Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Tonight's dinner was crab salad, lots and lots of leafy greens (in a healthy mood!), and some lovely macaroni and cheese, a nice treat, haven't had it in years. Dessert is an apple & cinnamon cupcake, from my stash in the freezer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Saw this carbonara recipe on the Beeb last Saturday & it looked delicious so the boyfriend made it for us tonight. Best carbonara I've had, I can't stand the overly creamy recipes you normally get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had a couple of pasta dishes. First was a hot dish - fregola with chicken, mushrooms and artichokes. Second was a pasta salad with orzo and tomato, black olives, feta cheese, roast pinenuts and basil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 applejacks

Had to grab everything in the fridge, which wasn't much, so ended up with

Chicken fillets, cut them open and put fresh basil, tomato, and tomato puree in the middle. Wrapped a slice of bacon around them...delish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight twas free range pork fillet flattened, seasoned and coated in buckwheat and potato flour and lightly fried. Steamed new potatoes. Grilled cherry tomatoes. Salsa verde. Mixed leaf salad.
    Fantastic flavours.:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tonight I made Boilermaker Chilli, to be eaten tomorrow by 4 of us and then the remainder the day after. Forgot to put beer in. Looks the absolute biz. Will take a pic tomorrow. Think I got the receipe from here ages ago, here a link
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/Detail.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Not last night but on sunday we had another bbq since the weather was good. Had a beer can roast chicken and homemade spiced lamb burgers (stunner of a recipe from river cottage book) with homemade flat breads and served with spiced yoghurt, lettuce, onion and cucumber. Recipe here:

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/cookbooks/hugh-fearnleywhittingstalls-spiced-lamb-burgers-cookbook-review-recipe-from-river-cottage-every-day-149653

Fish pie yesterday.

Tonight was thai red chicken curry with basmati rice(mae ploy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pasta chilli crab. Spaghetti with crab, garlic, chilli, basil and lemon rind. Don't know what combination of variables went right with this tonight but this was the best crab pasta dish Mrs Minder has ever had.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Last night was oddly enough a kind of chicken cordon bleu, with braised leeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Courgette fritters made with polenta and roasted intead of fried.
    Grilled aubergine with mint and cumin.

Also tried to recapture my youth by making plaice poached in milk but didn't really taste of anything:confused:

On a side note having mackeral fried in butter, chilli, ginger and garlic just now, yum!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Work has been crazy this week so noty much to report ...except.....

I won a hamper!!!

Yaya! On the Electric Ireland Competition here on boards! Im so happy! I won an award for best comedy writing yesterday and now this! Im on a roll!

I had a big dirty Kentucky Fried Chicken meal last night. We were in the office till 10pm so for a change my shoddy diet was not my fault!

Photo of fridge going up tmz.

*YAY!!!!I won! I won!

*nope - no humility whatsoever

Photo of the hamper!!!!

Tonight was a braised chicken thigh/leg done in the pan with a wholegrain mustard and thyme sauce, simply on a pile of carrot mash, went down a treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fairly weird few days of cooking.

Saturday made beef and mushrooms in oyster sauce (seriously more-ish dish that one - I think the sauce, which is just a combination of good beef stock and oyster sauce thickened with a cornflour paste, is the living definition of umami). Did my tea smoked duck Sunday for the cooking club. Last night was crab pasta - when I'm tired and want a meal in less than 12 minutes I inadvertently head for the pantry and it's either:

Tuna with spaghetti
    Crab with spaghetti
    Pasta puttanesca (spaghetti!)
    King prawn with spaghetti

All of the above with a variety of olive oil, black pepper, hot chili, black olives, capers, garlic, parsley and lemon zest depending which dish it is. If they banned spaghetti I'd starve.

No sign of the hamper yet! I am waiting on my tippy toes!

Last night was burrittos made with minced beef, peppers, sweetcorn, cheese and sour cream. No avocado but over all the more healthy version.

A very boring weekends food. Not even worth mentioning.

Thursday was good though. I had a few friends visiting and we went to BAr Italia in the Italian Quarter. Mixed platter to start - loads of goodies like grilled courgettes, various meats, artichokes and olives etc. Bread and olive oil - one of my fav things to eat.

Main course was linguini with bacon and mushrooms. A shake of parmesan and a wiggle of olive oil - delicious.

cheese platter for dessert - nice but cold so didnt really bother with it - hadnt time to let it come up. Shame as there was Gubeen, camanbert, durrus and one more that I cant remember.

I find the house wine to be sweet but very drinkable.

All in all, well worth €50. That included tip as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Made a lamb rogan josh from scratch. Tasted amazing. Served with rice infused with saffron and a few sultanas, perfect!

5909494994_1fdcfe09cf_b.jpg

5908937729_015084e92b_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Trying to drop a few pounds so it's another green salad for me with half a pound of fresh black pepper and a few sloshs of balsamic vinegar dressing followed by a blueberry and banana protein shake!

My mouth is throbbing writing this, pepper is KILLER! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Lornen wrote: »
    Trying to drop a few pounds so it's another green salad for me with half a pound of fresh black pepper and a few sloshs of balsamic vinegar dressing followed by a blueberry and banana protein shake!

My mouth is throbbing writing this, pepper is KILLER! :pac:

Ha! I'm in the same boat so I know that feeling! Usually though I do it with chillis or too much raw onion!

As for moi tonight I had a big serving of roasted veg - aubergines, tomatoes, onions, peppers and lots of garlic cloves. On top of that I cooked a breast of chicken stuffed with even more garlic (!) and seasoned with some mexican spice powder. Once plated up I added a lemon and parsley dressing - nom nom nom :D

Well, the hamper arrived. It contains some cutlery and 4 side plates. No food. The less said the better as I’m very disappointed not to be able to show off lovely treats that I didn’t either have to make or buy. Still, gift horse and all that – delighted to have a hamper to give to somebody!

So – who wants a hamper? Im based in Dublin and can drop it off to you in the city centre this evening. I already have a fab basket set down in Achill (and Madchefs place) so I don’t actually need one up here as I do my picnicking down there. Im not putting it up on the freebie section because one of you guys who post here regularly deserves it.

Is that ok Mod?

Last night I had prawn crackers and chicken something from the local Chinese. It was hot and mucky.

Tonight is Boojum! Yay!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Made a lamb rogan josh from scratch. Tasted amazing. Served with rice infused with saffron and a few sultanas, perfect!

Who's gotten themselves a new large sensor digital camera?
    NEX 5 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Nothing new - Nearly 3 years old at this stage - 5D mkII :)

Tonight, pork chops with sage, apple and stilton - Just before going back into the oven..
    5912917370_ea39667d93_z.jpg

Edit
    So – who wants a hamper? Im based in Dublin and can drop it off to you in the city centre this evening. I already have a fab basket set down in Achill (and Madchefs place) so I don’t actually need one up here as I do my picnicking down there. Im not putting it up on the freebie section because one of you guys who post here regularly deserves it.

Is that ok Mod?
    Fair play to you :)

Tonight was beer-battered cod with chips and mushy peas, 'twas delicious.

Well, the hamper arrived. It contains some cutlery and 4 side plates. No food. The less said the better as I’m very disappointed not to be able to show off lovely treats that I didn’t either have to make or buy. Still, gift horse and all that – delighted to have a hamper to give to somebody!

Is that ok Mod?

Last night I had prawn crackers and chicken something from the local Chinese. It was hot and mucky.

Tonight is Boojum! Yay!

Awwwww so it was a physical picnic hamper, e.g. wicker basket type thing with a closing lid, a gingham lining, and the plates / cutlery / space for a picnic?

While I think that's a cool item in and of itself, it is a bit of a crock thinking you were getting a hamper and getting.... well, a hamper. :(

Also: kudos to you for offering it up here!

Awwwww so it was a physical picnic hamper, e.g. wicker basket type thing with a closing lid, a gingham lining, and the plates / cutlery / space for a picnic?

While I think that's a cool item in and of itself, it is a bit of a crock thinking you were getting a hamper and getting.... well, a hamper.

Yes, it was. Dont get me wrong, its a nice little thing. But I already have that and more. Yes, was very disspapointed, but thats being ungrateful and petty so got over it in 2 seconds.

Also: kudos to you for offering it up here!

I dont seee a stampede! If nobody wants it, Ill pop it up in the free ads after the weekend.

Last night there was a work bbq. Had a burnt chicken burger. It was........free. :(

The hamper has a new home! Whilst not strictly part of the food forum, she must graze in here, otherwise she would not have seen the offer. * Plus - big plus here - she is giving me €20 which will be going towards our soup run funding from the Dublin Central Missions.

She wasn't strictly part of the food forum and I wasn't strictly giving it away to somebody who wasn't.

Im delighted with that now.

Thank you! I didnt put your name up here as Im not sure you would want me to!

(*I can see the Mod note now - banned for shilling! Sorry in advance, please delete if you deem it to be so. Im not normally a shill weasel, but I did think it was a relevant part of the story)

I just saw a great joke - seeing as I am on a bit of a hamster theme!

Whats the difference between a hanster and a cigarette?

None - until you put one in your mouth and set it on fire

LOLOLOLOLOL

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Nothing new - Nearly 3 years old at this stage - 5D mkII :)
    Ah everyone's favourite movie camera, these days!
    Nice shots.

Had a fun cooking day inspired by the unctuous meals thread.

Made beef rendang and also vietnamese claypot pork, then made a celebration rice (rice cooked by absorption with coconut milk and chicken stock, coloured and flavoured with tumeric, wtih knotted lemongrass and fresh kaffir lime leaves). All served with stir fried asian greens with ginger, chili and garlic.

Have just stuffed face and washed down with cold beer. Om nom nom. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Nothing to fancy this week as we had a houseful on unwells....

Thursday was pan fried pork chops served with a mix of fried apple, baby pots, chopped carrots and string beans. Worked quite well

Last night was just a small roast chicken stuffed with lemon and seasoned with tarragon. Roast spuds and baby corn and carrots did the sides. Far too much wine accompanied!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

MY first attempt at smoking food last night with my new smoker. Tried some chicken portions - 3 legs and 3 drumsticks. Worked out really well. Had a few temperature problems at first but after 1hr 45mins or so it was all good.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10040

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10041

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10042

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I had Jamie Oliver's Quick Tomato Macaroni Cheese and it was delicious :)

(I left out the anchovies and nutmeg because I didn't fancy them)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement