Dinner in the pic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I had Chicago town pizza :p I was too lazy to cook something big and they were on special offer in Tesco :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Last night, had pork chops. Was sick of pork and apple sauce combo so tried to asian it up a bit.

Marinated the chops in ginger and grilled, topped with pineapple and cucumber chunks in a sweet chilli sauce. Served with ginger and chilli stirfried veg and basmati rice.

Was really really nice. The pineapple and pork was gorgeous and will definitely be repeated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yesterday we had a Chinese New Year party at our house.

Chinese food all day long.
    We made lor mai kai which went down a treat and had various stir frys with turkey leg, beef, prawns and vegetables.
    Also had some shop bought dim sum.

Twas all great and all prepared on the day by Mrs beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yesterday we had a Chinese New Year party at our house.

Chinese food all day long.
    We made lor mai kai which went down a treat and had various stir frys with turkey leg, beef, prawns and vegetables.
    Also had some shop bought dim sum.

Oh yum! I love lor mai kai!
    Must yum cha this weekend...:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement