Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Lamb chop in a simple marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, cumin and oregano. Had it with potato gratin and some green veg in a mint butter.

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=10449

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beer and mustard chicken casserole with buttered cabbage and mashed spuds.

stew_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Not the most colourful meal but very tasty, sausage with lentils;

Could I have the recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Could I have the recipe please?

Have to admit I can't remember exactly, I'll give it a bash. Sauteed a red onion in the pan with the sausage, for a few minutes, tried not to colour the onion but get the sausage cooking nicely. Then in with some garlic, green peppers and mushrooms, as they were lying around, deglazed with some wine, also added a small bit of balsamic vinegar, then the lentils, a bay leaf and plenty of stock, I believe some worcestersauce was added too. Towards the end of cooking i added a good bit of chopped fresh rosemary and thyme and a squeeze of lemon, mainly added the lemon because i thought it was a tad salty, it worked though. Needless to say plenty of black pepper too as i've a slight problem with the stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Bacon & cabbage, mash, parsley sauce, dijon mustard. Nothing better.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10466

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Made this recipe for lamb chops with a balsamic reduction (and rosemary roast potatoes) - my word this was a tasty sauce! And so easy to make. In fact it was so nice I attacked what was left in the pan with some bread when I was finished! Will definitely be making it again, with different meats also. Unfortunately just as I plated up a little voice from upstairs announced a well timed full nappy and in the rush I forgot to take a photo!

Chicken pot pie with roasted sweet potatoes :)

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=10467

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭omah

must try out some of these recipes - the photos making my mouth water!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Beer and mustard chicken casserole with buttered cabbage and mashed spuds.

Would love a recipe for that please?

Homemade 'fried' pizza

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10471

• Advertisement

Last night was a case of use what you can find in the fridge. So I was able to rustle up a BLT and chips. Nothing amazing but it definitely hit the spot :)

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=10473

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Would love a recipe for that please?

Not exactly a recipe but....

In a big pot or flameproof casserole fry some bacon pieces (smoked or unsmoked as you like) til a bit browned and crispy. Throw in some whole peeled shallots, chunky cut carrots, couple of sticks of chopped celery, a chopped onion and a few crushed cloves of garlic. Add a knob of butter and turn down the heat.

Season some chicken pieces on the bone (I used thighs and drumbsticks - 3 of each) and toss them in a bag with a generous tablespoon of flour. Toss any remaining flour into the casserole and stir well. In a frying pan, over a moderate heat, brown the chicken in some oil (might take two or more goes in the pan) and add to your veg.

Put in some fresh thyme and a bay leaf. Add a good tablespoon of mustard of your choice (I used a wholegrain Dijon-English mustard probably too strong), a few peppercorns, some chicken stock*. Pour off the fat from the frying pan, pour in your beer and get all the lovely bits of browned flour and bits of chicken off the bottom of the pan and add to the casserole.**

Stir carefully and simmer over a low flame for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or put in a low oven (150C) for 2 hours. Serve with mash and some chopped flat leaf parsley sprinkled over.

* I had some homemade stock, reduced in the freezer. I'd guess this was the equivalent of about 50cl made up stock cube/stock pot thingy but watch the saltiness of these.

** I used 50cl Old Speckled for this. It was quite 'beery' (no problem for me) but you could use less beer and more stock if that's not to your liking. Any fairly mild amber or copper coloured ale will do for this (dark ale would be too strong for this but would be great with shin beef). For a lighter flavour you could use a very pale ale or even lager.

I've used this exact method with rabbit and it is incredibly tasty.
    Omit the mustard and use wine (red or white) instead of beer and you have Coq Au Vin.
    Or use beef or lamb and a dark beer but cook for longer.
    A leek wouldn't go astray in the dish either but I didn't have any.
    Use more or less mustard to taste - good way of using up almost finished jars of various mustards in the fridge.

This is really the basis of almost any stew so play around with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Chicken pot pie with roasted sweet potatoes :)

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=10467

Could I have the recipe for the chicken pot pie please?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Could I have the recipe for the chicken pot pie please?

Of Course :)

INGREDIENTS:
    -Salt and pepper
    -50g butter
    -1 large onion chopped
    -3 celery sticks diced
    -1 large carrot diced
    -1 large potato diced
    -50g flour
    -500ml chicken stock
    -250ml cream
    -500g chicken breasts
    -300g ready made puff pastry
    -1 medium egg with 1 tbsp water

METHOD
    1. Melt butter in pan add onion, celery, carrot and potato. Saute for 10 mins
    until soft. Add the flour and stir well cook for a further 2 mins.

2. Pour in the stock and cream and season well. Bring to a simmer and cook
    for 15 mins until thickened. Add the chicken and cook through for 5 mins.

3. Spoon the filling into a pie dish. Roll out the puff pastry to a large round
    and cut out a circle large enough for the pie lid. I cut out strips to line the
    rim of my dish so the lid had somthing to hold on to when I placed it on
    top. Crimp in the edges to seal and brush with the egg wash. Sweetheart
    design on top optional ;)

4. Bake in pre heated oven at 200 degrees for 40 to 50 mins until golden
    brown and the filling is bubbling hot.

5. Enjoy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you - will try it out soon.

Of Course :)

INGREDIENTS:
    -Salt and pepper
    -50g butter
    -1 large onion chopped
    -3 celery sticks diced
    -1 large carrot diced
    -1 large potato diced
    -50g flour
    -500ml chicken stock
    -250ml cream
    -500g chicken breasts
    -300g ready made puff pastry
    -1 medium egg with 1 tbsp water

METHOD
    1. Melt butter in pan add onion, celery, carrot and potato. Saute for 10 mins
    until soft. Add the flour and stir well cook for a further 2 mins.

2. Pour in the stock and cream and season well. Bring to a simmer and cook
    for 15 mins until thickened. Add the chicken and cook through for 5 mins.

3. Spoon the filling into a pie dish. Roll out the puff pastry to a large round
    and cut out a circle large enough for the pie lid. I cut out strips to line the
    rim of my dish so the lid had somthing to hold on to when I placed it on
    top. Crimp in the edges to seal and brush with the egg wash. Sweetheart
    design on top optional ;)

4. Bake in pre heated oven at 200 degrees for 40 to 50 mins until golden
    brown and the filling is bubbling hot.

5. Enjoy :D

Honey and mustard baked ham, mash, carrots and broccoli with parsley and parmesan sauce. Wonderful. Lots of delicious ham left for sambos with batch bread tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Had to post this...

My OH made a quiche this evening but used the wrong type of pastry:pac:

31082011400.jpg

I have to say though it was absolutely delicious, probably the nicest quiche I've ever had. If anyone wants to recreate this culinary masterpiece just follow this recipe from the cooking club but replace the shortcrust pastry with puff pastry. Delicious:D

Honey and mustard baked ham, mash, carrots and broccoli with parsley and parmesan sauce. Wonderful. Lots of delicious ham left for sambos with batch bread tomorrow.

Hi neuro-praxis, could i have the recipe for the Parmesan sauce please?

Parmesan-crusted chicken with a spicy red pepper sauce

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10515

trackguy wrote: »
    Hi neuro-praxis, could i have the recipe for the Parmesan sauce please?

Sure, it's a very basic white sauce method. I'm afraid I didn't measure as I went, though, I estimated.

Melt a heaped tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in a heaped tablespoon of flour to create a roux. Return to a low heat and stir continuously until the roux is pale and bubbling. Remove from heat. Add a splash of milk and stir until smooth. Repeat this step until you have a thin milky lump-free sauce - I think I used just over half a pint of milk. Return to the heat and stir until thick and bubbling. Turn the heat down low and add a tablespoon of chopped parsley (or a teaspoon of dried) and 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan (or any cheese). Stir until smooth and creamy. If it's too thick at this point, add a little more milk. If it's slightly too thin, some more cheese will thicken it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

just made a quick and relatively healthy dinner, chicken wrapped in procuto(sp?) ham done in the oven with some peppers, onions and asparagus grilled and sprinkled with some garlic and balsamic vinegar and some udon noodles

I was treated to shredded chicken quesadillas with pico de gallo and chips!

T'was delicious!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10518

Fish in beer batter and home-made chips. Tartare sauce too.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10531

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10532

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

beef strip enchiladas, with salad. It was yummm. Should have taken a photo, but never thought about it.

Tonight its spagetti and prawns which somebody posted the recipe for on this thread a while ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

moved into my new apartement decided to make something :p first time out on my own at 19 ,liking the cooking

roast potatoes,seasoned with the mix of paprika ,olive oil, parsley, butter, a little salt and black pepper , and topped with mozzarella cheese

with breaded fish ,pea's and sweat corn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tapas style tonight with Gambas Pil Pil (prawns in garlic & chili oil), along with assorted snacks. The prawns turned out amazingly well, and the oil is so flavoursome.

Recipe is up on my blog here.

DSC_0002+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

trackguy wrote: »
    Fish in beer batter and home-made chips. Tartare sauce too.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10531

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10532

Any chance I could get the beer batter recipe from you? I've tried a few times to make fish in batter, but my batter always sticks to the basket. I've heated the oil up till it's nice and hot before I put the fish in, but its always sticks. Any idea why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You need to hold the fish in the oil for a few seconds to allow the batter to harden up before you let in fall in fully.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Didn't take a picture of it, but I bought Teso's finest Lamb Shanks the other day. Cooked them today, and they are fantastic. They were in a red wine and herb sauce. Fab. Threw a bulb of garlic into the pop with them. And had them with chunky carrots, green beens, and mash with fresh parsley. I devoured mine, and have half of hers for tea later or dinner tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Any chance I could get the beer batter recipe from you? I've tried a few times to make fish in batter, but my batter always sticks to the basket. I've heated the oil up till it's nice and hot before I put the fish in, but its always sticks. Any idea why?

Sure thing - the recipe is on my blog

As Dudara said, if you are frying in a basket, you will need to hold the fish as you slowly lower it into the oil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement