Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

And you took the highly contentious decision to leave a chicken out of the fridge for more than 30 seconds.:eek::eek:

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

We had a rolled rib of roast beef tonight, slathered in mustard and roasted medium. It was melt-in-the-mouth. With roasties, veg and gravy. Absolutely scrumptious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Been v. quiet on the cooking front for a long time. Been moving house and travelling.

Now live in the tropics, with ready access to fresh fruit and veg, and seafood. Will be interesting to see what effect this has!

Cooked chicken curry in someone else's house last night - you know the way, you get there, they're busy putting the kids to bed so you just get on with it and 20 minutes later they appear in the kitchen and you've half their pantry out on the counter and there are some bubbling pots well underway... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Been v. quiet on the cooking front for a long time. Been moving house and travelling.

Now live in the tropics, with ready access to fresh fruit and veg, and seafood. Will be interesting to see what effect this has!

Cooked chicken curry in someone else's house last night - you know the way, you get there, they're busy putting the kids to bed so you just get on with it and 20 minutes later they appear in the kitchen and you've half their pantry out on the counter and there are some bubbling pots well underway... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Fish pie. I'm not the biggest fish eater, so this was at the very upper limits of my fishy tolerance, but OH demolished it.

383283_10150532834412678_552147677_11636651_1989742279_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Shanagarry Chicken Casserole with mash

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11213

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

2 lb lean stewing beef
    3 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons flour
    salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne
    2 large onions, coarsely chopped
    1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)
    2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
    1 1/4 cups Guinness
    2 cups carrots, cut into chunks
    sprig of thyme

Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture.

Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan.

Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary.

Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender - 2 to 3 hours.

Enjoy!

Saw your photo over the weekend and had to have it! Did it in the slow cooker today. Absolutely gorgeous - Thanks.

181343.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

2 lb lean stewing beef
    3 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons flour
    salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne
    2 large onions, coarsely chopped
    1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)
    2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
    1 1/4 cups Guinness
    2 cups carrots, cut into chunks
    sprig of thyme

Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture.

Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan.

Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary.

Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender - 2 to 3 hours.

Enjoy!

Thanks again Karen :)

Folks you have to try this its soooooo good. I made it but got called out and couldnt eat it that night so had it the following night. Its just divine and easy to make.

I did use the whole can of guniness tho. (small can)
    Specially for the cold nights. Its what i call 'Mind me food' :)

Saw your photo over the weekend and had to have it! Did it in the slow cooker today. Absolutely gorgeous - Thanks.

I didnt see your post before I sent mine :o

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Fish pie. I'm not the biggest fish eater, so this was at the very upper limits of my fishy tolerance, but OH demolished it.

Can I be a real pain in the ar$e and ask for the recipe :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight we had aromatic duck with homemade plum sauce, pancakes (bought) cucumber and spring onion and some stir-fried Chinese leaves to bulk it out.
    Yumm

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Justask wrote: »
    Thanks again Karen :)

Folks you have to try this its soooooo good. I made it but got called out and couldnt eat it that night so had it the following night. Its just divine and easy to make.

I did use the whole can of guniness tho. (small can)
    Specially for the cold nights. Its what i call 'Mind me food' :)

Glad you enjoyed it :D its a great winter warmer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had Winzerrösti as I was making it for The Cooking Club.

181355.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,590 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Faith wrote: »
    I'm about to start making a chicken and mushroom pie - yum!

Got me thinking, as anybody got any suggestion for an alternative to puff pastry pie toppings?
    I'm looking for soemthing a bit lower is calories/fat. I know nothign will tasty similar, i'm just looking for something top reduce the calories that tastes decent.

So far all i have is mashed potato or mashed sweet potato

Grilled Chicken with Penne Amatriciana

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11222

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Turkey & Aubergine Bake
    979676a4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Tucking in to some Guinness Stew á la Darina via xxxkarenxxx made by the fair hands of my OH. Especially tasty after being reheated :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tomato and basil soup - also a Darina Allen recipe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

DSC00825rs.jpg

Fried and grilled chicken thighs; fried polenta; artichoke, carrot, spring onion and apple slaw; and winey pan juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Beef & everything but the kitchen sink stir fry.
    825ff302.jpg

• Advertisement

Nigella Lawson's Korean Calamari

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11227

Mellor wrote: »
    Got me thinking, as anybody got any suggestion for an alternative to puff pastry pie toppings?
    I'm looking for soemthing a bit lower is calories/fat. I know nothign will tasty similar, i'm just looking for something top reduce the calories that tastes decent.

So far all i have is mashed potato or mashed sweet potato

Darina Allen does a variation on her Shanagarry Chicken Casserole (with Herb Crust) where she makes a soda bread dough, mixed with 2 tbsp of your favourite herbs, and cuts scones out of it. She places these on the top of the casserole for the last 30 minutes of cooking (in the oven) until they are baked.

Another option for a topping might be cheesy herby dumplings? Or just plain ones (omitting herbs and cheese)? (This recipe assumes that you have already prepared a wet pie filling that is pretty much completely cooked.)

350g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
    1tsp salt
    3/4 of a teaspoon of bicarb of soda
    2 tablespoons of fresh chopped mixed green herbs
    300 ml buttermilk
    50g grated cheddar

Preheat the oven to 230 celsius.

Sift the flour and bicarb into large bowl. Stir in the salt and herbs. Make a well and add most of the buttermilk and form a soft dough. Withhold 50ml of buttermilk and only add it if the dough seems dry. The dough should, as I say, be soft, but not wet and sticky. Don't knead it. Roll out into a thick 2cm round and using a small scone cutter, cut out 10-12 ish dumplings. Put them on top of the previously cooked and prepared pie filling, which I am assuming will be liquidy, giving them space to expand. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until swollen, and golden and crispy on top.

trackguy wrote: »
    Darina Allen does a variation on her Shanagarry Chicken Casserole (with Herb Crust) where she makes a soda bread dough, mixed with 2 tbsp of your favourite herbs, and cuts scones out of it. She places these on the top of the casserole for the last 30 minutes of cooking (in the oven) until they are baked.

Apologies, did not see this! Mine is actually one I learned from a recipe my friend gave me from a Rachel Allen book.

Apologies, did not see this! Mine is actually one I learned from a recipe my friend gave me from a Rachel Allen book.

Rachel is reproducing Darina's recipes now? :eek: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Justask wrote: »
    Can I be a real pain in the ar$e and ask for the recipe :o

Sorry, only seeing this now. It's a Jamie Oliver recipe, http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-pie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Tuna Pasta Bake, absolutely laced with wholegrain mustard. Perfick comfort food.
    Any chance of a recipe for this?

Chorizo and butterbean stew with red wine and garlic, from a Rick Stein recipe

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11241

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Govindas has been the staple supply all week.

I made a chocolate tart and it was a disaster. It looks lovely but I know it would taste hideous - choclate pastry cream experiment - so Ive left it on the side to look at all week instead of eat. At least Im getting some pleasure from it I suppose. Even the cat wont go near it and hes normally a sure bet for anything left out. :(

I have about a kilo of dark 70% chocolate that I need to use up. Does anyone have any nice easy recpies for chocolate cake? Sally Clarkes Chocolate tart is at the top of my list but Id like to have a few to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have about a kilo of dark 70% chocolate that I need to use up. Does anyone have any nice easy recpies for chocolate cake? Sally Clarkes Chocolate tart is at the top of my list but Id like to have a few to look at.

I'd always go for anything beginning with "Chocolate" or "Squidgy" by Nigella Lawson, and you will find Mr. Google will give you the recipes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement