Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Sorry but that's not a Shepherd's Pie... as the name would suggest, a Shepherd's pie is made with lamb. Lentil pie is the name you want!

Today went for a lunch in a local restaurant... had mushroom mutter which is a type of mild curry with mushrooms, garden peas and cardamon pods. Yum!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Last night was the soup run night so alls I gots was acuppa cupa cupasoup and a sandwich and a mini bag of Maltesers.

So instead, I am posting a pic of the blueberry & raspberry pie I made last weekend. It has sweet pastry underneath, creme St honour and blueberry compote on top. Im making a raspberrry one tonight and a few friends are coming around and we are going to have sheperds pie.

@tBR -you dont need to mash the potatoes before you rice them onto the pie. I just knocked them about a bit with the usual s&p, nutmeg and butter. Came out grand. Im getting very lazy in my dotage. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Sorry but that's not a Shepherd's Pie... as the name would suggest, a Shepherd's pie is made with lamb. Lentil pie is the name you want!

Today went for a lunch in a local restaurant... had mushroom mutter which is a type of mild curry with mushrooms, garden peas and cardamon pods. Yum!

em the name i put was Puy Lentil Shep Pie so I would think it was quite clear.

But if we are being pedantic about it then fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Id call it Lentil Sheperds Pie too. It lets you know exactly what to expect - ie the Sheperd format of filling plus topping - whereas lentil pie is very vague. will there be a crust? Open pie? Fritatta esque?

Susie - get some coffee ;) Youre very grouchy this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Alzy - take no notice.

Back on-topic folks...

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Alzy wrote: »
    Puy Lentil Shepherds Pie with stir fried Brussels Sprouts, Toasted Pine Nuts and Chilli.

The mash on top was yum. Potato , Sweet Potato and parsnip with Garlic.

Loads left so will be for dinner again tonight !

Looks gorgeous Alzy. Would you mind pm'in me the receipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

<snip>

When I say "Back on topic" - please heed the warning.
    Do not continue to mention the off-topic comments.

tHB.

We had paella last night from the cookery club recipe.
    It was devine.

8d1c0759.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight is going to be beef short ribs stewed in Liefmans Goudenband.
    I think I'll serve it with pearl barley and green beans.

I'll post pics later if I remember to take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Tonight is going to be beef short ribs stewed in Liefmans Goudenband.
    I think I'll serve it with pearl barley.

I'll post pics later if I remember to take them.

You better post pics! Sounds amazing:P

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Im planning on making sweet and sour chicken (not from the jar :P) so il stick some pictures up!

• Advertisement

trackguy wrote: »
    You better post pics! Sounds amazing:P

Oh alright!!;)

DSC00815rs.jpg

I used slices of bread with mustard on to thicken it which unfortunately doesn't give the sauce a very attractive look. Tastes fantastic, though:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm about to start making a chicken and mushroom pie - yum!

I was treated to Chicken & Tomato Enchiladas with a salad dressed in soy and sweet chilli. Delish!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11187

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Beef and Guinness stew

What recipe did you use for this? looks divine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

FF0F8D0218F24565A65A7634B39844CD-0000316660-0002625205-00500L-44A212E7D5F0472DA8C0019DC2600A94.jpg

Poached salmon with hollandaise sauce, green beans and potatoes. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Justask wrote: »
    What recipe did you use for this? looks divine

2 lb lean stewing beef
    3 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons flour
    salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne
    2 large onions, coarsely chopped
    1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)
    2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
    1 1/4 cups Guinness
    2 cups carrots, cut into chunks
    sprig of thyme

Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture.

Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan.

Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary.

Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender - 2 to 3 hours.

Enjoy!

Last night was tomato and chicken enchiladas. Tonight I made an amatriciana sacuce for pasta. Was yummy :D

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11188

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Beef kofta curry. Crappy phone photo, sorry.

383995_10150528041437678_552147677_11616490_1662422814_n.jpg

Nigella Lawson's 'Ritzy Chicken Nuggets' with wedges and a salad. Franks mixed with mayo on the side.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11195

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night I tried out a new recipe for a pork curry with Sambal spices. Delish!

(But I've had a certain Johnny Cash song on my mind all morning. :o)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

trackguy wrote: »
    Nigella Lawson's 'Ritzy Chicken Nuggets' with wedges and a salad. Franks mixed with mayo on the side.

Oh I never thought of mixing Franks with mayo. Gonna try it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

After 2 days of stomach filling puy lentil shepherds pie opted for some soup.

Butternut Squash with Coriander,Chilli and Lime ..... twas yum !

Oh I never thought of mixing Franks with mayo. Gonna try it later.

Frank's with everything! God, I love that stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Did this last night;

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4765/parmesan-and-parsleycrusted-salmon

had it with some baby spuds (boiled) and some barely boiled asparagus

The salmon was very good and worked out extremely well considering I realised I had no bread crumbs but the college training kicked in and a crumbled slice of wholemeal did the trick!

TRY IT OUT!

Burger with applewood cheese, pickles and home made onion rings

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11201

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was masterstock chicken with noodles. Recipe from Luke Nguyen on Masterchef Australia. His method was to make the masterstock, bring to boil and then steep the bird in the liquid with the heat off for an hour. Result was not good. Chicken was not cooked near the bone. Easily rescued but I hate it when recipes don't work. Next time I'll poach the bird for 30 mins on the heat then steep for another 30 with the heat off.

Have to say the flavour was gorgeous.

Minder wrote: »
    Dinner was masterstock chicken with noodles. Recipe from Luke Nguyen on Masterchef Australia. His method was to make the masterstock, bring to boil and then steep the bird in the liquid with the heat off for an hour. Result was not good. Chicken was not cooked near the bone. Easily rescued but I hate it when recipes don't work. Next time I'll poach the bird for 30 mins on the heat then steep for another 30 with the heat off.

Have to say the flavour was gorgeous.

Maybe your pot of stock wasn't big enough to retain enough heat. Also, if your chicken was just out of the fridge that might affect it too.

Had big, fat rib eyes on the bone cooked medium rare with potato rosti, slow roast tomatoes, wilted spinach and some Jerusalem artichoke slaw.
    We've been roasting, frying and making soup from the artichokes for a few years now but this was the first time I've used them raw. Very pleased with the results - I just grated it and added some lemon juice, olive oil, mustard and a tiny bit of honey and it went really well with the steak.
    No pics, though:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Maybe your pot of stock wasn't big enough to retain enough heat. Also, if your chicken was just out of the fridge that might affect it too.

Maybe - it's 6 litres of stock. Rolling boil then off. Chook was out of the fridge for 30 mins before it went in the pot. It's probably about trying to keep the breast meat moist while cooking the leg. The poached bird is halved, bathed in maltose & vinegar before drying and then it has hot oil ladled over it to crisp the skin. But I'd rather err on the overcooked side.

Minder wrote: »
    Maybe - it's 6 litres of stock. Rolling boil then off. Chook was out of the fridge for 30 mins before it went in the pot. It's probably about trying to keep the breast meat moist while cooking the leg. The poached bird is halved, bathed in maltose & vinegar before drying and then it has hot oil ladled over it to crisp the skin. But I'd rather err on the overcooked side.

Ah, that's not a small pot of stock. And you took the highly contentious decision to leave a chicken out of the fridge for more than 30 seconds.:eek::eek:
    Must be a flawed recipe - I shouldn't have doubted you!

• Advertisement

Sheftalia - Greek meatballs (pork mince)...

380263_10150532423117678_552147677_11634329_707992709_n.jpg

Stuffed with a cube of feta.

380316_10150532422887678_552147677_11634327_869299090_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement