Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Had a lovely freezer & cupboard dinner.

Simmered frozen prawns, frozen peas and noodles.
    Some garlic ginger chillis and diced red onion in ramekin. Couple of spoons of light soy, some sunflower oil. Microwave for 2 mins - delicious sauce. So quick too, and cheap when everything's Aldi brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Seems like ages since I've had a real 'cooking day' withh lots of time for leisurely cooking.

Have my brother and sister-in-law coming tonight so :

I have a huge organic chicken sitting in the fridge with lemon zest, thyme leaves, garlic seasoned butter massaged under the skin and the lemon, thyme stalks and garlic off-cuts in the cavity.
    I'm going to roast that with roast potatoes, carrots, beetroot, shallots and garlic, some fine green beans and lots of lemony, thymey white wine gravy.

To start I'm going to make Jerusalem artichoke and garlic soup with a garnish of seared scallop and brazil nut oil (and maybe a little twist of lemon).

Probably skip dessert and go straight to an Irish cheese board.

I have a bottle of white Priorat to start and have to pick a red for main.
    Edit: a 2005 Mercurey

I love days like this (and to think, I was going to go to the gym and be all under pressure later for time!!)

do you want to adopt me beer:D

im doing something with beef, carrots, rice and peas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I had chicken tetrazzini last night, love it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Mmmm roast lamb with yorkshire pudding, mashed parsnip and carrot, mushy peas and onion gravy.

I wish there were more Sundays in the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

All from scratch, Italian baked sausage in home made mushroom and veg ragu

I would love the recipe for this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight is going to be a mash topped chicken and sweetcorn pie from the leftovers of Saturday's roast chicken.

The chicken would have been big enough to feed at least 6 hungry people but was still lovely and tender. Not bad for €15, free range and pretty much organic but without the cert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Tonight is pan fried sole, sweet potato chips glazed in honey and soy, and stirfried onion, mushrooms and sugarsnap peas. they are already marinating in chilli, ginger and lemongrass.

I hope i haven't overdone all the flavours but im feeling a kind of thai asian fusiony feeling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Creamy pasta with salmon and brocolli (one serving)

30% creme fresh
    Tagliatelle pasta 4 "coils"
    One steak of salmon
    Two or three brocolli heads quartered
    Sliced quater of onion

Steam brocolli for 10 mins, boil and simmer pasta for 10 mins. (I use colander for steaming over pan of water)

At same time saute onion for 5 mins in a pan and then add half of the double cream pot, chopped up salmon and brocolli stir around until cream is runny, add brocolli. and cook at a very low heat for 5 mins. Heat your plate otherwise it'll go cold rather quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Tonight was chicken and smoky bacon in a cider/mustard sauce with mash and cabbage. Really tasty, could've done with more mustard maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Made lemon chicken on Sunday, double-roast pork belly on Monday. The lemon chicken is definitely dish-du-jour at the moment. Baked a loaf of sodabread as well, which went for breakfast and dinner for a couple of days.

Then spent three days looking for a chocolate cake recipe I wanted to bake, and coming up short. BAH.

• Advertisement

Made lemon chicken on Sunday, double-roast pork belly on Monday. The lemon chicken is definitely dish-du-jour at the moment. Baked a loaf of sodabread as well, which went for breakfast and dinner for a couple of days.

Then spent three days looking for a chocolate cake recipe I wanted to bake, and coming up short. BAH.

How do you do your lemon chicken?

something involving chiken and veg, havnt decided yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Tonight was chicken and smoky bacon in a cider/mustard sauce with mash and cabbage. Really tasty, could've done with more mustard maybe.

That sould lovely. Would you mind me asking how you did the sauce?
    Thanks you.

Miaireland wrote: »
    That sould lovely. Would you mind me asking how you did the sauce?
    Thanks you.

Sure, firstly apologies about amounts i'm not great with that, after browning off the chicken and removing, then did the bacon and onions in the pan, after a few minutes sprinkled in a couple tbsp of flour and stirred that in, then gradually added in maybe just over half a can of cider and then maybe 100 mls stock, stirring it in all the time and bring into the boil, should be thickened a bit, then add in tbsp or more of dijon, season and add in/pour over chicken and bang in the oven!

Tonight was Chili! Lovely, not too hot, and sprinkled with a nice smoked cheddar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Creamy pasta with salmon and brocolli (one serving)

30% creme fresh
    Tagliatelle pasta 4 "coils"
    One steak of salmon
    Two or three brocolli heads quartered
    Sliced quater of onion

Steam brocolli for 10 mins, boil and simmer pasta for 10 mins. (I use colander for steaming over pan of water)

At same time saute onion for 5 mins in a pan and then add half of the double cream pot, chopped up salmon and brocolli stir around until cream is runny, add brocolli. and cook at a very low heat for 5 mins. Heat your plate otherwise it'll go cold rather quickly.

Same again with added picture of same

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Tonight we had lamb koftas, with couscous, pitta and salad. Had no mint so stirred in a little jarred mint sauce in the yoghurt, was nice actually. Even though I'd say that mint sauce has been in the back of the fridge for over a year. Still, we're hardy divils. Even the baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night was pan fried strip loin with a very tasty stiry fry of shredded cabbage, snap peas, match stick carrots, peppers and bean sprouts!
    Twas good eating!

Today had an impromptu gathering so roasted a lambs leg with garlic, rosemary and lemon and served same with roast spud, mint carrots and brocolli. All went down very well. Did a basic started of smoked salmon on brown bread with lemon quarters (old ones are good ones!) and finished up with the an off the shelf apple tart

The remains of the lamb are calling me in a jalfrezi type tone so might not be able to hold out.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

How do you do your lemon chicken?

Allow one egg per chicken fillet.

You need
    Eggs
    Chicken fillets
    A light oil like peanut or sunflower

Chicken stock
    Soy Sauce
    Rice Wine / Dry Sherry
    Chili sauce
    Lemon juice
    Brown sugar

Cornflour

Rice noodles
    Cucumber

Basically you separate the eggwhites, discarding the yolks (I feed mine to the dog because I've never used them for custard, ever.)

Add one heaped teaspoon of cornflour to two eggwhites. Beat until frothy - not meringue stage, but thick and frothy.

Thinly slice the chicken fillets, and immerse the pieces in the beaten eggwhite and cornflour ensuring the pieces are well coated. Refrigerate for an hour.

For two large chicken fillets, I use the following proportions for sauce:

In a heatproof jug, mix 1/3 pint chicken stock with:

1 heaped tablespoon brown sugar
    two tablespoons rice wine / dry sherry
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    Chili sauce to taste - I use something like sambal oelek at about one heaped teaspoon - you want a little heat but nothing too vigorous.

You'll have about a half pint of brown liquid.

In a pan heat enough peanut oil to allow you to brown your chicken pieces.

Add each eggwhite-covered piece to the hot oil and brown on both sides, removing from the pan with a slotted spoon and draining on kitchen towel. Continue until all the chicken pieces are browned.

I use a non-stick pan, so I simply wipe the pan with kitchen towel and return to the heat, and pour the contents of the jug into the pan. It will froth and bubble. Allow it to cook for a minute to dissolve the sugar and take the rawness off the chili.

Return the browned chicken pieces to the pan. Allow to simmer for two minutes to cook them through (thin slices, remember?)

In a small dish, blend a heaped teaspoon of cornflour to a little cold water and mix to a paste. Make room in the centre of the pan and pour the cornflour into the simmering sauce, stirring as you pour. The cornflour will thicken the sauce up immediately.

You can let it simmer on a low heat for another minute or two after adding the cornflour to ensure it's cooked through and you should now have cooked chicken pieces in a light batter, in a thick, shiny, more-ish lemony sauce.

I find this works very well over cooked rice noodles tossed with a little seasame oil, a side of raw cucumber (batons or slivers or however you want it) with an optional wedge of lemon on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Striploin steak marinated in olive oil, roasted garlic, chilli flakes and black pepper. I fried off an onion aswell, love when it's super cripsy!

Chuffed with that. First time I've cooked my own steak to the exact way I wanted it. :)

gran made fish cakes with haddock and hake with mushrooms in it so had those with some peas and a little bit of mash

• Advertisement

Tonight was last night's left over roast chicken in a chicken, leek and bacon gratin i guess, topped with sliced spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon, roast rosemary and garlic cubed potatoes, buttered thyme carrots and some parmesan peas! Om nom nom! :)

Stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon, roast rosemary and garlic cubed potatoes, buttered thyme carrots and some parmesan peas! Om nom nom! :)

Sounds like my kind of food! What did you stuff the chicken with?

For ourselves tonight it was crumbed/branflaked chicken breast, stuffed with a chroizo/butter mixture and served on a chorizo/chickpea/spinach/tomato mixture, inspired by Saturday Kitchen there the other day, really pleased with the way it turned out.

bacon and pea risotto with half a chicken breast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Had 3 steak nights in a row.. Amazing.

Think I've some iron deficiency or something, sorting that out anyway! :pac:

Steak with shoe string crispy onion rings.

AMAZING. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Yesterday was a thai red chicken curry. Monday night we had a seafood platter of roast shrimp and scallops. Was fine but my oven was not hot enough to scorch the shrimp and the scallops needed a very hot pan to finish them. We also had some dabs - not much point as they were so small there was no flesh on them at all. New potatoes, asparagus and a bowl of tarragon butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Pasta with pesto and garlic bread, I made veg soup afterwards. Pics to follow! :D

Last night was spag bol! But for pretty much the first time, i did a long and slow bolognese, cooked it for around four hours, amazing, really delicious.

Haven't been on here in a bit but we have had some interesting dinners.

Last week we had a Beetroot, butternut squash and pea risotto.
    (I wouldn't put bn squash and beetroot together again - very sweet but a squeeze of lemon juice sorted that out)
    Still, twas very tasty and I love the colour of beetroot risotto.

There was lots left over so I fried it up in a cake - crispy risotto, lovely:D

We had friends over for Sunday lunch so we had:

Fennel, carrot and ginger slaw (flavoured with lemon juice, sesame oil and fish sauce) with smoked, peppered mackerel (Tesco).

For main we had boned, stuffed, roast turkey leg (traditional herb bread stuffing), roast potatoes, garlic, carrots, beetroot, shallots (I do like my roast veg) and peas.

Spiced fruit salad for desert.

Irish cheese board.

Tonight I'm having Shepherd's Pie made the only way it should be made and called Shepherd's Pie - with minced roast lamb. Untraditionally, Onion, celery, leek, carrot, beetroot, tomatoes, peas and sweetcorn fill it out. Left over gravy from the turkey makes up the liquid.

Ready now.......Yummy:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mackerel fillets on pan fried potatoes cubed. Served with a side salad of fennel, orange, hazelnuts and mixed leaves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement