Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tuna with beans, onion, sliced potato under a carpet of cheese.

tunabeansandslicedpotatounderacarpetofcheese.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Went to Bijou in Rathgar last night, planning to do the Dine in Dublin menu, but we ended up ordering off the a la carte as none of us really eat dessert, so it worked out cheaper.

I had wild mushroom risotto to start (very mediocre) and haddock & salmon fishcakes for my main, which were much better.

What I really wanted, though, was the 10oz rib-eye with black truffle butter & chips. I'm totally doing steak for dinner tomorrow.

Heading there tonight and might well have the rib eye and will report back!

Last night I spatchcocked a Tesco free range chicken and seasoned it with nandos piri piri and a little bit of garlic infused olive oil. Roast spuds and roast mixed peppers made up the sides. Trying different things with roast spuds ahead of a major gathering at Christmas and definitely getting into the idea of letting them cool completely after par boiling and before roasting...

All went down very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kenco wrote: »
    Trying different things with roast spuds ahead of a major gathering at Christmas and definitely getting into the idea of letting them cool completely after par boiling and before roasting...

Mmmmm interesting!

kenco wrote: »
    Trying different things with roast spuds ahead of a major gathering at Christmas and definitely getting into the idea of letting them cool completely after par boiling and before roasting...

Mmmmm interesting!

In fairness I think 'twas this very forum that put me on that track (seems to help with the crispness) so thanks to all who contribute here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

We had a night of leftovers cobbled together. Reheated cottage pie with reheated fried chicken, with some (freshly made) chips and gravy. Bar a few peas/onions/carrots in the cottage pie, it was distinctly lacking the veg element!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Last night was a lazy night - we had slices of cheese & onion pie (made from Simon Hopkinson's recipe) with chips from the chipper!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Went to Bijou in Rathgar last night, planning to do the Dine in Dublin menu, but we ended up ordering off the a la carte as none of us really eat dessert, so it worked out cheaper.

I had wild mushroom risotto to start (very mediocre) and haddock & salmon fishcakes for my main, which were much better.

What I really wanted, though, was the 10oz rib-eye with black truffle butter & chips. I'm totally doing steak for dinner tomorrow.

Had the Rib-eye and it was good indeed (not mind blowing but good). Had the 'special' starter of poached salmon and crayfish which was mixed in a much the salmon was mediocre but the crayfish were top notch...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

We had vegetable vindaloo with chicken skewers

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11054

followed by an apple tarte tatin. Was all very tasty! :)

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11055

DSC00446_resize.jpg

The other night had free range, pan fried pork chops with a coriander and apple balsamic dressing, sautéed leeks and roast carrots, garlic and Jerusalem artichokes.
    The coriander dressing was inspired by a meal I had in Lisbon recently. Twas very simple and worked very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Beef, stout & blue cheese pot pies

319277_10150510504657678_552147677_11516497_418979579_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I made chorizo and spinach pasta for dinner last night, next time I'll add a bit less chilli to it as it was a bit hot for me. It was still lovely though.

314935_2053061935989_1527754729_31573574_1137426280_n.jpg

Sunday, had my parents around:

Slow roast leg of lamb with ginger, garlic and rosemary poked into slits and cumin, salt, pepper and lemon zest and juice rubbed onto it.
    Roast carrots, garlic, shallots and potatoes.
    Butterbeans with roast tomatoes and caramelised onions.
    Sautéed leeks.
    Cucumber and mint tazatziki.

Glenilen Summerfruits Cheesecake

No pics:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Roast chicken, stuffing, gravy, mash, white sweet potatoes (not great) and creamed spinach.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=11069

In Blue Bar in Skerries last night I had chicken and chorizo lasagne and he had the wings

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11071

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11070

Dinner tonight was a roast chicken with plenty of salt, rosemary & lemon on the skin - and roasted sitting on onions.

When the chicken was cooked, I took it out to rest, added a little bit of stock cube & cornflour mix to the juices to make a rich, lemony gravy.

On the side, we had some sprouting brocoli which had been steamed and then tossed in warm oil with a little chili & garlic.

Dessert was a slice of chocolate & pecan pie made using the Hummingbird Bakery recipe (Cake Days - great cookbook).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Paneer and pea curry. Never cooked it before but it was delicious. Lots of different spices including green cardamoms, fresh ginger, garam masala, chilli powder and turmeric. I have the leftovers for lunch today and I can't wait for 1pm!

376370_10150894372355556_729555555_21376366_181423973_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

dudara wrote: »
    Very slow roast belly pork, with garlic courgettes, fondant potatoes and a apple & ginger sauce.

I have pork belly for tomorrow's dinner, could you give me the recipe for the apple and ginger sauce please, LOVE ginger!!!

DSC00507_resize.jpg

Shepherd's Pie!
    From Sunday's leftover roast lamb and gravy (and butterbeans and roast tomato and garlic).
    Thanks to NewFrockTuesday for the idea of ricing the potato a second time onto the pie:D

That potato looks fantastic!

We had mackerel with soy & ginger and some shop-bought char siu bao (steamed roasted pork buns.)

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=11072

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=11073

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Potato & paneer koftas in a cashew and yogurt sauce. Very nice!

Excuse the mess I made - it's hard to be neat when you're hungry :)

IMG_0686.jpg

• Advertisement

Parmesan and garlic crusted chicken with roast veg and rosemary and onion potatoes

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11084

Caros wrote: »
    I have pork belly for tomorrow's dinner, could you give me the recipe for the apple and ginger sauce please, LOVE ginger!!!

No recipe as such. I think it was some gently fried onion until soft. Then apple chunks added in with some powdered ginger & some fresh crushed coriander. Fry until coated and then cover to get the apple to soften. Add a little sugar if required. Uncover and continue to cook gently until sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

Had Pork & Chorizo Pasta Bake to-night. Was yum!

6295013066_cb0e57fb3f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

While I didn't have this last night, I had it about a week ago, and will probably have it Saturday too: I was dubious at first, but it's really amazing

Saba no Miso (Mackeral with Miso)

2 mackeral (about 400 to 500 g)
    3 T miso (red or brown or mixture)
    1 T light soy sauce
    1 T mirin
    2 T sake
    1 cup water
    1 1/2 T fine sugar
    3 cm fresh ginger

Prep: Fillet the fish, and pin-bone. Cut each fillet into 8 cm chunks. Cut two thick slices of ginger, then cut the remaining ginger into very thin strips for garnishing.

1. Put the ginger slices, sake, mirin, soy sauce, sugar and water into a pot or frying pan big enough to hold the fish slices in one layer. When the sauce boils, let it boil 2 minutes, then add the fish, skin-side up in one layer. When sauce boils again, reduce fire to medium low, put the lid on.

2. Once in a while, baste the fish with the sauce and shake the pan or move the fish gently to prevent them from sticking to the pan. Cook for 10 minutes.

3. Carefully pour out some of the liquid into a bowl, add the miso to the liquid and whisk until the miso is well-blended. Add the miso liquid back into the pan and continue to baste the fish with it.

4. After another 5 minutes, the liquid should be thick. If it isn't, lift out the fish onto a serving plate and increase the heat so that the sauce thickens. Pour the sauce over the fish, top it with the ginger strips and serve with hot plain rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

We had red lentil burgers (well spiced up) , slow cooked red onion gravy, french beans and chips !!! :P

Rigatoni with a spicy sausage sauce

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=11089

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

carolinej wrote: »
    Had Pork & Chorizo Pasta Bake to-night. Was yum!

MMMM looks amazing! Could you post the recipe by any chance?:)

Sausage and chorizo pasta bake

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11091

Chicken Pot Pie with chive mash

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11097

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I had a day of winter food yesterday...just wish it was a bit colder to really apperciate it.

Had polenta porriage for breakfast.

Ham and pea soup for lunch (was my first time having and making this and I can't believe the amount of meat you get off a ham hock)

Baked sausage with rosamary and nutmeg. Roasted cauliflower and potatoes with crunchy cabbage.

I love winter food.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement