Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

honey-ec, can I have your recipe for spinach and ricotta cannelloni please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Roasted whole leg of lamb with all the trimmings. Full now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Roasted whole leg of lamb with all the trimmings. Full now...

What counts as all the trimmings with a roast lamb? I've only recently got into doing a Sunday roast =D
    Have a leg of lamb in the oven roasting at the minute, with roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Gonna do gravy and mint sauce while it is resting :D

House smells of rosemary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Lovely pork belly with a light paprika & chili rub. And nothing else.

6042203916_f60caa1edc_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

trackguy wrote: »
    Burger and Beer

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10268

Is that burger homemade? It looks amazing! Would you have a recipe? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we were camping, so we barbecued a bit of fillet steak and some corn on the cob, and boiled ourselves up some spuds in their skins which we ate with garlic and herb butter. We were starving and everything tastes better outdoors. :)

Tonight we're home, clean and have scrubbed off the midges, and we have a slow-cooking beef curry on the hob which we plan to eat with the usual rice, naan, chutney etc. ...drool.

smiles302 wrote: »
    What counts as all the trimmings with a roast lamb? I've only recently got into doing a Sunday roast =D
    Have a leg of lamb in the oven roasting at the minute, with roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Gonna do gravy and mint sauce while it is resting :D

House smells of rosemary

This one: I pruned a rosemary bush and laid about 12 rosemary sprigs, each about 10", in the bottom of a roasting dish. Add two heads of garlic, halved, two red onions, halved, and two lemons, quartered. Score the fat of the lamb - it's okay if you go a little way into the meat - and rub with sea salt and black pepper, then rest it on the herbs and flavourings in the tray. Add water to the tray to come up to, but not touch, the lamb. Whack it in the oven at 200C and cook as per timings for weight. Top up the water once or twice.

I did buttery mash, crisp floury roasties (I can't get the golden brown on roasties in my oven so I parboil on stove top, drain and cool, shake and then fry in a pan till golden, then transfer to oven), then roast pumpkin and parsnips and steamed sprouts.

Made a gravy out of the meat tray - need to add something sweet so I use whatever condiment is handy - apple sauce, redcurrant jelly or cranberry sauce. I take the lamb off and leave to rest, then put the roasting dish over the heat. I'll add a little stock I made from boiling the shank end, and simmer, pummelling the cooked garlic and lemons to give their flavour to the liquid. Then strain and reserve the liquid. It's good if you can leave it stand in a fat separator. Return the liquid to a clean saucepan and heat gently. Taste for seasoning - mine needed salt and sweet. You can thicken at this point, but I just spooned a few spoonfuls over the sliced lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Last night's dinner is my fave -plain boiled lobster with some herby garlic butter, salad and new spuds, foodgasmic!!!

picture.php?albumid=1809&pictureid=10369

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I restocked my larder with a visit to the Oriental Emporium the other day and have been doing chinese recipes for the last few days, using Ching-He Huang's Chinese Food Made Easy cookbook as a basis. Nothing too complicated.

Tonight: Wok Fried fish with Sesame Soy sauce. Yummy. Recipe called for cod, I used hake. Worked out very well. Big success with the kids.

Last night: Chicken and cashew nut stir fry. Likewise, thumbs up from the recipients.

Previous night: Zesty chilli and garlic prawns. Used frozen prawns which took away from the final product a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Faith wrote: »
    honey-ec, can I have your recipe for spinach and ricotta cannelloni please?

Indeed'n you can. I always make this with cottage cheese instead of ricotta, it saves a lot of calories but tastes the exact same.

Spinach & "Ricotta" Cannelloni - serves 4

2 knobs butter
    4 cloves garlic, peeled & finely sliced
    Handful fresh sage or oregano
    1/4 of a nutmeg, grated
    8 large handfuls spinach, washed
    Handful fresh basil, stalks chopped, leaves chopped
    2 tins tomatoes
    400g low-fat cottage cheese
    100g grated parmesan
    Sugar, salt & pepper
    500ml fat-free natural yoghurt
    1 egg
    16 cannelloni tubes

1) Put a knob of the butter and a dash of olive into a large pot/pan. Add two of the garlic cloves, the sage or oregano (chopped, obviously) and the nutmeg and turn the ring onto high. By the time the oil is hot, the garlic should be softened. Add the spinach (pull off any really tough stalks) and cook down - as it wilts, you'll be able to keep putting more in - nothing does a more impressive disappearing act than spinach. Allow to wilt thoroughly, then stick it into the bowl/jug of a food processor and leave to cool a bit.

2) Put the pan back on the heat and add the second knob of butter and a bit more oil. Add the basil stalks and the rest of the garlic and cook for 5 minutes without browning. Add the tins of tomatoes, a pinch of sugar and salt & lots of black pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until you get a nice sauce consistency. I usually chuck in a good tablespoon of oregano at this stage too.

3) Preheat the oven to 180C. Add the cottage cheese and half the grated parmesan to the blender. Whizz it all together, then spoon it into a sandwich bag and tie it off. Find a shallow tray that will take all your cannelloni in one layer, and put the tomato sauce in the bottom.

4) Cut one of the corners off your sandwich bag and pipe the spinach mix into the cannelloni tubes. Lay them on top of the tomato sauce. Make your white sauce by mixing the yoghurt, the egg and the rest of the parmesan, and loosen with a few drops of water. Spread over the cannelloni and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with a green salad and garlic bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Lovely pork belly with a light paprika & chili rub. And nothing else.

Hi Fajitas, how long did you cook the pork for? The crackling looks better than anything I've ever seen! Did you do anything special to it to get it extra, erm, crackly?

leahyl wrote: »
    Is that burger homemade? It looks amazing! Would you have a recipe? :-)

Yeah it's homemade - I've got the recipe on my blog :)

http://noshanduttertosh.blogspot.com/2011/08/damn-good-burger.html

Honey-ec. Am particularly impressed with your pizza and love the vino glass in every shot. A girl after my own heart :D

It's water, I swear :cool:

Devilled Mackerel with a tomato & red onion salad. It's a Rick Stein recipe. Was really tasty, despite appearances!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10394

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Chicken breast topped with basil pesto and freshly ground black pepper, baked.
    Served on mixed leaves with a balsamic dressing..

171012.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Beef Rogan Josh, with lemon, ginger and turmeric rice and home-made flat breads :D made with honey-ec's recipe. These were awesome!

2011-08-16+19.26.55.jpg

Went to Blue Bar in Skerries last night. I had the wings. She had the crab & crayfish platter. Both were amazing!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10401

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10402

Last night - Tapas Tuesday in the Two Sisters in Terenure. I had manchego with black pudding on crusty bread, albondigas and patatas bravas. Unfortunately, the only photo I took was this one:

262477_10150403529382678_552147677_10749074_1015629_n.jpg

Night before - Cheat's Coq au Vin. The photo is rubbish, but it was delicious.

DSC01243.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

trackguy wrote: »
    Hi Fajitas, how long did you cook the pork for? The crackling looks better than anything I've ever seen! Did you do anything special to it to get it extra, erm, crackly?

Four hours in total, the first 30 mins were at 200, then knocked down to about 100 for the rest of the time. I gave the skin a good rub of sea salt & paprika before putting it in. I put a tiny bit of olive oil in the bottom of the roasting tray too. The texture of the meat was beautiful, came apart real easy.

The crackling needed an extra bit at the end, so I popped it underneath the grill on its highest for about 3 minutes, until the crackling was really hard to touch.

If you find your crackling isn't really after coming up in the middle, but it has around the corners, put some tinfoil over it, and cut out the tinfoil in the shape of the part that hasn't raised before putting it under the grill, it'll save the edges getting burnt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Last night - Tapas Tuesday in the Two Sisters in Terenure. I had manchego with black pudding on crusty bread, albondigas and patatas bravas. Unfortunately, the only photo I took was this one:

Night before - Cheat's Coq au Vin. The photo is rubbish, but it was delicious.

What's the grub like in the Two Sisters? Must give it a try some time. Also would love to know how you do your cheat's Coq au Vin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

lamb kebabs from the butcher and some rice and veg

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    What's the grub like in the Two Sisters? Must give it a try some time. Also would love to know how you do your cheat's Coq au Vin?

The food is lovely. They only do tapas on Tuesdays, but their regular menu is just as nice. They do bacon & colcannon cakes with a poached egg on top as a starter and they are to die for!

Coq au Vin recipe is here:

http://ruminationsrugbyruination.blogspot.com/2011/08/post-twelfth-in-which-our-heroine-muses.html

Insipred by a blog post from 'Kelly Cooks' http://rkfood.blogspot.com/2011/08/thai-shredded-chicken.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FhiHdW+%28Easy+Food%29 I made this - used the lettuce as cups for the noodles, chicken, vegetables and pine nuts.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10416

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

A chicken, lemon and rosemary recipe I de-constructed from a M&S special I had once.
    Mixed with maris piper potatoes, carrot and spinach.

171275.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chicken legs grilled with tomatoes, garlic and broad beans.
    Rocket and lettuce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Home made salami, mushroom and black olive pizza.
    I'm still working towards the elusive perfectly round pizza :D

171408.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pts wrote: »
    Home made salami, mushroom and black olive pizza.
    I'm still working towards the elusive perfectly round pizza :D

Why, so it looks like a frozen pizza?
    You pizza looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Eriu79

I'm making a coddle.

Weekend so far, crab pasta Friday night, garlic n chili prawns with rice and fried chickpeas with salt and lemon on Saturday, chili Saturday night, with corn chips and sour cream and there'll be more of that today. Am trying to empty my pantry out, so using up tins and freezer.

• Advertisement

Steak with cottage cheese dressing, baby spuds and spinach salad. I overcooked the steak :mad:

DSC01249.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement