Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Please don't quote pictures. It makes the thread very difficult to read for anyone on a mobile device. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I don't know if everyone knows the name "Vesta", but it was a popular brand in the 1970s and early 1980s. Although nowhere near as popular nowadays, they do still make it. I've bought it once or twice before, left it in the cupboard for ages and made it for the craic and for nostalgia when the mood took me.

Vesta is regarded as being truly awful, awful food...

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=10770

... but I have to admit that this didn't actually taste bad at all! :eek:

The thing is, though, that it takes nearly as long to make this as a from-scratch risotto. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Made yellow spilt pea dahl for tonight...been craving it since reading on here last night. Think I'm going to make crunchy curly kale to go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Chicken Noodle Salad from Wagamama Ways with Noodles book

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10778

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried and grilled chicken thighs on the bone with ginger, chilli, garlic and black beans pushed under the skin and dry sherry and soy sauce in the pan after the frying bit. Stirfried pak choi with the same flavours as the chicken and the defatted liquid from the chicken. Thai brown rice.
    Tasty, cheap and easy:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Strictly speaking it was lunch, but I didn't eat again afterwards, so it counts as dinner too. Was in The Tannery in Dungarvan and had...

Bacon & Butterbean Chowder

DSC01389.JPG

Pollock with a Chorizo, Pine-nut & Parmesan crust

DSC01391.JPG

Chocolate Truffle Cake with Caramel Sauce & Crushed Pistachios

DSC01392.JPG

A Nigella Lawson recipe - Lemony Salmon and Cherry Tomato Cous-cous

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10813

followed by a Pear & Ginger Crumble Cake

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10814

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

trackguy the both look amazing!! Especially that cake nyom nom:D

Thanks Leah!

My dinner last night was a Beef Tagine with butternut squash, from a Jamie Oliver recipe

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10817

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Dinner tonight was beef rogan josh with basmati, and apple crumble and ice cream.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

A very very late dinner of linguini, ariabiata sauce, chorizo and a shake bucket of parmesan. The parmesan was not a good decision.

Neither was the chorizo risotto.

Ditto the chorizo porridge. (That particular one is up there with the liver bolognaise)

Im in a phase so God knows when this will end. Im hoping not as long as the chicken burrittos but longer than the tomatowitheverything month.

Kinda Sausage Cassoulet with broccoli salad. 30 Minute Meals recipe

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10821

Trackguy - do you work in a restaurant?

Chorizo & chickpea stew

300788_10150473382937678_552147677_11277078_1075319125_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sweet potato & coconut soup

Stitch+and+Bear+-+Sweet+Potato+%2526+Coconut+Soup.JPG

dudara wrote: »
    Sweet potato & coconut soup

I'd love the recipe for this Dudara

Trackguy - do you work in a restaurant?

I don't - I'm just obsessed with food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night had people around so I did:
    Roast large free range chicken with my (well Jamie Oliver's, really) usual butter, thyme, garlic, lemon zest and chopped serrano ham under the skin and lemon, garlic, thyme and onion in the cavity.
    Roast garlic, carrots and butternut squash.
    Potato, onion, apple and a black sausage I got in Lisbon bake.

Spiced fruit salad with Greek style yoghurt.

Cheese.

Beer, red wine, port, beer, beer, beer, beer, rum.
    (not huge amounts of beer - rather a selection shared)

Trackguy can you post up the recipe for the pear and ginger crumble please? I have tried to look it up but can't find it. Looks like a perfect autumnal cake.

We had a tasty mushroom risotto tonight.

zogoxs.jpg

• Advertisement

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Trackguy can you post up the recipe for the pear and ginger crumble please? I have tried to look it up but can't find it. Looks like a perfect autumnal cake.

I'll have this for you later Ophiopogon.

Last night I had spiced chicken salad with tzatziki

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10829

Ophiopogon wrote: »

Pear and Ginger Crumble Cake

from Cakes & Bakes from my Mother's Kitchen, ed. Linda Collister

125g unsalted butter
    125g golden caster sugar
    2 eggs, at room temp
    125g plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 firm pears, peeled, cored and sliced
    1 tbsp lemon juice

Crumble topping
    60g plain flour
    1 tsp ground ginger
    50g cold unsalted butter, cubed
    3 tbsp soft light brown sugar

A springform cake tin, 20cm diameter. Base-lined and greased.

METHOD
    Preheat oven to 180 degrees.

Make the crumble. Combine the flour and ginger in a large bowl and add the butter. Quickly rub together with your fingers. Add the sugar and rub again until you have a coarse breadcrumb-like mixture. Put in the fridge while you make the cake.

Beat the softened butter and sugar together until pale. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating all the time until incorporated. Add the flour and baking powder and beat again. Make sure all the flour is mixed in. Spoon this mixture into your tin and level the surface.

Add the lemon juice to the sliced pears. Arrange them on top of the cake mixture. Take the crumble mixture and sprinkle it onto the pears.

Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is golden brown and the cake has risen (it will sink i the middle slightly as it cools).

It will keep for 2/3 days.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10845

Tonight a German friend cooked and I have no idea what the meal was called. But it was absolutely delicious. Pork and mushrooms in a creamy sauce with boiled spuds, buttered green beans and mixed veg. Really moreish.

Thanks so much Trackguy. I am going to make this on Sunday, looks to be just the cake I wanted.

I made Cauilflower cheese last night, it was my first time trying it and I think its the perfect comfort bland type food. Also, horribly overcooked steak.

English (as opposed to French) Onion Soup with (kinda) homemade sausage rolls.

301553_10150483392567678_552147677_11341366_1066067253_n.jpg

Shredded Chicken and Chorizo in an Almond Mole

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10853

One of my best friends is coming home from China today. Im making him bacon and cabbage with mashed potatoes and mustard sauce.
    Then apple tart and cream for dessert.
    And a big mugga tae.

Cant wait!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

dudara wrote: »
    Salad of smoked ham hock, carmelised pear, lamb's lettuce with a mustard vinaigrette.
    Where do you get Lamb's Lettuce, dudara? I used to buy it all the time in France (called "mâche" there -- took ages to find the name in English!) but can't find it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Aard wrote: »
    Where do you get Lamb's Lettuce, dudara? I used to buy it all the time in France (called "mâche" there -- took ages to find the name in English!) but can't find it here.

My local shop "Field & Vine" on Upper Rathmines Road, carries it sometime. It's possibly my favourite lettuce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Thanks -- it's my favourite too. Even just by itself it works, and for something more fancy it needs very little sprucing up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement