Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

With Mrs. Beer away I've been pretty bad for cooking but last night I felt like some simple luxury. I had my meal as three separate courses over a few hours rather than one big plate of food:

first_course.jpg
    Tomato, basil and onion salad.

second_course.jpg
    Vermicelli with rocket and marjoram pesto made with brazil nuts and Coolea mature cheese.

third_course.jpg
    detail.jpg
    T bone steak cooked blue with nothing but salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Mrs Beer back today so I fed her some homemade pizza

pizza_1_1.jpg
    Cheese, Tomato, Olives, Capers and Jalapeños - (Irish buffalo mozzarella and Irish goats gouda)

pizza_2_1.jpg
    Cheese, Tomato, Parma(ish) ham and Rocket

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I overcooked the steak :mad:

Was it only feebly mooing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Pappardelle with tomato & pepper sauce, finished off with Italian sausage from Ed Hick

69mn0p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Spaghetti and meatballs =D

2011-08-21+14.57.42.jpg

*sings the lady and the tramp*

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon without the small onions which I forgot about. Made this on Sat evening and ate it yesterday. Absolutely fantastic stuff and washed it down with a nice Bordeaux that I picked up in France over the summer. Still full this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Love her bourgignon recipe. I leave out the shallots on purpose though: I prefer it without them.

Teriyaki steak soba tonight

161j6fk.jpg

Tonight we had lamb chops with rocket and marjoram pesto, polenta, tomatoes (all done on the gas BBQ), wilted spinach (leaf beet, actually) and a lettuce, rocket and basil salad with homemade dressing (not pictured) and it was actually warm enough to eat in the garden.:D

chops.jpg

Teriyaki steak soba tonight

That looks fantastic;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

One Pot Bacon, Beans and Sweet Potato, adapted from a Thomasina Miers recipe. Had it with some homemade sourdough to mop up that sauce

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10434

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

trackguy wrote: »
    One Pot Bacon, Beans and Sweet Potato, adapted from a Thomasina Miers recipe. Had it with some homemade sourdough to mop up that sauce

Oh that looks delish, any chance of the recipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Last night was gnocchi putanesca bake - gorgeous but had it almost devoured when I thought of grabbing the phone to take a pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Potato, thyme and spicy sausage quesedillas with a simple salad and a really tasty bbq sauce I picked up in NYC recently :)
    picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=10436

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

With Mrs. Beer away I've been pretty bad for cooking but last night I felt like some simple luxury. I had my meal as three separate courses over a few hours rather than one big plate of food:

third_course.jpg

T bone steak cooked blue with nothing but salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
    Where did you get your T-Bone steak from?

Where did you get your T-Bone steak from?

Believe it or not I picked it up in Tesco in the reduced to clear section. It was their Finest range Angus. Twas very nice and was reduced from €9.68 to €5.65.
    To be honest, I only ever buy meat in Tesco if it is reduced considerably but I must say that this was a fine steak - I warmed it in a low oven oven for about 15 minutes before searing it on a scorching hot gas BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Prawn and Avocado Salad for myself;

prawnavocadosaladgarlic.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Chicken and Leek Stroganoff

2011-08-23+14.50.35.jpg

Caros wrote: »
    Oh that looks delish, any chance of the recipe?

Sure thing - its on my blog :)

Chicken gyoza with sweet chilli and soy dipping sauce

23r4da8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Chicken gyoza with sweet chilli and soy dipping sauce

23r4da8.jpg

Yum! Did you buy the gyoza wrappers or did you make it from scratch because I can't seem to get my hands on them anywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

Believe it or not I picked it up in Tesco in the reduced to clear section. It was their Finest range Angus. Twas very nice and was reduced from €9.68 to €5.65.
    To be honest, I only ever buy meat in Tesco if it is reduced considerably but I must say that this was a fine steak - I warmed it in a low oven oven for about 15 minutes before searing it on a scorching hot gas BBQ.
    wow, very nice indeed.

• Advertisement

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Yum! Did you buy the gyoza wrappers or did you make it from scratch because I can't seem to get my hands on them anywhere....

I bought them. They're usually in the freezer section of any good Asian supermarket. It is definitely possible to make them though:

http://www.lafujimama.com/2009/08/time-to-wrap-things-up-homemade-gyoza/

http://1tess.wordpress.com/2008/02/18/gyoza-the-japanese-pot-sticker/

Prawns and spaghetti in a sundried tomato, lemon and white wine sauce with rocket

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10441

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pork Pasta Bake

500g minced pork
    250g pasta shells
    1 jar bunalun pasta sauce
    1tbsp sundried tomato paste
    0.25 pint veg stock
    Garlic
    1tsp sugar
    1tsp rosemary
    1tsp oregano
    Breadcrumbs
    Parmesan

Cook the mince and add in the tomato sauce, paste, sugar, herbs and stock and simmer about 20 minutes. Meanwhile cook the pasta and preheat the oven. When the pasta has cooked and the meat sauce thickened put in an oven proof dish, top generously with breadcrumbs and cheese and bake at 180C for about 15 minutes until topping is golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Not the most colourful meal but very tasty, sausage with lentils;

picturegqa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

trackguy wrote: »
    Prawns and spaghetti in a sundried tomato, lemon and white wine sauce with rocket

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10441

Hi Trackguy...do you have a recipe for this as it looks fab?!! Did you use pre-cooked prawns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Whore's spaghetti - it's your only man.

My friend made this last night. It was soooo good. I'll be making it very soon. Delicious. She added black olives too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made my first attempt at chicken and mushroom pie. It was lovely! I slightly over-salted it, but other than that, it was delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

tagliatelle with tuna, onion, broccoli and creme fresh.

Taglitelli.jpg

Hi Trackguy...do you have a recipe for this as it looks fab?!! Did you use pre-cooked prawns?

Yeah sure. It's a Jamie Oliver recipe. It is enough for 4 people. The recipe calls for uncooked prawns but you could adapt it to use cooked ones (probably adding them after the white wine and tomato.)

Ingredients
    450g spaghetti
    600g uncooked prawns, shelled and de-veined
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    1 tsp of chilli flakes
    1 lemon, zest and juice
    1 wineglass of white wine
    2 tbsp of sundried tomato puree (or finely chopped sundried tomato in olive oil)
    2 handfuls of rocket, roughly chopped
    Olive oil

Cook your spaghetti in boiling salted water. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water.
    Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a large frying pan and bring up to heat. Add your garlic and dried chilli. When the garlic starts to colour add your prawns and fry for 1 minute.
    Add the white wine and sundried tomato and combine. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes on a good simmer until the harsh smell of the wine has receded.
    Add the lemon juice and half the rocket. Combine with the spaghetti and mix together.
    Divide between the plates and top with the lemon zest and the remaining rocket.

• Advertisement

Madhur Jaffery's Lamb Bhuna. Had it with some basmati rice, naan and beetroot chutney.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10448

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement