Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

duck with puy dhal (quorn chicken fillet for me)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1174639/partridge-with-puy-lentil-dhal

raspberries and pecan blondies with ice cream for dessert.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056157583

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Homemade pizza with chorizo, chillies, buffalo mozzarella, mushrooms and peppers - yummers if I do say so myself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Pasta bake with chiocken, brocolli and mushrooms topped with mixed cheeses.

Getting very much into juices now. MAde celery and apple on Friday and was surprised at how nice it was. Poured it over a ton of ice and hoovered it up through a straw. Very nice! Kept me full for ages too. Its the wayt o go with the weight loss I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just remember that juices haven't got half the nutritional value of eating the actual fruit or vegetable, particularly if you remove the skin first :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And it's a very fast way of consuming a lot of sugar.

• Advertisement

I didnt remove the skin, just gave 'em a wash and threw them in! Im getting bridgework replaced and Im paranoid about it so launching into an apple isint really an option until I get the work finished.

Sugar? In celery? I thoguth it was a negative calorie food? And apples are healthy?

What am I missing here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Celery is fine, but apples - and all fruit really - are very high in fructose, a natural sugar. I think it's now recommended that one only consumes 2 portions of fruit a day due to the sugar levels, and about 5 portions of vegetables. Juicing removes much of the fibre in the fruit and veg, and fruit in general is very high in calories.

But this isn't the Diet & Nutrition forum so I won't drag the thread off-topic and further :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I had a vague attempt at a homemade mezze platter last night (really I just had a unexpected guest so by mezze platter I mean just throwing a lot of bits of things on the table and hoping I get away with it).

It consisted of cold lemon roast chicken, tzatiki ala nigel slater, guacamole, olives, salad, and califlower rice. Also lashings of very cold white wine. really lovely summer dinner even if I do say so myself!

But this isn't the Diet & Nutrition forum so I won't drag the thread off-topic and further

Agreed.

To justify my post, tonight I am having spanish omlette. (translates as "clearing out the fridge of anything I can forage till I get to the shops, but I know theres a bit of red pepper in there somewhere" omlette)

To justify my post,

No need for that!!;);)

Tonight is a friends birthday so I'm doing one of the huge free range chickens we've been lucky enough to source. It's currently in the fridge absorbing the butter, lemon zest, thyme, garlic and Serrano ham that I made a paste of and pushed under the skin. I'll roast that with lots of cloves of garlic and some tomatoes (separately) and serve it with fried polenta and runner beans.

Maybe Mojitos to get the juices flowing first!

Have some mature Coolea and mature Hegarty's cheese for after (two of my current favourite cheeses!:D

Getting hungry thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

roasted some butternut squash with garlic, added butter and mashed with lots of black pepper, served with Youngs frozen chipchop style fish -it's lazy but it's realllly good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cracked it! Gnocchi is not something I've tried to make often - maybe because each time the results were less than satisfying. But I found a recipe in Bruce Poole's new cookbook and in a single sentence Bruce solved the mystery for me.

So tonights dinner was homemade potato gnocchi with baked tomatoes, cream, basil and parmesan. I also made a starter from the potato skins and served them with a bean dip, some salsa and some sour cream.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Minder wrote: »
    Cracked it! Gnocchi is not something I've tried to make often - maybe because each time the results were less than satisfying. But I found a recipe in Bruce Poole's new cookbook and in a single sentence Bruce solved the mystery for me.

So tonights dinner was homemade potato gnocchi with baked tomatoes, cream, basil and parmesan. I also made a starter from the potato skins and served them with a bean dip, some salsa and some sour cream.

ohhhhh - can you give me your Gnocchi recipe, i made it once and it was a complete diaster - pototes turned to glue

Minder wrote: »

Yeah, gnocchi can be very stodgy.
    I, too, would be interested in the secrets!
    What's in your bean dip, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I did this last night, there was a row over the last bit :D Thanks a million Neuro pra :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69935621

Pork chop recipe tonight.

Only found this place its great, thanks folks

Gnocchi - the secret might seem obvious, but as Bruce Poole writes in his cookbook, water is the enemy of good gnocchi. Water is gluten enhancing so the right choice of potatoes is important. Avoid the starchy and waxy varieties and use floury, dry potatoes. Also baking the potatoes will help keep the water content low. The other gluten enhancing activity is kneading, both in the mashing and the mixing. Use a mouli or a potato ricer to mash the spuds and avoid over-mixing the potato.

Bake 1.5 Kg of potato to get 900g of fluffy mash - about 170c for 90 mins
    Scoop out the cooked potato while still hot and pass through the ricer or mouli. The potato can be allowed to cool now.
    Add a good pinch of salt
    Add 200g of plain flour sieved over the mashed potato
    Separate 3 egg yolks and whisk
    Drizzle the eggs over the potato and flour and mix lightly with hands.
    Once you have a dough, divide and roll into sausages 1.5cm thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 1cm lengths and cook in batches in boiling salted water until they float. Takes about 2 or 3 minutes. Once cooked, tip onto an oiled tray and use in recipes.

900g makes quite a lot but they keep well in the fridge of covered.

Bean dip was a shop bought variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I've been trying to keep fit so I bought a bag of leaves for the first time in about a year yesterday. Made myself a lovely salad!

Had the exact same thing today after boxing :)

Chicken breast covered in freshly ground black pepper and homemade green pesto, baked.

Mixed leaves seasoned with black pepper again (an unholy amount) and some balsamic vinegar dressing.

Was DELISH!!

164288.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I had chicken breast and mushrooms on salad with a ceasar dressing and some baby potatoes. turned out quite well for a fridge raid dinner

4 x Long island Iced Tea. Could have done with a bit more lemon in them as they were uber sweet, but very good otherwise.

A bowl of chips & mayo.

Todays lunch = 2 x Neurofen + & coffee.

Last night was fried medium rare lamb chops (as seen in my fridge), tabouleh (parsley as seen in my fridge!), hummus and bread. Nice!

• Advertisement

Last night was another night out, wine this time around. Thankfully, there was food to go along with this time!

I had flat mushrooms with blue cheese and risotto on top and baked. A rocket and watercress salad and a bowl of mixed tomatoes with the nicest olive oil I have had in ages. Purple tomatoes, cherry, deep red vine, yellow, green - I was so happy eating that simple bowl of food.

All the residual juices and oil were mopped up with some really nice homemade ciabatta.

Absolutley delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

In my beloved America,where food is the greatest thing known to man.
    Last night went to my favourite restaurant,Bahamas Breeze,a Caribbean place.
    Shared some starters: chicken flat bread with tomatoes and Parmesan.
    Shrimp and lobster and Parmesan quesadeillas and chicken sliders,mini chicken filletnburgers on a brioche bun,they were exquisite.

Main was a huge lobster and shrimp linguni with a cream and brandy sauce.
    Check out the site at www.bahamabreeze.com. Has pictures and all. Can't wait for today's food.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

TEMPEH SATAY
    Tempeh, galangal, peanuts toasted black & white sesame seeds with a peanut sauce

PERKEDEL
    Potato & chickpeas crushed and mixed with carrot, banana shallots, celery, curry & pandang leaves with pickled aubergine mayonnaise

ASINAN
    Salad with cucumber mango, chinese leaves with a peanut and black sesame dressing

SWEET POTATO SPRING ROLL
    With coriander and Thai basil served with a spicy mango dip

SESAME FRIED VEGETABLES
    Seasonal greens wok fried with sauteed onions and toasted sesame seeds

BAMI GORENG
    Wok fried noodles with bean sprouts, ginger, garlic & Soy sauce

NASI KUNIG
    Yellow rice cooked slowly with onion, garlic, ginger and red chillies

RED CURRY
    A curry with squash, courgette, bamboo shoots & Thai basil.

8 dishes served with steamed jasmine rice and condiments

AMAZING

http://www.chameleonrestaurant.com/desserts.html

had my 8 courses, then a lovely brownie while my girlfriend had pisang gorang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Lornen - black pepper again (an unholy amount) and some balsamic vinegar dressing

^^ no such thing as an unholy amount of black pepper, just not possible!!!

Last night was grilled striploins served with a rare treat these days of oven chips. Veg was stir fried mushrooms, red onion and some red pepper. Loads of balsamic vinegar and lemon juice made it very fine indeed!

Last night we has stirfried freerange pork mince with, ginger, lemongrass, garlic chilli, spring onion, white cabbage, sugarsnaps, fish sauce, soy, white wine, chicken stock, lime juice served with brown Thai rice.

Plate licking tasty!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Lunch today was home-made focaccia with olives, sun-blush tomatoes and peppers. Oh my god...Nyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jaygee

This seriously is one of the best past dishes i've ever had, I cannot stop eating it,

Its turkey mince,bacon,cannelloni and gruyere cheese

Unrealllllllllll :D

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/bacon-turkey-and-leek-cannelloni

Seafood biryani with salmon, scallops and prawns.

Last night was a salad with mixed leaves (all from garden - mostly rocket), tomatoes and cucumber with black pudding, lightly fried apple and grilled crushed new potatoes.

Tonight is Bolognaise with wholemeal spaghetti (homemade, from the freezer) with another mixed leaf salad with tomatoes and cucumber. Just made a big bottle of salad dressing so lots of salad from the garden to come - now if the tomatoes would hurry up!!

• Advertisement

Last night we had BBQ for the four of us. I used this recipe from Little Alex in the cooking club for the buns. Fantastic results - a lovely bun for a burger and the kids loved the idea of making their own dinner. We also had some lamb kebabs - lamb marinated in a mixture of smoked paprika, oregano, lemon, cumin and pomergranate molasses. Wrapped in khobz and garnished with houmous and hot sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement