Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tag-lit-elle with bacon bits, chorizo, onions, cream fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I had a Pork and Cider Stew... Then

FERRERO ROCHER CUPCAKES

2011-09-09+19.56.29.jpg

I am in love.

*Drowns in chocolate*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just been gifted a rather excellent copy of Pie Minister, a book on pies.

Totally inspired, so made a round of shortcrust and a round of what they call 'rough puff' pastry. Had purchased a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket yesterday, so stripped the remaining meat off the bones today.

Then:

Sauted a handful of chopped shallots in butter. Added two cloves of garlic, sliced. Added the chopped chicken. Then added a 400g tin of butter beans with liquid, and a 400g tin of white beans, drained. Added a tin of anchovies, drained, plus a tablespoon or so of fresh thyme. Sprinkled over about two teaspoons of flour to thicken the liquid. The result was a good, solid, non-runny pie filling that tasted good.

Preheated the oven, put in a couple of baked potatoes, then assembled the pie and put that in the oven too.

It was extemely tasty, and the pastry making process was actually enjoyable. The pastry lid shrunk a little from the pie, but the 'rough puff' is excellent - it's buttery and flaky but doesn't rise as much as classic puff pastry.

Forgot to take a pic until about two hours after dinner, so the 'just cooked' sheen is gone off it, but still.

DSCN0942-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Chicken in milk with baked onions & roasted garlic mash.

316141_10150430757707678_552147677_11001165_126495298_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dahtac

Pork shoulder for dinner last night

6132052507_fd3d4ac3f1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seared striploin with polenta, tomato and saffron reduction and mixed leaves (not pictured).

steak_7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

On Thursday evening I had a Pad Kra Prao (spicy thai beef with french beans, babmoo shoots & basil) in the excellent 'Asia' area of the food court in Zurich Airport.

It was full of flavour, but by Jesus was it hot. My eyes lost focus several times while eating. A delicious, but somewhat scary meal.

but the 'rough puff' is excellent - it's buttery and flaky but doesn't rise as much as classic puff pastry.

I've been singing the praises of rough puff pastry on here for some time now.
    It's fantastic for pies and stupidly easy to make and handle. Works really well as a bottom crust in a pie too.

I've been singing the praises of rough puff pastry on here for some time now.
    It's fantastic for pies and stupidly easy to make and handle. Works really well as a bottom crust in a pie too.

Hmm the measures in your recipe are way off from the measures I used, as governed by the pie minister people. Theirs is - 250g flour, 250g cold butter in 1cm cubes, 150ml ice cold water and a tsp lemonjuice.

The rolling folding resting is similar, but with two rests. Will have to try yours and check out the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I had 2 darnes of steamed salmon with stir fried veg on a bed of rice.

My 5000 thousand post:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Striploin steak with a home-made red wine sauce, home-made chips and M&S bearnaise. They didn't have any tarragon!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10599

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Home made pizza

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=10600

Last night was roast pork (unidentified cut!) with a North African spice rub, roast smashed new potatoes, roast beetroot, carrot and red onion, wilted beetroot leaves and a spicy jus.
    Had the spiced crackling as a snack while the pork was resting:D

Sliced up leftover baked spuds from last night and pan fried them with salt and chili powder, and made juicy home made burgers with dill pickles, a tomato and chili salsa and melted cheese. Nom.

Had roast beef and roast spuds with carrots and turnip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

SNAP!! made my very first roast beef with roasted beetroot,fennel, and aubergine. Lots of red wine. Lemon polenta biscuits and coffee for afters.

Russian Beef Stroganoff (As opposed to the British creamy one)

2011-09-11+16.09.jpg

Anyone know what would make a Russian Stroganoff authentic? Posted the recipe on another site and was told it can't be Russian as there is soy sauce in it.. I would have thought Russia would have had soy sauce for ages being next to China?

I'm not that fussed, just be interesting to know. Tasted amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

smiles302 wrote: »
    Russian Beef Stroganoff (As opposed to the British creamy one)

2011-09-11+16.09.jpg

Anyone know what would make a Russian Stroganoff authentic? Posted the recipe on another site and was told it can't be Russian as there is soy sauce in it.. I would have thought Russia would have had soy sauce for ages being next to China?

I'm not that fussed, just be interesting to know. Tasted amazing!

Drinking it with Vodka will make it authentic.

I suppose a read up on the wikipedia page could give you some insight into its history, regarding using mustard, no onions or mushrooms etc.

No veg? Crazy Russians :D

*Searches for the bottle of vodka*

Last night - chipper.

Night before - beer chili. One of my favourite things to cook and to eat.

302402_10150435362147678_552147677_11040030_386993381_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Last night - chipper.

Night before - beer chili. One of my favourite things to cook and to eat.

I've made Chili before but it was muck. I do love a good Chili though. Would you have a recipe handy for that?

Fart wrote: »
    I've made Chili before but it was muck. I do love a good Chili though. Would you have a recipe handy for that?

I've literally just finished the blog post:

http://ruminationsrugbyruination.blogspot.com/2011/09/post-twenty-first-in-which-everyone.html

Wow, excellent. I'm loving the ingredients list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Szechuan chicken with rice.

174230.jpg

Photo isn't great, but it didn't affect the taste!

Two-way coriander beef in lettuce cups

320310_10150435361807678_552147677_11040029_1819145608_n.jpg

One of my guilty pleasures - Sausages, beans and mash!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10613

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Teriaki Chicken and Sesame noodles

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=10615

Had roast pork roast spuds and steamed veg for dinner.

Simple Chicken Curry. Made my own curry powder - it worked really well

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10619

• Advertisement

Chicken & spinach lasagna. I keep thinking I'm at the end of the spinach in my garden, and it just keeps growing and growing. Definitely the best-value crop I've ever planted.

318769_10150438233042678_552147677_11056011_1573845357_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement