Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What's Havarti like Spadina?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It's nice, quite a harmless cheese, not a very strong flavour but lovely. The cheeses we used in the sandwich place were provolone, cheddar, havarti and swiss, and it was always my favourite for grilled sandwiches, not stringy like the provolone and sliced quite thinly it gives just the right amount of cheese and flavour without being too strong like the cheddar.
    We used to do some strange wrap/sandwich combos so I thought it worked best with strong flavours like Russian Beets, hummus, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havarti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Fish fingers on toast with an easi-single and a generous helping of FRANK'S RedHot Sauce. :):)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Red wine beef stew served in a loaf of ale bread

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70751269&postcount=16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Vodkat wrote: »
    Had Jamie Olivers Chicken pie.... Was amazing! Never tasted a pie like it before.
    1h7yn4.jpg

Which recipe book is that from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Last night - greasy old scampi and chips in the pub. And a slurp of Himself's stout which was the best bit of the whole meal. (Am expecting and only allowed the odd slurp) But they gave the child a bowl of mashed potatoes with a ladle of soup over it. That was gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jammi

Just after seeing that that website for Masterchef Ireland has gone live. Doesn't look too shabby, but not what we thought it was.

www.masterchef.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Spadina wrote: »
    too strong like the cheddar.

Blasphemer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I made fajitas for dinner tonight :p

184788_10150105746012259_833992258_6214838_702294_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fiacc

Butternut Squash, Gorgonzola and pancetta pie.. Yummy! :)
    DSC_3559.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Buckwheat spiked with black pepper, lemon juice and hot sauce with some pork tenderloin that was marinated in some honey, brown sugar, lemon juice and cayenne pepper.

The glaze was gorgeous. My mother is an actual saint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I baked a portobello mushroom topped with feta, cherry tomato and parsley.

Some chicken breast cooked in a creamy white wine sauce

And a salad of watercress, rocket and baby spinach with a pesto-y balsamic vinegar dressing and some crumbled feta.

(Guess who had to finish the feta today!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Lornen wrote: »
    Buckwheat spiked with black pepper, lemon juice and hot sauce with some pork tenderloin that was marinated in some honey, brown sugar, lemon juice and cayenne pepper.

The glaze was gorgeous. My mother is an actual saint.

Lornen, would you please give us a quick run through preparing the buckwheat. I have a bag of it in the cupboard, but have never used it before.

Minder wrote: »
    Lornen, would you please give us a quick run through preparing the buckwheat. I have a bag of it in the cupboard, but have never used it before.

Hey, I have never used it before but what I did was prepared it like I usually prepare couscous.. I did wing it however. I measured out 60g of the bulgar wheat, tossed it into a pan and put cayenne pepper and black pepper in on top of it. Then I added boiling hot water, I didn't measure it, but it was about an inch over the level of the bulgar wheat. I then stirred it on medium heat until the water was absorbed. Then I mixed in some lemon juice and some hot sauce, only a pinch of either though. There it is! Easy peasy and alot more hearty than couscous. I didn't feel the need for a stock or anything with the bulgar wheat. It doesn't have loads of flavour, but it's alot more pleasant than plain couscous. If you got some marinated meat and shredded it, as well as roasted off a few cashews and threw in some sultanas I'd say you'd get a pretty sweet biryani style dish, spice it up to your taste!

Hope that helps somewhat. :)

EDIT: I'd recommend you don't stray from the bulgar wheat and stir it alot. I turned my back on it for a few seconds and some bits stuck to the bottom of my pot, temp was as low as it could go too. So I'm not really sure what I was doing wrong. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to make anyway.

Confused. Was it bulgar or buckwheat?

Minder wrote: »
    Confused. Was it bulgar or buckwheat?

AH. You got me. I always confuse the two and it seems I have done it again, I was using bulgar wheat not buck wheat, buck wheat different all together! Totally my bad. :o
    I think buckwheat takes a little more water and a little more time than bulgar wheat, but they can be substituted in place for one another in alot of recipes so, I don't think the cooking would differ too much to bulgar wheat cooking.

Sorry again for my slip up! :o

No bother!

The buckwheat in my cupboard looks at me with deep resentment every time I ignore it in favour of some other carb. Maybe one day...

Dinner tonight was poussin with lemon, asparagus and sweetcorn, sweetcorn polenta and a pistachio paste. The paste was made with orange zest - I only had seville oranges (also had raw garlic in it). My mouht feels like its made of sherbet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight my mate was cooking and we had was stuffed and rolled leg of lamb, honey and mustard sausages, roasted garlic mushrooms, roast potatoes, steamed carrots and gravy. Lemon drizzle cake and banoffee for dessert (I made those).

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Fiacc that looks lovely!

Had some 'what's in the house' dinner that probably turned out to be a moroccan type dish. Mince spiced with cumin, coriander, cinnamon and paprika and cooked with some onions, red sweet pepper and apricots. Had it with some ginger/mint cous-cous. Topped with some toasted flaked almonds. Was quite nice.

moroccanspicedmincewith.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Chicken fajitas, no pic because it looked like a food massacre, my presentation was a bit shiiiite. Crammed two tomatoes into it.

Plenty of sour cream. Nyom, nyom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Taglitelli (sp!) with Salmon in cream and grated cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

short crust pastry topped with goats cheese, some ham and ballymaloe relish:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Tonight we had homemade beef burgers with mushrooms and pepper sauce and creamy mashed potato. Was so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Nutella .. with a spoon! \o/

I didn't have a good day. -_-

A big ribeye split two ways, boiled spuds and purple sprouting broccoli with a chilli and anchovy sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Pork and leek sausage with spiced lentils made with leeks and pepper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pork chops in a tomato sauce, with rice. Not bad, but the chops were a little dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

having a mix mash tonight of chickpeas, kidney beans, sweet potatoe, carrots, peppers, onions and red lentils. all mixed together with either red thai curry paste or madras paste and coconut milk. nom nom nom...i hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

last night was lardons, chicken and mushrooms in a tomato and basily, oregano-ey sauce and fresh egg taglietelle and the cheesiest garlic-iest bread I could make.

Still waiting for inspiration for tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I had scrambled eggs and toast last night after my run! Was lovely and tasty!

Trying to decide what I want for dinner tonight.....I'm getting quite hungry!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement