Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Sparks wrote: »
    Kung Pau chicken and egg fried rice. All homemade from scratch, naturally.

Kung Pao Chicken:
    Take 2Tbsp hoi sin sauce, 2Tbsp rice vinegar, 1Tbsp soy sauce, mix to form a smooth sauce.
    Chop chicken to cubes, toss with 2Tbsp cornstarch and 1tsp salt.
    Chop two or three peppers down to small chunks (about 1-2cm to a side).
    Heat wok to very hot, then add 2-3Tbsp of peanut oil (Tesco finally selling this - as groundnut oil - in cheap enough 1L containers!) and let that heat right up to smoking, then immediately put the chicken in the wok. Lots of spitting so watch your eyes. Cook until it's all white or just going golden, then add the peppers. Continue to cook until the chicken is golden brown, then add the sauce and reduce heat to low and add some cashew nuts if you like them and maybe a little honey. Done.

Made this tonight, thanks for posting recipe. It was really tasty and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Had sweet and sour chicken made from scratch last night.

Very simple, quick and tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Mutton pies, ages since I had them, fab and wintry on this cold wet evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Chicken tikka masala, made with Patak's paste, tin of tomatoes and some coconut cream. Served with naan bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night we had free range loin pork chops, lightly cooked on the gas BBQ with freshly made ratatouille and rings of butternut squash also done on the BBQ.
    Scoffed the lot!!

Tonight is going to be an Irish stew made with a shoulder of mutton. Starter of tomato, basil and Irish buffalo mozzarella with apple balsamic vinegar and olive oil (Greek:().

An almost completely Irish meal - and a starter, midweek without guests!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Pork dopiaza and it was delicious! Although I may cut down on the salt the next time I make this recipe.

And raspberry & white chocolate muffins for desert :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

City Kitchen, chorizo and prawn pallea, forgot to go shopping yesterday so was the best of what the local tesco express had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Broccoli, stilton quiche that I made all by myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight, we had a very rare thing for us - a fry for dinner. Grilled sausages, rashers and pudding, with a fried egg, chips, buttered bread and tea. Fantastic.

Last night I had Brinner too! (breakfast for dinner). A thick cured rasher, fried mushrooms, beans and ciabatta toast. Nothing like it on a Friday after work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Did a take on this Salmon dish on Thursday evening;

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5925/onepan-salmon-with-roast-asparagus

Along with the asparagus I sliced some peppers, leeks and mushrooms too. Very, very tasty. Simple to prep, healthy and easy clean up afterwards!

Last night was grilled (! for me) Striploin steaks served with lemon asparagus. Some oven chips joined in the fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Visiting Madchef atm down in Achill. Have been in the kitchen more or less the last two days with her. I think, at this stage, I have eaten my own weight in food.

scampi - lots - plenty of lemon and a fine tartare sauce to go with. My fav food until tonight.
    Lamb cutlets - waiting on them as I type.
    Chips dipped in whatever is handy and tasty, mostly homemade gravy.
    Picking at my potato salad. Tasting for service obviously!
    Carbonarra - 4 portions at least.
    Of course garlic bread.
    Spooning in and out of the mix for the prawn and salmon spring rolls. Got slapped away alot.
    Many many bottles of Corona.

I love holidays at home! I love Madchef! She tolerates my presence and lets me cook too! xx

Visiting Madchef atm down in Achill. Have been in the kitchen more or less the last two days with her. I think, at this stage, I have eaten my own weight in food.

scampi - lots - plenty of lemon and a fine tartare sauce to go with. My fav food until tonight.
    Lamb cutlets - waiting on them as I type.
    Chips dipped in whatever is handy and tasty, mostly homemade gravy.
    Picking at my potato salad. Tasting for service obviously!
    Carbonarra - 4 portions at least.
    Of course garlic bread.
    Spooning in and out of the mix for the prawn and salmon spring rolls. Got slapped away alot.
    Many many bottles of Corona.

That all sounds divine! Im very jealous!

Tonight Iv eaten a ton of crackers w/ gorgonzola, olives and sundried toms. Less of a meal, more of a continuous picking since about 4pm

Tonight we ate out and it was a decent-ish Indian, but when I got home I made some soup with Delia's recipe method - 50g butter, 1 cup potato, 1 cup onion, 3 cups mixed veg, 4 cups light chicken stock, seasoning. A swirl of cream and some chopped chives to serve. This is the master recipe - you can adjust the "3 cups of mixed veg" to whatever you like. I also made her leek and potato soup, which is thick, rich and delicious. I'm freezing portions for work lunches. As a perpetual soup failure, I'm delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Starter was Celeriac Espuma with Ras-el-Hanout and pan fried scallops. Main was langoustines and scallops with linguine, and some large langoustines halved and grilled brushed with melted butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

May not be quite as fancy as the last post but it sure was very tasty..Ready made puff pastry, rolled out, put into a lightly oiled tray. Spread a layer of passata mixed with garlic, chilli flakes and garam masala. On top of that spread a mix of whatever you like. I had- yellow and red pepper, good quality rashers,onions, olives, tomatoes, cheese, coriander leaf and boiled sweetcorn added toward the end of cooking. This was all put into a moderate oven and coked. Oh my, it's so very nice. Areal treat as we got to sit outside with a cold beer, in the sun. Tasty. Obviously it's subject to taste!

Last night had rib eye steaks cooked rare on the (gas)BBQ.
    Mustardy, lemony salsa verde.
    Fried polenta cake.
    Some oven dried baby plum tomatoes with thyme and garlic.
    Had a rocket and mustard salad to go with it but never ate it.

Our favourite Rioja Crianza to go with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fried some Courgette, onion, leek, spinach, mushroom and pepper in a cheese and sour cream sauce last night, topped off with some grilled pork chops. Yummers! :D

May not be quite as fancy as the last post...

I should have posted spicy celeriac soup with three scallops and spaghetti with seafood. ;)

Last night we had fish pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Beef & Stout pie with a shortcrust pastry with honey & mustard. I used Dungarvan Brew Co's Black Rock Stout. Found it really good and strong, other stouts tend to lose flavour when they're being stewed in a pie, this held it together.

The honey & mustard on the pastry tasted real good, but didn't look too appetising :-/

5829053375_2e4553fc32_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Tonight was Chicken wings with Frank's Hotsauce and Ghee.
    Tabouleh, hummus, tzatziki (all homemade - we were given a load of flatleaf parsley).

So tasty!!:D

Thai green curry, yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Pav Bhaji and Indian spiced lamb mince with lashings of coriander, lemon juice and yoghurt squished into a pitta, possibly my favourite dinner and ridiculously healthy.

Cottage pie, steamed broccoli. Fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Saturday I did slow roast shoulder of lamb with a herb crust, roasted squash, carrots & parsnips spiced with cumin & coriander & a choice of spicy cous cous or baby new potatoes.

My local supermarket is selling New Zealand rack of lamb for 6 quid. I had to try some. They were very good. Vacpacked, but after a brief rinse in salty water and allowed a bit of breathing space, the lamb was ready to go.

I cooked a few thin slices of aubergine, some quinoa with pine nuts and linseeds, a puree of white onions, garlic and thyme and the lamb racks with vadouvan spice. Dessert was a raspberry sorbet with basil and a scoop of vanilla icecream. Fancy that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

I had a curry of sorts- lentils, chopped sweet potatoes and chopped apples in coconut milk and red curry paste with coriander. pretty good but needed fresh chilis for a real kick.

later i am probably going to make a frozen garlic bread pizza thing with some dominos garlic and herb dips which i love and always order extras for when i'm too broke to order pizza!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I had a curry of sorts- lentils, chopped sweet potatoes and chopped apples in coconut milk and red curry paste with coriander. pretty good but needed fresh chilis for a real kick.

later i am probably going to make a frozen garlic bread pizza thing with some dominos garlic and herb dips which i love and always order extras for when i'm too broke to order pizza!

When you have a five or six euro to spare, buy a big bag of strong white flour, a load of cans of chopped tomatoes, some oregano and garlic. It'll be enough for homemade pizza for a long time! Just spend a couple of euro on toppings on the day.

Have got a bit addicted to homemade pizza at the weekends - using Jamie Olivers recipe. For the sauce I use a recipe from boards which I can't find now. Basically heat up a saucepan, add olive oil, let it heat up - throw in can of tomatoes (may spit), bit of chopped garlic and some oregano, stir away for maybe ten minutes or so.

Anyway, on topic, dinner last night was homemade chicken szechuan with rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Made Donal Skehan's recipe of Chickpea and Tomato Pasta Soup. I used wholewheat Farfalle pasta instead of Conchigliette. It was delicious. Some leftovers too :)

5841734699_e64c285d74.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

made a quiche with cherry tomatoes, broccoli and mushrooms. reallly good with very buttery crust!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement