Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Yummy fillet of Wild Salmon I actually got it the freezer in Lidl. Difference in taste of Wild and farmed salmon is really something. Poached it, then served on a bed of stir fried Chinese cabbage leaves with garlic, onions and a mange tout. Delish :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had my birthday dinner with my parents in Annie's Gastropub in Sunday's Well, Cork this evening. It's my favourite restaurant in Cork, and the menu changes daily to reflect what's available fresh.

So tonight, I started with kind of spicy prawns with couscous. My main was a wonderfully pink rack of lamb with potato dauphinoise and a redcurrant and something I've forgotten sauce. I finished it all off with hot chocolate fondant with vanilla ice-cream. It was delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Faith wrote: »
    I had my birthday dinner with my parents in Annie's Gastropub in Sunday's Well, Cork this evening. It's my favourite restaurant in Cork, and the menu changes daily to reflect what's available fresh.

So tonight, I started with kind of spicy prawns with couscous. My main was a wonderfully pink rack of lamb with potato dauphinoise and a redcurrant and something I've forgotten sauce. I finished it all off with hot chocolate fondant with vanilla ice-cream. It was delicious!

Ohh i ate there before christmas and had the rack of lamb too, amazing! So so pricey though, overall :eek:

Tonight I had salmon and fried potato slices with salsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight we had lovely friends over so I made a little bit of an effort.

To start, we had home-breaded baked goat's cheese with a salad of rocket, baby spinach and bacon, dressed with a raspberry and balsamic vinaigrette.

The main was salmon with a pesto crust, a garlicky lazy-man's potato gratin and some steamed green veg.

Dessert was shots of lemon posset, chocolate nut brownies and vanilla ice cream.

Plus a lot of wine. A lovely dinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Faith wrote: »
    Annie's Gastropub
    I've been meaning to go there for nearly two years at this stage!

On topic, Baxters Chicken broth spiked with Tabasco :) Good for colds and, apparently, migraines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Fajitas with homemade fajita mix. I think I'll start the pulled pork from the cooking club today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Low Calorie pizza;

Pizza being one of my favorite things to eat still; but being on a strict diet it rarely passes my mouth no more but I tried this the other night quite tAstey and with around ~400 calories a 'Pizza' it won't throw you off too much.

Regular large Flout tortilla, 180cal
    Tomato pasta sauce (1/6th jar) 30cal
    60g Weight watchers cheese, (just a sprinkle) 100cal
    Rub a bit of olive oil around the tortilla ~30cal
    Jalapeño peppers, Sundried tomatoes ~50cal
    Chilli Flakes

Seriously tasty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I got a kebab and chip last night. The kebab was tiny and asked for it without lettuce,but alas,it came :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yesterday was my birthday, so I had birthday cake for dinner :D:D. The meal of kings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Frohes Geburtstag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had pan fried fillets of sea bass with mashed potato, creamed leeks and beurre blanc sauce with tarragon. As lovely as it was, I feel the lightness of the fish is wasted with the addition of so much dairy. I need an alternative to dairy sauces for fish - something like the lemon sauce Aggi Sverrisson did a couple of Saturdays ago in Saturday kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Today I made roasted carrots, parsnips, turnips and potatoes, brussel sprouts with maple glazed bacon along with pork fillets marinated in brown sugar, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and garlic.

It was a right feast! Didn't get a picture as I was far too busy inhaling it, but it looked lovely! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had a pilaf of camargue red rice with pumpkin seeds, chopped almonds and freshed herbs with grilled boneless chicken thighs and a lemon and agave nectar sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One packet of noodles with sachet of "chicken" flavour stuff :( (I was going to shop today but decided as I couldn't go to the post office to pay a bill I'd leave it until tonorrow and do it all in one go, the cupboards are now truly empty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Haggis pie. Cottage pie with a haggis mixed in. Yum. I usually use gravy, but I think I'll use a thickened stock next time I make it cos the taste of the haggis was a bit overwhelmed.

And I had the leftovers for lunch today with a salad of baby gem, brocolli shoots, tomato and sweetcorn. Nomnomnom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Chicken stir-fry with ginger-garlic-chilli.
    It was lovely, but maybe not enough sauce. It ended up more like marinated chicken and veg with the noodles holding a hint of sauce.
    Nom, I'll make it again, but maybe more sauce. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kildaregirl

Hi All
    I had homemade Chicken pie, with puff pastry topping, homemade potatoes wedges, flavoured with garlic and herbs,, yum yum,, followed by home made bannana and choc muffins, topped with Icing sugar, with vanilla flavoured Icecream, grabs coat off for a 5 mile walk.:)

Sorry I couldn't hear you! :p

Superquinn sausages in chicken gravy with carotts and something green. very nic .

Last night was the pulled pork from the Cooking Club. At the risk of being controversial, it didn't exactly rock my world. It was perfectly nice, but not worth the 3-day investment, imo.

Lasagna from scratch for Valentines dinner.
    It was absolutely gorgeous, even if I do say so myself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Lornen wrote: »
    Lasagna from scratch for Valentines dinner.
    It was absolutely gorgeous, even if I do say so myself :pac:

That looks great, how exactly did you make it?!

Steak with pepper sauce, creamed spinach, garlic hassleback spuds and honey roast parsnips;

cimg4225.jpg

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    That looks great, how exactly did you make it?!

Steak with pepper sauce, creamed spinach, garlic hassleback spuds and honey roast parsnips;

cimg4225.jpg

I used a pork/beef mixture mince-wise, loads of fresh parsely and basil, good quality tinned tomatoes and lasagna sheets, authentic Italian Ricotta and mounds of mozzarella cheese :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Lornen wrote: »
    I used a pork/beef mixture mince-wise, loads of fresh parsely and basil, good quality tinned tomatoes and lasagna sheets, authentic Italian Ricotta and mounds of mozzarella cheese :pac:

Ah ok, it was the white layer that really interested me, obviously the ricotta? Looks lovely anyway.

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Ah ok, it was the white layer that really interested me, obviously the ricotta? Looks lovely anyway.

Ricotta, 1 egg, shredded mozzarella to make it stringy and some parmesan thrown in. Also put 4 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley :)

Thank you for le compliment!

Beef mince and mushroom pie, made too much gravy and ended up with soggy pastry, still I'll know better next time. Tasted fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Salmon steak with creamy sunblushed tomato sauce, with caprese salad and a bit of green salad.

I really impressed myself with my caprese salad, so simple, so good

Gnocchi bake with an obscene amount of parmesan.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Dhal, naans and left over roast beef dry fried with Indian spices & mushrooms with diced tomato and scallion stirred through at the end. Plenty of yoghurt at the table.

Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Headed down to the pub for a feed and a few pints of Guinness. Chicken wings followed by a steak sandwich with fried onions and chips,doesn't get much better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Last night I made a sandwich that I have been dying to recreate for years, used to be on the menu in a grilled sandwich place I worked in in Toronto, sandwich was called the Old School. Could never make it because I needed Havarti cheese but my ace of a boyfriend bought me some in Amsterdam a few days ago specifically for this :)

Sesame bread (long soft type), garlic mayo, Havarti, chicken, green peppers, red onion, thousand island dressing, hot sauce, into grill pan until both sides sound hollow, YUM!

Delighted with my cheese :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement