Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Unbelievably nom dinner made from leftovers. Garlicky chicken reheated in a pan with some olive oil, new potatoes (again, leftovers from last night) chucked in and heated through, and then a few frozen peas (defrosted in the microwave) thrown in about 10 minutes before the end. Gorgeous, just fabulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭SarahMs

steak pieces cooked with a little EV olive oil and spices.
    roasted peppers,carrots,parsnips
    mushrooms in butter and crushed garlic
    baby new potatoes baked with cream,onions,cheese,garlic
    bottle of white

perfection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Some weeks ago I heard mention of an Indian spice rub/spice blend called vadouvan. Hadn't heard of it before so I had to try and lay my hands on some. Rarer than horse feathers, so I found a recipe and made a batch. Then promptly forgot about it. Until tonight.

Dinner was a supreme of guinea fowl with vadouvan in a creamy sauce. Basmati rice with roast sweetcorn, a sauce of white onion, garlic and lemon thyme, a raita and some cauliflower pakoras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

The crispiest crispy duck, duckfat roasties, creamy scallion mash, roast veg, gravy and redcurrant sauce. It was so so good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Made a really nice pasta salad last night with brown pasta, grilled cajun chicken, grilled crispy hickory smoked bacon, dry roasted peanuts and taco mayo which is basically mayo, mustard, garlic, lime juice and chipotles in adobo. Tasted amazing and will deffinitely make it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have a chicken and vegetable bake in the oven, which I shall serve with a side of mashed potatoes :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

liver fried with onion, mushroom and tomato & ballybrado brown bread

Crab curry, confit leg of guinea fowl, quinoa and a tomato and red onion salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Roast chicken! Got a chicken crown, put some butter and sage leaves under the skin and put it into the oven on top of salad potatoes and chopped carrots along with a little water. Foolproof deliciousness.

Made chicken soup from leftovers, going to freeze it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Faith wrote: »
    I have a chicken and vegetable bake in the oven, which I shall serve with a side of mashed potatoes :).

Recipe please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just used the normal chicken and broccoli bake recipe, and substituted broccoli for other vegetables because I don't like it :). This is the recipe I used: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55109391&postcount=3

The mash was incredible too. Used a ricer so it was super smooth. I finely chopped some onion and fried it off in loads of butter, then added a generous splash of cream, about two heaped tablespoons of dijonnaisse, thyme, salt & pepper. It was about a million calories per forkful, but it was incredibly tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Currently making a rabbit & black pudding pie. Never made one before, and I couldn't find any recipes online, so I'm hoping it works out. It's all put together, just needs about 2 hours in the oven and it's good to go. Smells pretty amazing, I'll put up a recipe when I'm done (and if it's nice!)

Some pics of it so far..

5781408960_4ccc09e4db_z.jpg

5780860839_64eea9ba00_z.jpg

5781409806_2b981a30f1_z.jpg

5781409536_225c3ae139_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Currently making a rabbit & black pudding pie. Never made one before, and I couldn't find any recipes online, so I'm hoping it works out. It's all put together, just needs about 2 hours in the oven and it's good to go. Smells pretty amazing, I'll put up a recipe when I'm done (and if it's nice!)

Having recently made a rabbit casserole with beer and mustard, I think that rabbit is going to be a regular feature of my cooking. The flavour was amazing (it was wild rabbit).
    I did find that the meat was a bit hard, though. Not sure if I need to cook it less or more - I'm going to try stewing it a bit longer next time.
    Also, if you remove the saddles, they are lovely floured and cooked quickly in the pan, medium rare.
    The carcass makes fantastic stock too.

I made a stock out of the carcass for this, was advised to use mushrooms and garlic in it, the smell was amazing. Cooking this quite slow, so hopefully it'll be tender. Only one way to find out though. Do you have the beer & mustard casserole handy? Sounds lovely.

505y87.jpg

Spicy marinated seabass with fragrant coconut rice and buttered asparagus.

The bunny pie turned out really really nice. Will definitely be making it again. The meat was really tender, far more tender than you'd get chicken. I ended up dropping the heat and cooking it for nearly an extra hour, but it was worth it.

If anyone wants to try it, ingredients were..

1 Whole rabbit
    2 Tblspn worchestershire sauce
    2 Tomatos
    Bacon lardons
    1 Large onion
    1 Tray of mushrooms
    1 Whole black pudding
    4 x Garlic cloves
    2 x Bay leaf
    Salt & Pepper
    Flour
    Jus Roll

Chop up your onion, mushrooms and bacon. Cut what meat you can from the rabbit and dust with flour. Fry the onions, mushrooms & bacon, put in a casserole dish, and seal the meat on the pan, then add to the dish.

After you've trimmed the meat from the rabbit, make a stock out of it, along with some mushrooms and garlic, strain the stock, and add the worchestershire sauce, chopped/crushed garlic, salt & pepper, chopped & skinned tomatos & bay leaf. You want this to be quite watery. Pour this into the casserole dish.

Leave to rest for an hour, then into the oven at 140 degree's for about 2 & 1/2 hours, giving it a few stirs to make sure nothing's burning up top or not fully cooked down below. Take it out, and put on your pastry top, cutting some holes. Pop it in for another 30-40 mins and it should be perfect.

Hope someone enjoys this! Photos from start to finish here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

505y87.jpg

Spicy marinated seabass with fragrant coconut rice and buttered asparagus.

Oh that looks delicious - any chance of the recipe :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Boojum last night. I really have to stop this. I go through phases of eating in one place every night for ages - enough to slightly freak the staff out - and then drop it as soon as I find another obsession. Govindas was teh last obsession. Now Boojum. 2 weeks and 10 burritos in Im thinking I might have a problem!

On the upside Im 16 days off teh cigs cold turkey. I told my self I could eat anything I wanted for the first two weeks and after that Id see how Im fixed.
    As an aside I find it cheaper to eat out during the week as Im single. anyone else find this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

birdseye baked to perfection prawns in sweet chilli sauce and soume couscous, quick easy and healthy

Lamb rack in hot pepper paste with sesame spinach and plain rice. Recipe courtesy of Nic Watt.

• Advertisement

Chicken burritto with rice, pinto beans, guac, sweetcorn salsa, cheese and sour cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

no dinner made when i went home lastnight and no meat to cook either:mad:
    so here's what i done

banged a couple chiabbatas in the oven
    chopped some peppers,garlic,onions,cherry tomatoes,
    cut some slices of pepperoni and chizaro
    chopped fresh basil
    cappers
    grated parmesan

lightly fry the pepperoni and chizaro for a few mins in some olive oil then add your veggies and fry for a few more minutes add the chopped basil and give it a good mix and fry for another 1-2mins
    cut the chiabbata in half place the fried mixture in top sprinkle with cappers and grated parmesan, enjoy:D

quick, simple and very tasty
    has an amazing taste of more off it:)

Oh that looks delicious - any chance of the recipe :)

This is the lazy man's response:

5btcvo.jpg

Enjoy. :)

Oh and 15mins does it nicely!

2ns5en7.jpg

Monkfish smeared with sundried tomato paste, wrapped in pancetta and baked, with rustic home-made chips. Yum, but I may have overcooked the monkfish slightly, as I had never done it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tagletelli/Salmon/Bocolli/fresh Creme/saute Onions

A flour pancake with marinated chicken, selected beans, fresh avocados, sweetcoen salsa, cheese and sour cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I made a stock out of the carcass for this, was advised to use mushrooms and garlic in it, the smell was amazing. Cooking this quite slow, so hopefully it'll be tender. Only one way to find out though. Do you have the beer & mustard casserole handy? Sounds lovely.

Don't have a recipe but:

I took the front and back legs off the rabbit and removed the saddle from each side of the spine.
    Floured and browned the legs in a pan, into a casserole.
    Browned some baby onions, into the casserole.
    Threw in some chunky pieces of carrot, some celery and leek, some thyme, bayleaf and a few peppercorns.
    In the pan I browned the stuff in, I added about a tablespoon of flour, cooked it for a bit and added a 50cl bottle of beer and a couple of tablespoons of Dijon mustard and poured this over the rabbit and veg and then into a low oven for 2+ hours.
    Meanwhile, I made some stock from the carcass, carrot, onion and celery, reduced it till really tasty and added this into the casserole.

Last minute, I floured and lightly fried the saddles, medium rare.
    Each person got a front leg, a back leg and a saddle (1 rabbit per 2 people).

I served it with chive mash, lightly boiled asparagus and chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.

Don't have a recipe but:

I took the front and back legs off the rabbit and removed the saddle from each side of the spine.
    Floured and browned the legs in a pan, into a casserole.
    Browned some baby onions, into the casserole.
    Threw in some chunky pieces of carrot, some celery and leek, some thyme, bayleaf and a few peppercorns.
    In the pan I browned the stuff in, I added about a tablespoon of flour, cooked it for a bit and added a 50cl bottle of beer and a couple of tablespoons of Dijon mustard and poured this over the rabbit and veg and then into a low oven for 2+ hours.
    Meanwhile, I made some stock from the carcass, carrot, onion and celery, reduced it till really tasty and added this into the casserole.

Last minute, I floured and lightly fried the saddles, medium rare.
    Each person got a front leg, a back leg and a saddle (1 rabbit per 2 people).

I served it with chive mash, lightly boiled asparagus and chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.

Thanks! Will be giving this a go on Tuesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Lemon honey chicken with colcannon on the side. Nyom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Tonight I had Neuro Praxis recipe of spicy marinated seabass (thanks Neuro!)

I cheated slightly as I had no star anise or lemongrass, but I just put a pinch of five spice powder into the marinade instead. It was very tasty. Served it with jasmine rice, and some carrot, string beans and tenderstem broccoli, stir fried with ginger and a splash of soy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement