Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

had carrot and coriander soup last night ... started it off with some curry paste I had made the day before , bunged a spud and red pepper in too ... finished it off by adding some crunchy peanut butter just before serving .... gives it a nice nutty texture in parts and adds a lil' more flavor !! Twas yum !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Paneer butter masala. Sorry for all the paneer photos but I bought a kilo of it and am working my way through it! All recipes taken from an English language Indian cooking book I got here in a local shop - it's really easy to use though I had to buy a LOT of different spices for my cupboard.

paneerbuttermasala.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night I cooked a piri piri jointed small chicken and served it with herby mash and asparagus drizzled with lime juice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Have enjoyed a few nights with friends and the food has been supoib. I only wish I had photos!

On Wednesday we had a scrumptious chicken and root vegetable casserole with cheesy, herby dumplings and creamy mash with raspberry and ricotta tart for afters.

On Thursday we had garlicky chilli prawns to start with salad, and fresh rolls for dipping, followed by fabulous striploin steaks, buttermilk shoestring onions, potato wedges and coleslaw. Dessert was lemon curt pudding and vanilla ice cream.

On Friday night for no good reason, we had Christmas dinner. :) Turkey, glazed ham, roasties, turnips, carrots, brussells sprouts, stuffing and cranberry sauce, followed by pudding with brandy cream.

I had to be rolled home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Chicken and Pepperoni Gumbo

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11132

Followed by Spiced Carrot Cake, served on a magic floating plate

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11133

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Made a leek & pea risotto and it's just amazing. Finishing off with the last slices of homemade pecan & chocolate pie.

7bkbzg.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That gumbo looks gorgeous, trackguy. Have you got a recipe?

I had a fish finger sandwich :pac:. And it was AMAZING! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Beef and Guinness stew

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Steak with fried onions & tomatoes. And a glass (or two) of a Montepulciano.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Slow roast joint of bacon marinated in honey, soy sauce, Worcester sauce, some cloves and a little bit of brown sugar.

• Advertisement

Aubergine and Tomato curry with Basmati veg rice !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

@ BR - Youre welcome - its one of the best discoveries to date :)

I pretty much lived on Govindas take out last week besides a blueberry pie - sweet pastry, creme St Honour and blueberry compote on top - pretty much my favourite both to make and eat.

Tonight Im making puy lentil sheperds pie with a sweet potato riced topping. Yet another Govindas swipe.

My local Supervalu has stopped stocking the tofu that I use. Its a hard pressed one - kinda like the quorn chicken consistency except smoother. Im a bit distraught because its always in the fridge as a go to.

Faith wrote: »
    That gumbo looks gorgeous, trackguy. Have you got a recipe?

Hi Faith, the recipe is from the 'More Diners, Drive Ins and Dives' book :) -

1 chicken, jointed
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup plain flour
    1 pound pepperoni (or andouille sausage)
    2 ribs of celery, roughly chopped
    1 onion, roughly chopped
    1 green pepper, roughly chopped
    3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    8 bay leaves
    1.1 litres of chicken stock
    3 spring onions, finely sliced
    Handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the jointed chicken pieces and cook on a medium heat for 20 minutes or so until fully cooked. If you like, finish them in the oven. Remove from the pan, leaving the oil behind.

Reduce the heat slightly and add your flour. This will form your roux. Cook again for at least 10 minutes until the roux is the colour of peanut butter.

Now add your bay leaves, celery, onion, pepper and garlic. Sweat gently until the vegetables have softened. Now add your pepperoni and stock. Bring up to the boil and reduce to a simmer for and hour and a half. Stir regularly so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.

Pull the chicken off the bone and add the pot for the last half hour of cooking. When the time is up, remove from the heat and add the spring onions and parsley. Serve with some rice. Enjoy!
    EDIT: don't forget to remove the bay leaves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dahtac

Had a night in by myself last night, good food, drink and some Tarkovsky on the box.

The result:

Mains - As below

6321882862_fe78636bfb.jpg
    Rare Ribeye, Sauted Onions And Mushrooms, Shaved Spicy Sweet Potato

Accompaniment - Liefmans Goudenband Lambic

6321883656_3c37411247.jpg
    Lambicing

Dessert - Knocknanore Smoked cheese, crushed walnuts, pecans and cashews drizzled with honey, raisins and apple slices sprinkledwith cinnamon

6321362343_48f09e7a64.jpg
    Cheese, Fruit and Nut Plate

Dessert Again

6321886110_674eb8482e.jpg
    So Good It Deserves A Second Picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Roast rib of beef served with spuds roasted in lemon and thyme. Veg was roasted parsnips and fennel in a little bit of honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Portuguese Fishcakes. I'm trying to eat more fish, and these were really good. They should technically be made with salt cod but I used smoked coley and fresh cod and they were fab.

297229_10150521101072678_552147677_11590199_1933412033_n.jpg

veg stir fry !

Beef Kebabs with crunchy white cabbage, fresh red chutney, raita and some mango chutney on top. Delish!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11161

Tuna Pasta Bake, absolutely laced with wholegrain mustard. Perfick comfort food.

388834_10150521100672678_552147677_11590195_899937331_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

DSC00777resize.jpg

DSC00778resize.jpg

Pan fried black sole (remembered to skin it this time!) with brown Thai rice and carrot, fennel,ginger, wasabi and lemon slaw. Some very-much-past-its-best-but-nice-all-the-same Pouilly Fumé.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm upset. I think I'll unsubscribe from this thread. A lot of stuff (a) I never heard of and (b) can't get in my local shops. I loved seeing all the recipes, they all look great!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

mushroom and chicken rice bake.

it was a recipe i found on the campbells soup website, it is the quickest and easiet thing i have ever made, tasted good too.

with snickerdoodles and ice cream for desert

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm upset. I think I'll unsubscribe from this thread. A lot of stuff (a) I never heard of and (b) can't get in my local shops. I loved seeing all the recipes, they all look great!

What do you mean? That the recipes posted are no longer what you're interested in?

I had a yummy homemade mushroom soup for lunch. I never liked mushrooms before, but I'm trying to get into eating them. For now, I can eat them if they're not slimy, or if they're blended in a soup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Very little in the fridge tonight so I had buttery sweetcorn pancakes. Ate them with my fingers and made a right mess and it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Faith wrote: »
    What do you mean? That the recipes posted are no longer what you're interested in?

I had a yummy homemade mushroom soup for lunch. I never liked mushrooms before, but I'm trying to get into eating them. For now, I can eat them if they're not slimy, or if they're blended in a soup!

I'm interested in the recipes all right but some of them have ingredients which I don't recognise and haven't seen in my local supermarket. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dahtac wrote: »
    Had a night in by myself last night, good food, drink and some Tarkovsky on the box.

The result:

Mains - As below

Rare Ribeye, Sauted Onions And Mushrooms, Shaved Spicy Sweet Potato

Accompaniment - Liefmans Goudenband Lambic

Lambicing

Dessert - Knocknanore Smoked cheese, crushed walnuts, pecans and cashews drizzled with honey, raisins and apple slices sprinkledwith cinnamon

Cheese, Fruit and Nut Plate

Dessert Again

So Good It Deserves A Second Picture

Looks like the ultimate TV dinner!

Not like me to be pedantic or anything :rolleyes: but Goudenband isn't a Lambic, it's a Flanders Oud Bruin (not from the right area to call it a Lambic).

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm interested in the recipes all right but some of them have ingredients which I don't recognise and haven't seen in my local supermarket. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

I'll offer some suggestions about where to get ingredients - just let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

With regards to the ingredients - I've found that if they don't have them in the shop where I'm looking I'll try to replace it with something along the same lines tastewise

always works out okay for me :)

I don't think there's any particularly esoteric ingredients mentioned. I mean, I live in Tullow and I'm able to get pretty much everything locally. What are you finding hard to source and where are you located?

• Advertisement

Puy Lentil Shepherds Pie with stir fried Brussels Sprouts, Toasted Pine Nuts and Chilli.

The mash on top was yum. Potato , Sweet Potato and parsnip with Garlic.

Loads left so will be for dinner again tonight !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement