Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

A very unusual but tasty sausage bake from Good Food magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Homemade pizzas (ok, well, those just roll-it pastry things), with tomato sauce, mozzarella, chorizo, mushrooms, and onions... and a slice of homemade cheescake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,591 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Garlic and chilli Kangaroo Stir Fry

sorry so pics, but was savage

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

Mellor wrote: »
    Garlic and chilli Kangaroo Stir Fry

sorry so pics, but was savage

fantastic. what a great sounding meal. are you in oz or did you get it in ireland? fresh kangaroo meat or were you eating out?

Downey's butchers in Terenure does fresh kangaroo. They also do crocodile, ostrich and the world's best wild boar sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Lamb Tagine, had it with mash, been having too much cous-cous lately! Was delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Had a beef curry with basmati rice. Also made some potato wedges with basil and they were really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rather basic stuff this week..last night was two quarter pounders with mushrooms, onions, peas and chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mushroom and courgette stronganoff-ish dish with basmati. Delicious considering it was 'raid the back of the fridge' dish :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Just made some chicken and quinoa!

Made a quick marinade for the chicken using turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, chilli flakes, habenero hot sauce and lemon juice.

Quinoa got slapped with a hefty shake of hot curry powder and chilli powder.

Had a few spicy olives with it too, but ended up eating them before everything was ready! :pac:

Loads of freshly ground black pepper over the lot and then down the hatch!

Nice tingle in my mouth going on right now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made my first stab at beef Wellington! I used Gordon Ramsay's recipe in the end because I didn't have huge amounts of time. It was really delicious! Sadly my parents like their meat quite well done, so in an effort to cater for them, the beef ended up a little tough. But I'll definitely make it again!

Faith wrote: »
    I made my first stab at beef Wellington! I used Gordon Ramsay's recipe in the end because I didn't have huge amounts of time. It was really delicious! Sadly my parents like their meat quite well done, so in an effort to cater for them, the beef ended up a little tough. But I'll definitely make it again!

I'd say your heart is broken having to leave the meat past it's prime. :(
    Fair play though! Beef Wellington is a tricky dish to prepare by the looks of things.

Lornen wrote: »
    I'd say your heart is broken having to leave the meat past it's prime. :(
    Fair play though! Beef Wellington is a tricky dish to prepare by the looks of things.

Stop! The best fecking beef you can get in Cork, and I'd to cook the bejaysus out of it. Well, okay, it was medium-well, but still, cooked way more than I'd like it!

It's really not that tricky, it's just time-consuming. It takes a couple of hours from start to finish.

Faith wrote: »
    Stop! The best fecking beef you can get in Cork, and I'd to cook the bejaysus out of it. Well, okay, it was medium-well, but still, cooked way more than I'd like it!

It's really not that tricky, it's just time-consuming. It takes a couple of hours from start to finish.

Did you use the crepe to keep your pastry from going soggy?

Always see Ramsay losing his knickers on Hell's Kitchen when they puck that one up so I've always been terrified to try it!

Medium well isn't too bad. Some in my house need it to be like leather. The tougher the better it seems! Hence why we all just have seperate dinners! My mother eats her steak blue.. Literally falls into the pan and out after ten seconds!!

No, I used parma ham rather than crepes. I've seen recipes that use both, and some that use just one or the other. God, if you had to make crepes too you'd be there for days! :eek: This is the recipe I used in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was a tarragon roast chicken and a gratin of turnips, potato and sweet potato. The cream was infused with thyme and garlic, the gratin was topped with gruyere. I could not stop eating it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Had such a lazy dinner tonight 'cause neither myself or my boyfriend were in the mood to cook. Had fried egg, sunny side up with the yolk all runny. Made soldiers out of homemade brown bread, toasted and dipped it in. Baked beans and potato waffles. Zero effort but yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Novella sometimes those dinners are the best!

Last night was a bit late in so had spaghetti with a home-made spinach/basil/sun-dried tomato pesto, threw an egg into to make it a bit richer and of course freshly grated parmesan to top it off, hit the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was butternut squash dal with brown basmati rice.
    It's so tasty and extremely healthy so had another small bowl as a snack later on.

Tonight is going to be dal again but maybe with some grilled chicken thighs, spinach and some kind of rice again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

We had babotie, rice, salad and eton mess. Nom.

• Advertisement

Pot-roasted chicken with crusty bread for mopping up the jus. So good I'm making it again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

grilled chicken breast with homemade potato wedges and roasted carrots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Homemade burgers mmmmmmmmm:D

Roasted root vegetables with a lovely piece of god smothered in fresh lemon juice and ground black pepper. Amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Lornen wrote: »
    Roasted root vegetables with a lovely piece of god smothered in fresh lemon juice and ground black pepper. Amazing!

Sounds heavenly:D

We had home made fish and chips. Beer battered whiting fillets, chips and braised lettuce with peas.

Minder wrote: »
    Sounds heavenly:D

We had home made fish and chips. Beer battered whiting fillets, chips and braised lettuce with peas.

Secret's out! Body of Christ didn't disappear at all, my mum cooked him!

Tonight is going to be dal again but maybe with some grilled chicken thighs, spinach and some kind of rice again.

I took a pic!

Ended up being roast chicken legs and red cargo rice.

I dusted the chicken with Indian spices and added some wine and liquid from the dal into the pan when roasting giving a curryish, winey, chickeny jus that had us literally licking the pan!! (this is what you can see seeping from the rice).

[IMG][/img]resize_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

One of the kids is ill so took an easy option with one of those shake and season bags. Threw in some pork chops with chopped carrots, parsnipts, red onion and potato. Not too bad at all and ideal in the circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Boyfriend made yummy hot dogs :)

• Advertisement

Seems like ages since I've had a real 'cooking day' withh lots of time for leisurely cooking.

Have my brother and sister-in-law coming tonight so :

I have a huge organic chicken sitting in the fridge with lemon zest, thyme leaves, garlic seasoned butter massaged under the skin and the lemon, thyme stalks and garlic off-cuts in the cavity.
    I'm going to roast that with roast potatoes, carrots, beetroot, shallots and garlic, some fine green beans and lots of lemony, thymey white wine gravy.

To start I'm going to make Jerusalem artichoke and garlic soup with a garnish of seared scallop and brazil nut oil (and maybe a little twist of lemon).

Probably skip dessert and go straight to an Irish cheese board.

I have a bottle of white Priorat to start and have to pick a red for main.
    Edit: a 2005 Mercurey

I love days like this (and to think, I was going to go to the gym and be all under pressure later for time!!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement