Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Right click on the photo and open it in a new tab rather than opening it the usual way. That will bring you to the old way of viewing photos.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Made pizza last night for supper - my dough and tomato sauce recipes are listed on my blog. Pizzas turned out really well and I was very pleased. There's just something about a thin, crispy pizza!

Goat's cheese, artichokes, rocket & carmelised red onion (with mozzarella & tomato)

DSC_0014a+%2528Medium%2529.JPG
    Prosciutto, pepperoni, roquito peppers with mozzarella & tomato.

DSC_0010a+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Last night was fillet of salmon with a pesto crumb on top baked in the oven, with my home grown yummy spuds and a medley of green veg - asparagus, spring onion, peas and spinach.

Bangers, mash & beans - ultimate comfort food! This photo was, of course, taken before I chopped up the sausages and mixed the whole lot together into a big blob...

216902_10150379935052678_552147677_10489095_2801478_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Yesterday we had a Sunday Roast with beef :D

And attempted Yorkshire puddings for the second time...

2011-07-24+15.05.46.jpg

Slowly but surely getting them to look somewhat normal... Think I need to buy a proper muffin tray?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Bangers, mash & beans - ultimate comfort food! This photo was, of course, taken before I chopped up the sausages and mixed the whole lot together into a big blob...

216902_10150379935052678_552147677_10489095_2801478_n.jpg

Lol! Dainty! It all finally ends up in a blob eventually anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

smiles302 wrote: »

Slowly but surely getting them to look somewhat normal... Think I need to buy a proper muffin tray?

At least they're rising.
    Last time we tried them we ended up with solid, thick pancakes!:mad:

At least they're rising.
    Last time we tried them we ended up with solid, thick pancakes!:mad:

My batter was 3 eggs, 125 g of cream plain flour and 285 ml of milk, I left it sit for half an hour.
    They tasted lovely, just looked odd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Got the smoker out again yesterday. Did ribs, chicken breasts and meatloaf.

<mod snip> pimp your blog in your sig or the Food Blog thread, but not in posts. tHB

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10161

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Friday night I prepared chicken fajita's. Here's my fajita mix for 5 fillets.
    1 tablespoon cornflour
    2 teaspoons chilli flakes
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon sugar
    0.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    0.5 teaspoon cumin
    1 chicken stock cube crushed.
    5-6 garlic cloves crushed
    And about 4/5 table spoons of olive oil.

First time I made the mix above, and it is the bomb. Can't wait till we have them again. We added in another teaspoon of chilli flakes, and had it marinating for 2 days. If you have room in the fridge, do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a regular favourite of ours tonight:
    Grilled chicken thighs with (rose or white) winey jus, fried polenta cake, grilled tomatoes and lettuce, rocket and basil salad with homemade dressing.
    Oh so tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner tonight was a Sri Lankan crab curry with plain rice.

beertons wrote: »
    Friday night I prepared chicken fajita's. Here's my fajita mix for 5 fillets.
    1 tablespoon cornflour
    2 teaspoons chilli flakes
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon sugar
    0.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    0.5 teaspoon cumin
    1 chicken stock cube crushed.
    5-6 garlic cloves crushed
    And about 4/5 table spoons of olive oil.

First time I made the mix above, and it is the bomb. Can't wait till we have them again. We added in another teaspoon of chilli flakes, and had it marinating for 2 days. If you have room in the fridge, do it!

Add the zest and juice of a lime to that and you'll love it even more.

That's pretty much the same fajita marinade I use only I omit the cornflour & stock cube and use a chopped fresh chili in addition to the chili flakes. And the lime, obviously. Oh, and I use chili oil instead of plain olive oil. Have I mentioned that I like chilies?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Add the zest and juice of a lime to that and you'll love it even more.

That's pretty much the same fajita marinade I use only I omit the cornflour & stock cube and use a chopped fresh chili in addition to the chili flakes. And the lime, obviously. Oh, and I use chili oil instead of plain olive oil. Have I mentioned that I like chilies?

Might give that a bash, also like my chilies! Marinate it overnight yeah? What else do you have in your fajitas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Had a re-run of Sunday's supper last night - flour tortillas wrapped around flash fried steak strips with chopped tomatoes and guacamole and refried beans.

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Might give that a bash, also like my chilies! Marinate it overnight yeah? What else do you have in your fajitas?

I usually marinade for about 6 hours; the lime juice has a tenderising effect on the chicken so you don't want to leave it too long. I should also mention that I use the zest & juice of 1 lime for two chicken fillets, so scale up as needed.

I include a huge onion and two bell peppers with the chicken mix when cooking, and when building the fajitas themselves I go: sour cream; a salad of baby spinach, fresh coriander & raw onions; fajita mix; sharp cheddar cheese; jalapenos; an extra squeeze of lime. Heaven!

Last night's dinner was a Horseshoe. It was so disgustingly unhealthy that I refused to even take a photo of it, but my God, it ROCKED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

2011-07-24+15.05.46.jpg

Oh, that made me laugh (in a sweet way, not evil). The bottom right one looks like the Loch Ness Monster ;):p

Oh, that made me laugh (in a sweet way, not evil). The bottom right one looks like the Loch Ness Monster ;):p

I would make for an hilarious dinner party host... My food usually tastes much nicer than it looks :D

Did ok today:

Dd5rSl.jpg

Home made burger buns with simple beef burgers, a side of home made wedges (first time I have managed to get them to look like wedges) and roast peppers

:D

Last night's dinner was a Horseshoe. It was so disgustingly unhealthy that I refused to even take a photo of it, but my God, it ROCKED.

What's a horseshoe???

• Advertisement

Caros wrote: »
    What's a horseshoe???

A Horseshoe is a bunless burger, covered in a massive pile of chips and then smothered in cheese sauce. Man V Food is going to be the death of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Stir-fried Chicken with asparagus and leeks. From the Hamlyn 200 Wok Recipes book which I would recommend to anyone for tasty, quick recipes. Just served with steamed jasmine rice.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10174

Last night was roast leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic, roast veggies and sweet potatoes.

Tonight I'm gonna make homemade burgers, back in the day my mother used to call them rissoles! To be served with homemade oven chips.

back in the day my mother used to call them rissoles!

Are they not the burgers without meat? My dad calls the egg/breadcrumb burgers rissoles

Are they not the burgers without meat? My dad calls the egg/breadcrumb burgers rissoles

In our house they always included minced meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Caros wrote: »
    Last night was roast leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic, roast veggies and sweet potatoes.

Tonight I'm gonna make homemade burgers, back in the day my mother used to call them rissoles! To be served with homemade oven chips.

My mum always called them rissoles. She made them exactly the same way as home made burgers. Minced meat, onion, salt, pepper, mixed dried herbs, breadcrumbs, egg to bind together and fried on the pan - delish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Oven baked cod and chickpeas with a baby spinach and rocket salad with homemade vinaigrette (Dijon mustard/hazelnut oil/olive oil/white wine vinegar).

168609.jpg

How do I resize?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I made this dish this evening from produce that was ready in my garden, the making of it was easy the hard bit was thinking on what to name it lol but i have to admit it was gorgeous

http://ciaronskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/fragrant-chili-chicken-with-spaghetti.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katharinewheel

I'm trying to shake the lazy lull of only cooking frozen pizzas or pork chops in creamy tarrogon sauce, that I fell into a couple of months ago. This is week, since I've had the time I decided that I'm going to start actually cooking proper meals again now.

This is my attempt at Roasted Duck Legs in a Port Cherry Sauce, with Fondant Potato, wilted spinach, baby carrots and sweet potato purée.

168682.jpg

Despite the fondant potato completely lacking the right shape and my over cooking the duck a little bit, it wasn't too bad for my first attempt at cooking something decent in a fair few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Chicken thighs & drumsticks marinated in lime & coriander, with home-made spicy potato wedges. Spicy sauce for dipping!

...and of course a nice bottle of beer! Ahhh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement