Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I live in Kent - made a day trip to Calais on Friday. Took a 50ltr coolbox in the car and filled up on lots of interesting meat & birds. The bunnies come complete. They have been skinned and cleaned, but the head is included in the pack.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Minder wrote: »
    . Took a 50ltr coolbox in the car and filled up on lots of interesting meat & birds. (
    Well, what else did you get?

:)

Leffe - lots of leffe
    Confit of duck
    Cassoulet
    Coquelet jaune - a small cornfed poussin
    Quail - these also come plucked & cleaned but with the head attached
    Pigs trotters
    Duck breast
    Meurguez sausages
    Soup de poisson
    Tiger prawns
    Scallops
    Beef shin with the bone in
    Marrow bones - cut into discs
    Selection of cheeses
    Garlic, onions & shallots
    Bunnies
    Couple of seabass
    and a couple of cases of red wine from a warehouse called Franglais

A veritable feast!

What are :

Meurguez sausages

a north african spicy sausage made from lamb - grill and eat wrapped in a flat bread

• Advertisement

Wow, sounds delish.

I love non-pork sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cassoulet? How cassoulet? Tinned? Fresh and packaged? A make-yer-own base? Am I thinking of the right thing, cassoulet the mixed meat and bean stew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meanwhile I had spuds, eggs and beans. Not very French.

Mike.

Cassoulet? How cassoulet? Tinned? Fresh and packaged? A make-yer-own base? Am I thinking of the right thing, cassoulet the mixed meat and bean stew?

Tinned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had spag bol. Trés itallienne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

a north african spicy sausage made from lamb - grill and eat wrapped in a flat bread

Can also be made from beef, or a mix of beef and lamb.

We often use them for a "build your own" dinner, consisting of grilled/griddled merguez, shredded white cabbage, onion, tomato, ceberg lettuce, garlic sauce (yoghurt based), harissa, and pitta breads.

For dinner, last night, I had beef stroganof...the remains of which I'm currently polishing off as my lunch.

Moules marinere

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can't remember the last time I had a proper meal. Stupid exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Faith wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I had a proper meal. Stupid exams.

I hear ya! I actually forgot to have dinner last night with the stress of exams! I ended up eating 4 smarties bars and woke up starving. I couldn't even eat when I got up because I'd get sick, plus I had to take a bus to my exam, which also makes me sick, especially on an empty stomach!

Tonight, sadly, it will be mac and cheese again. I basically live on the stuff because I always have the ingredients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My Husband decided to cook last night as I was too hungerover to be bothered.
    He went down to the shops and bought two packets of kievs and a pizza.

He handed me a plate with two kievs on it a spoon of beans, which I only managed to eat one of (jaysus they are muck)

The daughter and son aged 8 & 1 shared a pizza.

I dont like when he cooks it is always crap. But I told him it was gorgeous and said well done to him...

Going out to lemongrass for my dinner tonight with my friend. Will have to cook him and the kids something good to eat before they get scurvy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Went home to the mammy last night and had stuffed loin of pork, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, carrot and parsnip mash and brussel sprouts.... Beautiful!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Had dinner out last night at Eden. Wonderful wild mallard, it was delicious.

The night before I cooked T-Bones with chopped mushrooms and garlic.

Couple of nights ago had utterly lush supper - medium rare t-bone steak, cooked on the griddle, with home-made fried potato slices done in the wok which worked a treat, and a fried egg on top of the steak - the eggs were fresh from the chickens that day. Gave a nod to healthy eating through inclusion of a couple of lettuce leaves, a sliced tomato and a sliced raw onion on the side. (And yes, I was tasting raw onion for about two days, but it was worth it.)

There's fillet steak on half price special in the Fresh shop beside me, so I got some of that last night. Was absolultely gorgeous, melt in the mouth nice.

Had it with mashed spuds, onions and mushies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Diet out the window in spectacular form the last four nights!

Friday night was my SO's birthday so we had classic Chinese food with friends in our local fave Chinese restaurant - deep fried shredded salt and chilli chicken followed by fruity chilli beef and rice, a hunk of birthday cake and a lot of Chinese beer!

Sat night we were wrecked and ordered in chicken and chips from our local chipper. Classy!

Sunday night his mammy fed us for his second birthday celebration...mushroom and cheese souffles, individual beef wellingtons stuffed with spinach and shallots, mash and carrots, washed down with wine and followed by home-made berry cheesecake and chocolate gateaux. Yow!

Last night we were treated by a dear friend to dinner in Eden where I scoffed goats cheese wrapped in parma ham with rocket and toasted almonds, followed by fillet steak, bernaise sauce, green beans and chips (and a bottle of delicious red). I had some cheese, chutney and fruit after while my husband had a spicy chocolate fruit souffle and almond chocolate ice cream.

I'm surprised my jeans still fit. It's salad today!!

Well I never got my dinner in lemon grass last night,

I had to endure the husbands cooking again, He had bought steak burgers in the butchers, He boiled some potatoes in a pot and a scoop of beans. The adventurous Man he is!!

I ended up getting up from the table four times during dinner, Twice to get drinks for the childer, once to answer the phone and another time to answer the door, Those feckin kleenex magazines are driving me mad!!

Lamb curry - the Murmuz Khan recipe from Rick Stein's book. Made it the day before and the flavour was excellent.

Ham, eggs and chips. Simple and stomach filling.

Had to work late last night, Got home & stuck on a Marks and spencers cumberland pie for us. It was lovely, didnt have anything else with it.

The husband wanted beans again, what is wrong with him!!!

Tonight is gonna be good thought, Just back from the butchers!! WOOO HHHOOOOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I had my first proper meal in over a week today. Had an exam in the morning so we headed back to college for breaded chicken and veg, and then I had a lovely steak sandwich later in the evening. I think this is the reason why I'm still able to spell despite the drunkenness!

I cooked last night HOORAY

We had Roast Potatoes, Parsnips Roasted in Honey & Thyme, Petit Pois and Stuffed Pork Chops roasted in the oven,

There wasnt a baked bean in sight, It was delicious.

Kids were good during dinner, apart from the baby playing football with his fingers and the peas!!

Quality wrote: »
    Stuffed Pork Chops roasted in the oven

Sounds interesting - what were the chops stuffed with?

Sounds interesting - what were the chops stuffed with?

They were stuffed with a parsley and thyme and onion stuffing!!

They were extra thick pork chops cut down the middle stuffed and held together with string, I roasted them in the oven!!!

HEy perfecto!!

• Advertisement

Chicken Stir fry & basmati rice

Easy to cook, and the kids were happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement