Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Vietnamese chicken with lemongrass, boiled rice and stir fried veggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Home-made pasta filled with salmon, cream and chives, dressed with a saffron & lemonsauce.

...followed by...

roast beef, baked potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts & cauliflower cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Mmm, would be very interested in getting the recipe for the pasta, was it smoked salmon you used? How did you make the pasta and stuff it with cream?
    Sounds delish though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

jessie1 wrote: »
    Mmm, would be very interested in getting the recipe for the pasta, was it smoked salmon you used? How did you make the pasta and stuff it with cream?
    Sounds delish though!

Well, I have a pasta machine (Imperia), and a couple of ravioli trays for doing different shapes of ravioli (also from Imperia), so mostly its a case of using these :)

I did two seperate stuffings for a starter on Saturday, and re-used one of these on Sunday.

One was equal quantities of fresh salmon and double cream, with added salt, pepper, chives.
    Quite literally, you chill your salmon and cream till they're well cold, then blitz the two together in a mixer and they form a mousse! Add salt, pepper, and chopped chives.

The other was equal quantities of smoked salmon, and ricotta, with added zest of lemon, and lemon-juice, salt and pepper. Here, I diced the salmon really finely by hand, and mixed it all through by hand, so it had more texture than the first variation.

150g fish with 150ml cream or ricotta (took the zest of a full lemon, and the juice of half a lemon) would make enough ravioli for a starter for 6-8 people, I reckon, and would need pasta made from 300g flour w. 3 eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Goulash-type spicy stew made with shin beef. Simmered for 6 hours - you could have cut the beef with a stick of butter. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

chicken breasts with a smooth sage, thyme, onion & chunky pepper stuffing baked in the oven alongside honey & thyme glazed parsnips

and homemade wedges, Just cut your roosters into wedges, season well and add some dried rosemary.

YOu just throw everything into the oven and it all takes about the same time to cook.

Delish!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A handful of Pringles :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Been trying out new dishes with random ingredients that I try to get to work together. I do my best to not research recipes and copy them, but just try to mix and match ingreds that 'might' work.

A few nights ago I stir-fried some garlic, onions, yellow peppers, chopped green beans, and baby corn into chicken. Added a few drops of Tabasco and lashings of soy sauce, and served with basmati rice. Delicious.

Last night I cooked spaghetti bolognese. For the sauce, I just fried some garlic, onions, red pepper, 2 sliced chillies before frying the minced beef. Then I just squirted in a douse of tomato purée. Served with spaghetti, where I chopped a clove of garlic and left in the pot that boiled it to see what would happen. Was nice, but I burned the mince so the overall taste was a bit dry.

A classic dish of mine is to stuff chicken breasts with breadcrumbs, onions and thyme, and wrap them in 2 streaky bacon each, cooked at 220 for 25 mins and a further 25 with the foil removed. Also cooked a sauce consisting of a chopped onion and clove of garlic fried before adding in a tin of chopped tomatoes, pinch of salt, teaspoon of sugar, pepper, 10 drops of Tabasco, a lil' bit of soya sauce, and two tablespoons of crème fraiche. Served with potato croquettes, cos I usually get lazy :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Faith wrote: »
    A handful of Pringles :(.

Hard Times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Some borscht with soured cream and pork mince. Russia ftw :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I had been doing well since the weekend. Saturday we had pork steak fried on the pan with creamed mashed potoatoes and spring onions, carrot and parsnip mash and mushy peas. Sunday we had roast duck, roast potaotes and carrots for him and stir fried veg, rice and roast potatoes for me. On monday we had fillet steak, baby potatoes, red onions, baby leaf salad and cherry tomatoes that I threw onto the pan for a couple of minutes while the steaks were resting. Then last night we had turkey mince, I meant to post here looking for tasty suggestions but I forgot so I ended up cooking it and adding a jar of Uncle Bens and serving on a bed of rice. Tonight I'm doing a trial run of my Christmas starter, I'll be going down to the fish mongers for the scallops so I might get some dover sole if he has it, otherwise I'll probably just turn the starter into a main with some baby potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had a Christmas pot-luck supper at our house with a few friends. It was a bit of a carb-fest! The goodies on offer were chilli con carne, baked potatoes with cheese and sour cream, macaroni-cheese (authentic home-made American yumminess thanks to our US friend Jeff), noodle salad with a spicy peanut dressing, salad greens, garlic bread, seasonal popcorn (popcorn with butter, cumin, sugar, salt and nutmeg), pesto pasta, marinated chicken skewers, onion bhajis and mini-quiches and the usual range of nuts, chips and dips. Dessert was home-made mince pies, chocolate cake, fresh ground coffee and mulled wine. Tis the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I had Roast Loin of Pork Last night, IT was well seasoned and the Crackling was just perfect on it. I had buttered Carrots and I bought Records (SPUDS) and steamed them in the pot, They were absolutely gorgeous a big lump of butter on them they were like balls of flour. I poured the juice from the tray over the spuds.... They were mighty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

The fish monger had no dover sole so I had the scallops, baby leaves, cherry tomatoes and parmesan salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar and baby potatoes and crusty bread on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ehhowaya

I had beautiful fishcakes made by myself with crab meat, smoked haddock, potato, lemon juice, breadcrumbs and a whole load of herbs, absolutely beautiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

^Mmm..that meal sounds delicious. Will be adding it to my meal plan for this week.

Thanks for the idea!

Roast beef, braised red cabbage, roast potatoes, roast carrots & parsnips, yorkshires and a red wine gravy. Dessert was banoffe pie.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 good intentions

bonkey wrote: »
    Well, I have a pasta machine (Imperia), and a couple of ravioli trays for doing different shapes of ravioli (also from Imperia), so mostly its a case of using these :)

Hey Bonkey,

Have you got an actual recipe for the pasta itself? ie quantities of flour/egg/whatever else you use? I too have a pasta maker, but too be honest it never comes out right.

Singapore noodles made with (amongst other things) a smoked chicken breast.

Spit roast chicken with rosemary salt, lemon and black pepper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

More Borscht and Pork mince with some beansprouts for the larf this time. Nothing so far tonight, more than likely Hillbillys after Gorbys:D

Braised lamb shanks with cannellini beans and gremolata, served with deCecco pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Roast beef, well coated with mixed herbs, pepper and garlic, mushy peas, carrots, roast potatoes, stuffing and gravy made with meat juice. Hmnn Hmnn Hmnn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Chicken garlic (chicken breast cut into cubes, put in a dish, topped with breadcrumbs mixed with butter, cheese, and garlic, and baked in the oven), carrots, and roast potatoes smothered with white sauce (or in my sister's case, just spoonfuls of white sauce on its own). So easy to make and yummy!

Followed by chocolate souffles. (Also easy to make and yummy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

We were feeliong like something quick and light after the xmas indulgences so I cooked some rice tumeric, peas, finely diced peppers and carrots, a squeeze of lemon juice and some chilli to add some heat. Pan fried some jumbo prawn tails in their shells (didn't bother marinating). Took about 20 mins from start to finish. Simple and tasty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

janeybabe wrote: »
    Chicken garlic (chicken breast cut into cubes, put in a dish, topped with breadcrumbs mixed with butter, cheese, and garlic, and baked in the oven), carrots, and roast potatoes smothered with white sauce (or in my sister's case, just spoonfuls of white sauce on its own). So easy to make and yummy!

Followed by chocolate souffles. (Also easy to make and yummy!)

Sounds lovely - is the chicken precooked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Sounds lovely - is the chicken precooked?

Nope, raw chicken breast cubed. Usually we cover the whole thing with tinfoil for about half an hour to let the chicken cook and then remove it for the last 15 minutes to allow the breadcrumbs to crisp up.

Had a cheese, pate & cracker feast last night to use up as much as we could before the use-by dates expired.

Good ol' stew last night. Made on Wednesday (to 'mature' for a day) with shin of beef, carrots, turnips, celery, leeks & onions. Just what was needed up in the chilly hills. Brrr...

• Advertisement

Grilled lamb loin chops with mashed turnips & spuds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement