Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Did a stew in the slow cooker today (5hours) - delicious!

Basically Jamie Oliver's Beef and Ale recipe using a bottle of "Galway Hooker". Added worchester sauce, haricot beans, herbs and some bisto to thicken a bit.

stew.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Those roast pototoes look amazing foto joe, how do you do yours?

Par boil? Roast in goose fat or oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Carbonara - no cream, no mushrooms, just an egg, parmesan, pancetta & black pepper.

I'd no tagliatelle, so just had it with rigatoni.

283817_10150393307832678_552147677_10638501_1918932_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I had brinner. Fried egg, beans, rashers and toast. Nom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I made pizza :D

Each time I make it it comes out slightly rounder.

2011-08-08+15.48.54.jpg

Does anyone have tips on how to make it round? I am trial and error with my rolling pin.

I heart pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

foto joe wrote: »

Basically Jamie Oliver's Beef and Ale recipe using a bottle of "Galway Hooker". Added worchester sauce, haricot beans, herbs and some bisto to thicken a bit.

Have made this a good few times, it's great. Recently tried the pork and cider version, too. Will try your suggestion on the worchester sauce and haricot beans. :) What temp did you do it at for 5 hours?

smiles302 wrote: »
    Does anyone have tips on how to make it round? I am trial and error with my rolling pin.

Don't use a rolling pin. Shaping by hand is easier and actually gives you a better texture aswell; using a rolling pin knocks out too much air.

Start with a nice, round, tight ball of dough. Squash it down with your hand to flatten it. Then just keep pushing it out at the edges, turning a quarter-turn every time, until it's about half an inch thick. Drape it over the back of your fists and "hop" it up and down on your fists while turning it in a circle - the centrifugal force will keep it round. You only need to give it tiny little jumps; I'm not talking spinning it in the air or anything.

Believe me, this technique is way easier than it sounds, you'll have it down pat in no time.

Oh and back on-topic - smoked turkey BLTs with homemade chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Burger and Beer

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10268

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

This thread just get better and better! Lovin the photos :)

Last night was bacon and york cabbage (cooked in the bacon water), roasted turnip chips and baby news with dijon mustard sauce.

Tonight is fritatta ala fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Cabbage from the garden, carrots, new spuds, green beans and roast chicken breast.

Delish.

next week we should have spuds and carrots from the garden as well :)

Smoked Mackerel Salad with rhubarb chutney. Really, really delish!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10269

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Corn on the cob followed by a smashed, sautéed potato with some bean and lentil chili.
    Pretty tasty!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Turns out image links from Google+ aren't permanent - fixed;
    foto joe wrote: »

stew.jpg
    Those roast pototoes look amazing foto joe, how do you do yours?

Par boil? Roast in goose fat or oil?

Pretty much fully boiled then drained into colander, left on side of colander to cool and dry. Then olive oil and herbs at 200deg for ~45mins.
    Have made this a good few times, it's great. Recently tried the pork and cider version, too. Will try your suggestion on the worchester sauce and haricot beans. :)What temp did you do it at for 5 hours?

Mine has just high and low. It was on high for the first 2hrs, then low for 2hrs then high for the last hour. The bisto helped a lot, stews can be a bit watery from the slow cooker otherwise.

The aftertaste from that stew was fantastic! I'll try with different ales and stouts again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Not feeling up to much tonight.

Had to walk around with my steak in cling film in my pocket for the last hour to ensure it wasn't freezing in the middle!

Well worth it though!

30 seconds on each side is all that bad boy needs.

Aberdeen Angus Striploin with freshly ground black pepper and moldon sea flakes.

Simples.

170129.JPG

That's exactly how I like my steak - cool, but not chilled in the middle. Looks fab.

I was very lazy last night (I was home alone, that's my excuse) and just did pasta with pesto and toasted pine nuts.

Pasto.JPG

Chicken and Tomato Enchiladas and salad. Delish!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10275

Lornen wrote: »
    Had to walk around with my steak in cling film in my pocket for the last hour to ensure it wasn't freezing in the middle!

Well worth it though!

I admire (and recognise) your, slightly obsessive, dedication to food preparation!

Having recently been served a blue steak which was very chilled in the middle, I can vouch that it's not very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I admire (and recognise) your, slightly obsessive, dedication to food preparation!

Having recently been served a blue steak which was very chilled in the middle, I can vouch that it's not very good.

I think when you make simple dinners with few ingredients you really need to make sure your prep is down perfectly. I was being laughed at for only using the perfectly circular onions for making home made onions the other day, disguarding all of the broken rings. :pac:

I get plenty of disheartening comments when it comes to me and my steak.
    Being a total purest and not wanting to eat it with anything more than a simple seasoning.
    I even ditched my side salad last night! :pac:
    I don't understand when people smother good meat in over powering sauces..
    I used a hint of a habañero hot sauce on my steak to bring up the temperature slightly as it was quite cool. But nothing more than a sliver of the stuff.

I would recommend leaving it out for as long as possible. It was recommended to me to be left an hour outside of the fridge but it's still quite chill in the middle. Double wrap that bad boy and stick him in your pocket for 20 minutes and you're laughing!

Back on topic, tonight I'll be having a smoothie to try and shift this 8 lbs I managed to gain over the past few weeks by being a total fat arse!

Frozen nectarine, blueberries, raspberries, banana whey protein and skimmed milk..

Amazing!

170178.JPG

Chicken & chickpea curry with poori breads. I am completely addicted to chickpeas and find myself eating them directly out of the colander after I've drained them.

215165_10150397123357678_552147677_10680453_1903620_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Recipe for poori breads Honey-ec? Wouldn't mind the curry one while you're at it!

Today Broccoli and Pesto Pasta (home-made pesto)

2011-08-10+14.43.18.jpg

Though the reactions this got were disappointing... As it's apparently unappealing looking

It tasted lovely though

Chilli Prawns with Soba Noodles and Chilli Kale

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10299

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Recipe for poori breads Honey-ec? Wouldn't mind the curry one while you're at it!

I'm too lazy to repost, so here's the link - http://ruminationsrugbyruination.blogspot.com/2011/08/post-ninth-in-which-our-heroine-has.html

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Ok, it's taken me a wee while to figure out how to put up a picture though I had managed previously in the pet forum!

Anyways this was last night's offerings and Tuesday night's.
    (Wednesday)
    Pork fillet with apple, mustard, creme fraiche sauce served with mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots.

picture.php?albumid=1809&pictureid=10303

(Tuesday)
    Duck breast with cherry and port sauce, medley of green veg and fondant potatoes.

picture.php?albumid=1809&pictureid=10305

My OH's 14 year old nephew made some brownies for me from a cookery book I'd given him which I'd ended up with twice, they were delish with some raspberries.
    picture.php?albumid=1809&pictureid=10304

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

There's no getting rid of me now I've mastered the pictures thing!

Tonight was a James Martin recipe - Mackerel with caramelised radishes.
    The mackerel was lovely cooked in foil in the oven with shallots, lemons, chives, thyme and coriander BUT as for the caramelised radishes :( yuk!!! They're done with baby onions, honey and cumin seeds but nah!!!!!
    Served with one of my new spuddies from the garden.

picture.php?albumid=1809&pictureid=10318

Chicken and White Wine Stew =D

Another Jamie Oliver recipe.

2011-08-09+17.58.25.jpg

I'd have never considered adding a tin of tomatoes to a chicken stew... Worked well though.
    Served it with un-exciting baby potatoes

Tonight's dinner was simplicity itself.
    I got myself a lovely dry aged striploin steak in The English Market today.
    I had it with steamed new spuds with lots of butter and salt and pepper and a lettuce and rocket salad (garden) with cherry tomatoes, cucumber and homemade dressing.
    Fantastic!

dinner_1.jpg

steak_6.jpg

The meat was a much darker red than it looks in the pic. Really good steak.

I feel like I have not stopped stuffing myself for the past few days. I'm going to need my stomach stapled very soon.

Wednesday - bangers, mash & onion gravy
    262846_2149714116328_1650617356_2158257_3945671_n.jpg

Thursday - spinach & ricotta cannelloni
    267242_10150261630296231_612021230_8155307_123742_n.jpg

Last night. Chinese. Wasn't bothered cooking and it wasn't worth taking a photo of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Am new to this thread and so impressed by everyone! WOW.

Honey-ec. Am particularly impressed with your pizza and love the vino glass in every shot. A girl after my own heart :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement